• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC Fine 6.0 with white pages...Stunning!

77 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind owning the whole run, just to say I did. But with most things, it comes down to what you like. And right now, The Big Red Cheese is beating out The Big Blue Boyscout. grin.gif

Last time I looked Supey is the guy who put out Caps lights way back in the 50s.

Seriously,I like Capt Marvel very much.

Geppi owns the Mile High Whiz #1.Wanna take a shot?

Nah, though I would like to see it once before I die. I should have found a way to pick up that Crowley Copy back a few monthes ago. But I said to myself, "It isn't worth it." I would rather spend the 7K for Mark Z's copy. It is pretty nice except for that horrendously trimmed edge.

I agree on your assessment of the Gerber for Whiz #2(1). 29 Action #1's in Census(8 restored, 1 Qualified, 20 unrestored) to 24 Whiz Comics #2(1)(16 restored, 8 unrestored). Raw copies, I know of about 4 more right off hand.

Whiz Comics #2(1) is more often restored. You would think that it would increase the value for unrestored copies but that is not the case. Again, just because it is rare doesn't mean it will be worth more $$$.

I agree on your assessment of the Gerber for Whiz #2(1). 29 Action #1's in Census(8 restored, 1 Qualified, 20 unrestored) to 24 Whiz Comics #2(1)(16 restored, 8 unrestored). Raw copies, I know of about 4 more right off hand.

Whiz Comics #2(1) is more often restored. You would think that it would increase the value for unrestored copies but that is not the case. Again, just because it is rare doesn't mean it will be worth more $$$.

Hey tim, Speaking of high grade wasnt that Allentown Special Edition #1 A CGC9.8 if I remember!!!!

I Love Allentowns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to see Superman Returns tomorrow.An advance showing. No, I do not think the movie has any effect on the value of Vintage comicbooks the way they use to.The comics have just come to far on there own to have an effect any longer I think.They are selling alot of garbage on HSN though.200.00 a pop for a new comic[autographed] They are actually making people think they are investing in there future.With that said 50,000 copies of Action 800 are sold to a gullible public

Hey tim, Speaking of high grade wasnt that Allentown Special Edition #1 A CGC9.8 if I remember!!!!

I Love Allentowns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't tell you though it wouldn't surprise me. There is only 1 CGC 9.8 Special Edition out there. Unless there is a D copy sitting waiting to be graded. Maybe I should save my money, until one of the Key D Copies hit the market. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't know, but it seems odd that they call themselves "Houston Comic Service", but the books are in Monterey Park.

That's Torpedo Comics -- owned by John Dolmayan (the drummer for the band System of a Down). I was considering buying that Action Comics #2 when I saw it at SuperCon in Oakland but concluded that the $26K asking price was way too high. All the other books listed are his too. He had them up on his wall at the con. This is probably his ebay ID.

Ah, yes, I know John. Did business with him at SD last year. Anyone know from where/whom he purchased the book?

You can definitely see the staining. Scott did the book look as crisp in person and how noticable is the staining at first glance? Or do you have to really look at it?

That book looks real sweet from the pic.

You really have to look closely to see the staining along the bottom because it blends in with the artwork. At arm's length, the book looks like a 7.0. But the water stains are not small (several inches wide at the bottom of the book) and the book looked a little smooshed at the spine/staples which is why I thought it had been pressed incorrectly. Again, this is just my opinion based on what I could see through the slab and I don't have any verification that the book was pressed. I am fairly certain that John D. said that he bought it already in the holder so I doubt he'd know whether the book was pressed or not. And if it was pressed, I still wouldn't care except to the same extent I'd care about any other damage caused to a book whether from pressing, improper storage and handling, etc.

Don't get me wrong -- it's still a KILLER, unbelievably fresh book and if it were priced at or near FMV for a 6.0, I would already own it.

Scott, any reason why every time you mention the possibility the book has been pressed you feel the need to repeat again that you have no problem with that procedure? Why not just simply add that as your signature line? Seems like you are obsessed or are on some sort of crusade. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif