• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC Fine 6.0 with white pages...Stunning!

77 posts in this topic

Don't know, but it seems odd that they call themselves "Houston Comic Service", but the books are in Monterey Park.

That's Torpedo Comics -- owned by John Dolmayan (the drummer for the band System of a Down). I was considering buying that Action Comics #2 when I saw it at SuperCon in Oakland but concluded that the $26K asking price was way too high. All the other books listed are his too. He had them up on his wall at the con. This is probably his ebay ID.

The price is a bit high for a 6.0, but I think it will sell anyway. I've never seen an unrestored Action 2 in nicer shape, and that book looks awesome for a 6.0. Here's what I don't understand though...

How does that book get a 6.0, and the Action 2 on Metro's website get a 6.5?

Action 2 6.5?

I don't think I will ever understand the way CGC grades Golden age comic books frown.gif

Here's what I don't understand though...

Is this one of those questions that answers itself?

I have a feeling that the only reason why this book was dropped to a 6.0 was because of a small inside cover stain. I know I've had couple of nice looking GA books dropped down to this grade due to this reason. Either that or perhaps the comic has a couple of tears on the inside pages. Graders notes would definitely help with this book.

I would say the stain on the cover, the light waterstain and what appears to be staple tearing at top staple. That has such great cover appeal, it is really a shame but I can see where CGC got the grade for that one.

Like skybolt mentioned, there must be a hidden defect not evident in the cover scans as this looks like one of the nicest 6.0 books I've seen. Just grading from the scans it looks like a 7.5 easy. Beautiful book.

I have a feeling that the only reason why this book was dropped to a 6.0 was because of a small inside cover stain. I know I've had couple of nice looking GA books dropped down to this grade due to this reason. Either that or perhaps the comic has a couple of tears on the inside pages. Graders notes would definitely help with this book.

i'm agree with you on that one skybolt but look metro ' s 6.5 do you see it as a 6.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The price is a bit high for a 6.0, but I think it will sell anyway. I've never seen an unrestored Action 2 in nicer shape, and that book looks awesome for a 6.0. Here's what I don't understand though...

Action 2 6.5?

I don't think I will ever understand the way CGC grades Golden age comic books frown.gif

The 6.0 has water staining along the bottom and in the mid-cover area that is really hard to see unless the book is in your hand. My initial thought was the same as yours until I held the book up close and personal. I also believe that the book has been pressed using NDP (which doesn't bother me), but that's just my opinion, not a verified fact.

Bottom line is that this book is not undergraded.

i'm agree with you on that one skybolt but look metro ' s 6.5 do you see it as a 6.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A weak one at best. More like a 5.5/6.0.

I personally don't mind small water stains if the rest of the book is in great condition. I'd take those books over ones with lower QP any day of the week.

I personally don't mind small water stains if the rest of the book is in great condition. I'd take those books over ones with lower QP any day of the week.

I do NOT see Metros 6.5 as a 6.5 looks quite a bit lower. Si or No?????

You can definitely see the staining. Scott did the book look as crisp in person and how noticable is the staining at first glance? Or do you have to really look at it?

That book looks real sweet from the pic.

You really have to look closely to see the staining along the bottom because it blends in with the artwork. At arm's length, the book looks like a 7.0. But the water stains are not small (several inches wide at the bottom of the book) and the book looked a little smooshed at the spine/staples which is why I thought it had been pressed incorrectly. Again, this is just my opinion based on what I could see through the slab and I don't have any verification that the book was pressed. I am fairly certain that John D. said that he bought it already in the holder so I doubt he'd know whether the book was pressed or not. And if it was pressed, I still wouldn't care except to the same extent I'd care about any other damage caused to a book whether from pressing, improper storage and handling, etc.

Don't get me wrong -- it's still a KILLER, unbelievably fresh book and if it were priced at or near FMV for a 6.0, I would already own it.

I do NOT see Metros 6.5 as a 6.5 looks quite a bit lower. Si or No?????

Hard to say. Metro's copy looks like a 9.0 structurally, but the bad miswrap is distracting and it's hard to say how much of a deduction the book should get for a couple of tape stains along the spine. I have a hard time arguing that the book should drop more than it has (from around 9.0 to 6.5 because of the tape stains), but since the tape stains are so prominent and the miswrap so pronounced, the book doesn't look as nice as the FN 6.0 copy, even though the 6.5 is better structurally.