• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

you should be posting in the Victorian Age Forum. Oh wait, this is a COMICS forum... theres isnt a Victorian folder. get it??

ahhh yes, my old buddy Aman619. You must answer these 2 questions:

1. If CGC presenlty lacks a holder suffecient for most Victorian and Platinum Age books, why would they have a Victorian or Platinum age section within their website?

2. If CGC lacks a Platinum/Victorian age holder, does that mean Platinum/Victorian Age comic books are not comic books ?

Why do they have an art forum?

you should be posting in the Victorian Age Forum. Oh wait, this is a COMICS forum... theres isnt a Victorian folder. get it??

ahhh yes, my old buddy Aman619. You must answer these 2 questions:

1. If CGC presenlty lacks a holder suffecient for most Victorian and Platinum Age books, why would they have a Victorian or Platinum age section within their website?

2. If CGC lacks a Platinum/Victorian age holder, does that mean Platinum/Victorian Age comic books are not comic books ?

Why do they have an art forum?

please feel free to stop bringing up great points that make me look bad tonofbricks.gif

there's nothin' ridiculous about discussing and appreciating America's 1st comic book.

Not at all.

So...which part of "The Comical Adventures of the Little Woman, Her Dog and the Peddler" would you like to discuss?

I went to a very large book store this weekend, and they had a great reference section...there must have been 50 differrent comic book price guides, reference guides, history of comics summaries, etc etc. I went up to the counter and asked if they had the comic book reference guide written by Gifflefunk...you know, the one that determines what is and what is not within our industry. Well, it turned they didn't carry that book....I found that odd, don't you?

The moral to the story is: you shouldn't blindly believe everything you read on the Boards to be true makepoint.gif

Did I body slam Sho'-nuff with my response? ....Sho'-nuff !

Is Obadiah Oldbuck the 1st American comic book?...Sho'-nuff !

Is this post lasting longer than all of you expected?...Sho'-nuff !

I was doing a little light reading this morning ("Narrative Illustration" by MC Gaines) and I noticed that he calls the books published before comic books as "picture books" which include the works of Topffer, Daumier, Dore, and Busch.

I also found an interesting quote on page 8 by James Swinnerton (creator of "Little Bears" and "Mr. Jack"):

"In those days, we swore by Zimmerman and Opper and others of the grotesque school who illustrated printed jokes. It was not the fashion to have balloons showing what the characters were saying, as that was supposed to have been buried with the English Cruikshank, but along came the comic supplements, and with Outcault's 'Yellow Kid,' the balloons came back and literally filled the comic sky."

So an artist of the day who was familiar with the history of cartooning mentions that word balloons were a huge deal.... yet no mention of a picture book by Topffer... but he knew about Cruikshank so he knew his cartoon history of the period and how word balloons changed the newspaper strip medium.

On page 10 Gaines refers to Milt Gross' book "He Done Her Wrong" as: "a wordless novel in cartoons". Again, stressing that such an item is not a comic book.

BTW, for those with their heads stuck in their nether regions, Gaines is considered the father of the comic magazine (aka "the comic book in its present form").

What do a couple of hacks like MC Gaines and Swinnerton know?! Beerbohm needs to sell picture books to suckers and he can only do that by co-opting the term "comic book"!!

The moral to the story is: you shouldn't blindly believe everything you read on the Boards to be true makepoint.gif

So I checked all the comic price guides and comic book histories in my local big chain bookstore (Wizard, Krause, Comic Buyer's Guide, Standard Catalog, etc.). Only one had any mention of some picture book mistakenly listed as a comic book... the OPG. None of the other publications have fallen victim to the charade that Overstreet has been victimized by... seems very strange that Oldbuck isn't listed as a comic book if it is obviously a comic book.... what are these other publications thinking? Don't they know that Beerbohm needs to sell picture books to suckers?!

So I checked all the comic price guides and comic book histories in my local big chain bookstore (Wizard, Krause, Comic Buyer's Guide, Standard Catalog, etc.). Only one had any mention of some picture book mistakenly listed as a comic book... the OPG. None of the other publications have fallen victim to the charade that Overstreet has been victimized by... seems very strange that Oldbuck isn't listed as a comic book if it is obviously a comic book.... what are these other publications thinking? Don't they know that Beerbohm needs to sell picture books to suckers?!

Maybe none of the other publications have the insight and research/history advisors that the OPG has....they are the 600 pound gorilla in the zoo. I watch the discovery/science channel alot ( which may suprise you since I'm a sucker--they are usually not too bright ), and often when new discoveries that challenge the status quo are made, there is great resistance from the "establishment". I believe there is a whole new class of "comic books" that are now catalogued, priced, and researched only by the OPG, therefore they are only listed in the OPG, and you are struggling to except it. Change is sometimes painful.

I watch the discovery/science channel alot ( which may suprise you since I'm a sucker--they are usually not too bright )

This clearly makes you a genius 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

In 3 years you'll be reading entire sentences!

...often when new discoveries that challenge the status quo are made

Wow, you truly are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Oldbuck isn't a new discovery. I've pointed this out several times now. The only "new" thing is some dealer-hack is calling it a comic book to sell it to foolish .

...often when new discoveries that challenge the status quo are made

Wow, you truly are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Oldbuck isn't a new discovery. I've pointed this out several times now. The only "new" thing is some dealer-hack is calling it a comic book to sell it to foolish .

That's redundant.

Instead of watching to see who can pizz the furthest, people reading this thread might enjoy the early "comic strip reprint magazines" (I'm scared to call them you-know-whats) currently on the King and Centaur threads. Great stuff.

Showcase-4, do you also collect those?

Jack

[

Once again Gifflefunk you were up against the ropes, and took something out of context. I did not say Obadiah was a new discovery...I said its inclusion in the OPG as a sequential comic book is new. I'll be sure to tell Bob Beerbohm you referred to him as a "dealer-hack".

..King and Centaur . Great stuff.

Showcase-4, do you also collect those?

Jack

No, but not because they are not great early modern comics....I am focusing exclusively on historically important books from 1842-1934 at this time.

(Oabdiah Oldbuck - Famous Funnies #1)

Once again Gifflefunk you were up against the ropes, and took something out of context. I did not say Obadiah was a new discovery...I said its inclusion in the OPG as a sequential comic book is new. I'll be sure to tell Bob Beerbohm you referred to him as a "dealer-hack".

Please explain to me how I took something out of context when you went with "new discoveries" not being accepted by the "establishment" as a preface to " I believe there is a whole new class of 'comic books' that are now catalogued, priced, and researched only by the OPG"?

The context presented here by you is clearly that Obadiah is part of this "new class" and that we, the "establishment", have a hard time with "new discoveries".

Perhaps a refresher course in English at your local community college is in order... but I digress, picture stories are not a new class of comic book... they are picture stories. These types of books were known by scholars of comic/cartoon history before Beerbohm and the only "new" thing he has done is create a market for them. By attempting to convince the collecting community that stripping away some of the defining characterists of comic books is a trivial matter and then by co-opting the term and calling these old picture story books "comic books" he has discovered a class of sucker that would make PT Barnum proud.

I'm still amazed that you haven't freaked out about blowing $50k on three copies of the same picture story book. You probably could have gotten that GD+ 2.5 Action Comics #1 for that price and had a comic book that means something to the history of the medium.

Up against the ropes? Are you seriously that punch drunk?? Perhaps it is time to turn to the score cards... screwy.gif

Did gifflefunk body slam Showcase-4 with his response? ....Sho'Nuff!

Is Obadiah Oldbuck being pawned off to suckers as the first comic book only by the one person trying to sell them?...Sho'Nuff!

Is this the funniest thing I've heard about in quite some time?...Sho'Nuff!

27_laughing.gif

Okay, am I the only person that thinks showcase is KK or a KK want to be? Look at the way he post and how he attacks people? Also look at his most recent shill on the other showcase thread.

yes, you are the only person who still thinks I am KK...we are way past that now....and none of my responses to other posts are "shills"...sounds you like are suffering from a mild case of paranoia ( I don't know why...I am not using the Boards to sell anything ).

if you spend 2 minutes doing the following "Google" searches on me, perhaps you too will be convinced:

steve meyer obadiah oldbuck

showacse-4 obadiah oldbuck

scoop collector steve meyer

$20,000 obadiah oldbuck

Okay, am I the only person that thinks showcase is KK or a KK want to be? Look at the way he post and how he attacks people? Also look at his most recent shill on the other showcase thread.

yes, you are the only person who still thinks I am KK...we are way past that now....and none of my responses to other posts are "shills"...sounds you like are suffering from a mild case of paranoia ( I don't know why...I am not using the Boards to sell anything ).

if you spend 2 minutes doing the following "Google" searches on me, perhaps you too will be convinced:

$20,000 obadiah oldbuck

steve meyer sycophant

obadiah oldbuck not a comic

steve meyer does google searches on himself

sucker pays $20 large for non-comic book

I don't think you're KK. I know of you, and I know you're legit. KK was not.

$20,000 obadiah oldbuck

steve meyer sycophant

obadiah oldbuck not a comic

steve meyer does google searches on himself

sucker pays $20 large for non-comic book

Yes, indeed.

BTW, there was a copy of OO that sold on ebay tonight for $1,000. Was restored and I believe the British version. I had planned to bid to $1,750 but forgot the deadline and missed it while giving the little ones a bath. frown.gif

Yes, indeed.

BTW, there was a copy of OO that sold on ebay tonight for $1,000. Was restored and I believe the British version. I had planned to bid to $1,750 but forgot the deadline and missed it while giving the little ones a bath. frown.gif

These Obadiah's...both British and American reprints, pop up from time to time on Ebay, so I'm confident you'll get another shot at buying a copy thumbsup2.gif

I think this auction helps point out the kind of money this book can command, even though many readers of this post think it's absurd . If a British restored copy sold for $1,000 ( I was not the buyer), and you were willing to go up to $1,750, then the extremely rare American unrestored 1st printing is justifably priced at $20,000. I understand that a CGC graded 9.4 TOS #1 ( if there was such a gem on the market ) is a safe, "no brainer". The collectors of Victorian and Platinum Age books have a differrent mindset, and it's a different market. We focus on rarity and historical importance, even if there are not 45 previous sales of a given book in Heritage Auction's archives that can be analyzed for rate of appreciation.

I bought a Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats earlier this year, and I don't care what the last guy paid who bought a copy..I LOVE the book, and am thrilled to own it. This is also the case with Obadiah Oldbuck, and I am not alone...I'm just alone on this post.