• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

'Da-nile is not just a river in Egypt ladies and gentlemen......

you can pick apart every word I say and magnify every comment by others to difuse my claims of Obadiah's greatness, but this is a Meg-key Victorian/Platinum Age book, with many more collectors than you think who would love the opportunity to own a copy, much less 3. ( and for the price I paid, too )

It may take a deacde to see who is right and who is not on this post, but I stand by purchases as a wise and exciting investment, and declaration of Obadiah Oldbuck being America's 1st "comic book"

I can honestly say that I would have no interest in owning a copy of that book in any grade at prices over the cost of the reprint.

I'd even bet there are many more here and in the collecting community that feel the same way.

Good luck with your investment.

It make a deacde to see who is right and who is not on this post, but I stand by purchases as a wise and exciting investment, and declaration of Obadiah Oldbuck being America's 1st "comic book"

That is only true if you accept the premise that picture-tales are comic books. I don't buy into the revisionist history being put forth by a select few and I suspect more comic book collectors accept the "classical" view over the revisionist version. I've done my own research and a clear and distinct trail leads back to the Yellow Kid.

I can honestly say that I would have no interest in owning a copy of that book in any grade at prices over the cost of the reprint.

I'd even bet there are many more here and in the collecting community that feel the same way.

Good luck with your investment.

I'm sure that's true...this is a Golden Age forum...I knew what I was getting in to. To be honest with you, I am grateful to have this large an audience for my little "niche" within the marketplace. Many have provided very insightful input, including yourself. The sign of a strong market is growth and increasing prices and many different segments, and my Obadiah Oldbuck purchases help us all....our hobby is strong, and full of passion !

You should request a victorian age board be created here for you and others with similar interests.
Or Arch could put it in the card forum. wink.gif
How about just in the water cooler 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You can pick apart every word I say and magnify every comment by others to difuse my claims of Obadiah's greatness, but this is a Meg-key Victorian/Platinum Age book, with many more collectors than you think who would love the opportunity to own a copy, much less 3.

27_laughing.gif

( and for the price I paid, too )

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I kind of understand where you are coming from.

Actually you stimulate some interesting thoughts for me that I have considered before. The comic history books I grew up on (Clark, Gifford, Horn – who was American BTW) site ‘Ally Sloper: A Moral Lesson’ as the first British Comic Book (dated 1873). As the US Obadiah was a reprint of the bootleg British Edition, I suppose that might make Obadiah the first UK comic as well?

I am not a Topffer expert, but I think he made a total of 8 comic books, and I think Obadiah ( which originally had another name ) was his 3rd work. So, Topffers 1st work would be your UK version of what the Brother Jonathan / Obadiah Oldbuck is to the US. Additionally, there is a movement to recognize Topffer as the 1st comic book creator, which would in theory make his 1st work the 1st comic book in the entire world 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

http://www.fanofunny.com/topffer_e.html

You are not much of an expert on "comics" either.

The comic strip, as we have come to know it, had antecedents in European humor magazines, such as Punch; or in the Swiss (Rodolphe Töpffer), German (Wilhelm Busch), or French (Georges Colomb) picture stories that combined text and image to tell extended narratives - or even in cave paintings. But the American artist Richard Felton Outcault is recognized as the true inventor of "the comics."

R. F. Outcault took the idea of a sequential series of drawings designed to convey information found in ancient comics and combined it with a central character. This central character, called the Yellow Kid or Mickey Dugan, along with dialogue found in word balloons and/or signs that must be read to understand the meaning of the cartoon created America’s first modern comic strip

With Hearst's encouragement, Outcault developed The Yellow Kid from its beginnings as a simple gag panel into the first true example of the comic strip.

While working at the Journal, Outcault also introduced text balloons and serial panels in his comic, now called "McFadden's Row," and by October of 1896, all the ingredients for the modern newspaper comic strip were in place.

The Yellow Kid created by Richard Felton Outcault in 1895 is recognized as the first "comic strip" or "comic book". Outcault was the first person to use the balloon, a space where what the characters said was written.

The Yellow Kid was the first true modern comic strip. Created by Richard Felton Outcault in 1895, the comic chronicled the adventures of a short, bald Irish immigrant child, and his friends. The Yellow Kid himself, dressed in a very long night dress of the period, which was supposed to be yellow in color. This night dress afforded an unusual way to represent speech and thought bubbles in that the words of the Kid were printed upon his nightshirt.

The Yellow Kid Award is the highest award possible for a cartoonist, the equivalent of an Oscar, or an Emmy...or a Hugo. It is given at the International Comics Congress in Lucca, Italy.

The 1895 "Yellow Kid" created by Richard Outcault has often been cited as being the first comic strip. The reason being is that Richard Outcault was the first artist to use the balloon, an outlined space on the page where what the characters spoke was written.

I'm working on an article to refute the revisionist history being slopped out to the masses by those wishing to alter history for their own personal ends.

I'm working on an article to refute the revisionist history being slopped out to the masses by those wishing to alter history for their own personal ends.

Wow...an entire article. I'm sure that will be sufficient to persuade an entire nation that your beliefs and thoughts are the final say that ends this long debate ---after years and years of historians expressing differing views, it's all over....Gifflefunk wrote an article!

You should request a victorian age board be created here for you and others with similar interests.
Or Arch could put it in the card forum. wink.gif
How about just in the water cooler 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
How about the PGX forum?

Wow...an entire article. I'm sure that will be sufficient to persuade an entire nation that your beliefs and thoughts are the final say that ends this long debate ---after years and years of historians expressing differing views, it's all over....Gifflefunk wrote an article!

The years and years part would be the nearly 80+ years of accurately identifying the origin of the comic book back to the Yellow Kid, and not the handful of years that the revisionists have tried to hijack the history of the medium attempting to lure people into thinking that picture-tales are the same thing as comic books. All I plan to do is put forth the origin as previously determined by scholars, historians, collectors, dealers, and artists.

I've done my homework and I understand why the Yellow Kid is considered the starting point of the American comic book; you however, just keep repeating what you've been told by the same guy that took you for $50k. So feel free to try and knock me around, but the truth shall set you free.

The years and years part would be the nearly 80+ years of accurately identifying the origin of the comic book back to the Yellow Kid, and not the handful of years that the revisionists have tried to hijack the history of the medium attempting to lure people into thinking that picture-tales are the same thing as comic books. All I plan to do is put forth the origin as previously determined by scholars, historians, collectors, dealers, and artists.

I've done my homework and I understand why the Yellow Kid is considered the starting point of the American comic book; you however, just keep repeating what you've been told by the same guy that took you for $50k. So feel free to try and knock me around, but the truth shall set you free.

if you read my previous comments Gifflefunk, I'm not trying to knock you around. But I will say this....ultimately, the "market" shall set me free. Regardless of certain scholars and historians, if the marketplace recognizes Victorian Age comic books as comic books, that will overpower the naysayers. It will all boil down to 2 factors: supply and demand, and perception is reality 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The years and years part would be the nearly 80+ years of accurately identifying the origin of the comic book back to the Yellow Kid, and not the handful of years that the revisionists have tried to hijack the history of the medium attempting to lure people into thinking that picture-tales are the same thing as comic books.

893applaud-thumb.gif

...you however, just keep repeating what you've been told by the same guy that took you for $50k.

893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

I've done my homework and I understand why the Yellow Kid is considered the starting point of the American comic book; you however, just keep repeating what you've been told by the same guy that took you for $50k. .

I've got news for you Gifflefunk, no one "takes" my money. The 3 Obadiah's that I bought last year were the result of my pursuing the owners...not the sellers chasing me down because they heard I had $$ to burn on Victorian Age "cartoon books". I have been buying / selling / trading since 1992, and am no ones fool.

Let me quess, I'm a sucker for spending $20k on Obadiah, but a savvy investor on this purchase:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=11225&si=121