• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cautionary Tale

45 posts in this topic

These are the facts:

CAPandFALCON hits the takeit.gif for a comic in a thread I started in the Marketplace forum.

At 11:03 AM on 6/22/06 I send the following PM:

"Thanks! You can send payment via Paypal to brrempel@gmail.com or a money order to:

Brian Rempel

2442 Cerrillos Road #208

Santa Fe, NM 87505

I can ship via Priority Envelope for $4.55 (well packaged, but not as good as a box), Boxed Priority for $6.00 (better protection) or Media Mail for $2.50 (well packaged, but not as good as a box, and slow). Just indicate your preference when you make payment.

Regards,

Brian "

On the same day at 11:11 AM I get a read receipt confirming that CAPandFALCON and received and read my PM.

Now I read a thread that CAPandFALCON started where he stated he was 12 years old. doh! This could be a problem.

A day and a half goes by with no communication from CAPandFALCON, but he is constantly on the forum. At 4:28 PM on 6/23/06 I send the following PM:

"Hi,

I hadn't heard back from you and was wondering what the status of our transaction is. Will you be paying via Paypal or sending a money order?

Regards,

Brian "

CAPandFALCON reads my PM at 4:51 PM the same day, as evidenced by a read receipt, and responds with:

"paypal"

Three more days go by and I hear nothing from CAPandFALCON. at 1:17 PM on 6/26/06 I send the following PM:

"Ok, so what's your ETA on this payment? It's common courtesy to inform a seller when you will be making payment when it is going to be any longer then 48 hours."

CAPandFALCON reads my PM on the same day at 2:58 PM as evidenced by a read receipt.

It's now 6/27/06 and I have not heard back from CAPandFALCON.

Those are the facts.

Here is my opinion:

CAPandFALCON is a 12 year old kid that's in way over his head and has no business even reading Marketplace threads, much less buying in them. If I do ever get a payment from him I will be refunding it immediately in order to avoid any more pitfalls inherent in dealing with a minor. I suggest you all do the same.

wow, finally a "real" 12-year old on the boards after all those with a mental age of 12....

Sucks Brian,before you know it everyone will be forced to use disclaimers like this :

ADULTS, GUARDIANS, CARE PROVIDERS, SUPERVISORS AND THE LIKE AUTOMATICALLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY BIND THEIR CHILDREN, MINORS, NONADULTS AND THE LIKE TO ALL CONDITIONS AND TERMS OF SERVICE/USE WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR ACCESS TO THIS SITE. IF YOU ARE UNDERAGE AS DETERMINED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE YOU LIVE IN YOU MUST HAVE YOUR GUARDIAN'S SUPERVISION AT ALL TIMES WHILE YOU ARE USING THIS SITE. GUARDIANS, ADULTS AND THE LIKE COVENANT AND AGREE TO USE PARENTAL CONTROLS AS PROVIDED BY THEIR ISP SO AS NOT TO ALLOW MINORS, NONADULTS AND THE LIKE ACCESS WITHOUT THEIR SUPERVISION. YOU AGREE TO DEFEND, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD THIS SITE ITS OWNERS, EMPLOYEES AND THE LIKE HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL LOSSES, COSTS AND EXPENSES INCLUDING ATTORNEYS FEES AND COURT COSTS FOR DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FAILING TO MONITOR MINORS, NONADULTS AND THE LIKE FROM ENTERING THIS SITE. YOU FURTHER AGREE THIS SITES OWNERS, SHAREHOLDERS AND THE LIKE ARE IN NO WAY LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR UNDERAGE NONADULTS ACCESSING THIS SITE OR ANY AND ALL SITES LINKED FROM HERE. YOU WILL NEVER LOOK TO THIS SITES OWNERS, SHAREHOLDERS AND THE LIKE FOR RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY AND ALL THINGS AND ANY AND ALL SERVICES AND ANY AND ALL CONTENT PROVIDED BY THRU OR IN CONNECTION OF THIS SITE OR ANY AND ALL SITES LINKED FROM HERE. BY MERE ENTRANCE TO THIS SITE, MINORS, NONADULTS AND THE LIKE UNCONDITIONALLY AND AUTOMATICALLY BIND THEIR GUARDIANS, PROVIDERS, PARENTS, SUPERVISORS, CARE PROVIDERS AND THE LIKE TO ALL OF THESE CONDITIONS AND TERMS OF SERVICE/USE WHETHER OR NOT ACCESS TO THIS SITE IS UNDER THE GUARDIANS, PARENTS, SUPERVISORS, PROVIDERS, AND THE LIKE CONTROL. THESE INDEMNITIES SHALL SURVIVE TILL THE END OF TIME.

tonofbricks.gif

Just like in the Golden Age,

Maybe we need a "junior membership level " wherebye they are only allowed to post in the main forum threads, and they are banned from the marketplace threads and the PM feature.

What are the odds of that passing constitutional muster.

Just like in the Golden Age,

Maybe we need a "junior membership level " wherebye they are only allowed to post in the main forum threads, and they are banned from the marketplace threads and the PM feature.

What are the odds of that passing constitutional muster.

Constitutionally, we can do it. This is a private board.

Practically, it's a bigger problem. But that's up to CGC and how they want to run this message board.

Board already has an age requirement. Think its 14.

You must have slipped through the net! tongue.gif

Seriously though, too many transactions are not being paid for and it's not fair on sellers wasting their time chasing up transactions with kids who never had any intention of paying in the first place. The number of PM's i recieve about unpaid books makes me want to lock myself in a padded room and get high on aspirin. Something needs to be done.

Seriously though, too many transactions are not being paid for and it's not fair on sellers wasting their time chasing up transactions with kids who never had any intention of paying in the first place. The number of PM's i recieve about unpaid books makes me want to lock myself in a padded room and get high on aspirin. Something needs to be done.

You can get high on aspirin? Don't let the FDA find out on our side of the pond. Soon it will become a controlled substance grin.gif

It is not fair for us potential buyers who might post the takeit.gif for a book they need. sumo.gif

Perhaps a certain number of failed deals by a member could or should warrent strikes or bannings or exclusion from the marketplace.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kudos to Oldguy for informing us all of this!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. But, it is nice to know that you are willing to share those problems. If only countless others would do the same when they arise, this would truly be a great place to buy and sell! Even with all the lowball offers makepoint.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

Seriously though, too many transactions are not being paid for.

I'll have to disagree, but only from personal experience. In over 2 years of selling on the boards here, I have not had a single commitment broken sumo.gif

I've had some wishy-washy, lame-azz, waste my freakin' time requests 27_laughing.gif, but not a single non-payment. 893applaud-thumb.gif

OK, this sounds like a bummer pouring cold water on my positive feelings today when I sold my largest sale this year so far here (or anywhere).

I wouldn't rule out a $10 order from a 12 year old in gerenal.

When I was 12 back in '77 I was doing mail order stuff for around $10 - $15 a pop.

Back then comics were 25cents so $10 could get you a lot of back issues.

cloud9.gif

Of coarse I was a serious collector at 12 and had the money in hand before buying, which you had to do back then when a money order was the only option since 12 year olds didn't having checking accounts or credit cards or Paypal back then. poke2.gif

Is there a ceiling too? insane.gif

Eh sonny?

Speak up I can't hear you! poke2.gif

If POV can post here every other soul is safe.