• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFI Heroes and Villains list

40 posts in this topic

Did anybody catch the American Film Institute's TV show last night where they picked the top 50 film heroes and top 50 film villains of all time? The only comics figures that made it were Superman (Christopher Reeve) and Joker (Jack Nicholson). I would've put Spider-Man somewhere on there, probably towards the bottom, but then again I'm biased since I'm a fan.

They got the top villain just right--Hannibal Lecter! I thought Indiana Jones would be the top hero, but he went to #2 behind Atticus Finch from "To Kill a Mockingbird," which I haven't seen.

freakin citizen kane beat out the godfather. AFI blows chunks. the godfather IS the greatest hero/villan.

I love the Godfather (read my pseudo-review linked below) but Citizen Kane is easily the most important American Film ever made. Welles CREATED much of the common language of cinema in that movie. Many folks, upon seeing it for the first time will think that it's "dated" or "clichéd" and in a lot of ways it is. The thing that most people fail to realize is that it only looks that way because people have been ripping off Welles so much for the past 60+ years. Much of what he did in that movie is now so commonplace and pedestrian it's basically become part of our cultural subconscious. It's like watching the films of Sergei Eisenstein. They look almost ridiculous to our modern eye, but in context they are absolutely stunning.

http://www.drunkenfist.com/movies/Hollywood/godfather.shtm

I saw the list in the paper this morning and found it to be a complete waste of time and energy, absolutely lame. I'll even take issue with some of the people qualified as heros and villains. Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" is a villain? I don't think so.

I think this is just P.R. for you to buy "their" movie on dvd and nothing more.Everyone here will have their own top 100 of this and that.

By the way #1 hero = Luke Skywalker

#1 villian = Dark Vader gossip.gifrantpost.gif

Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" is a villain? I don't think so.

Rape, murder, and pillaging don't count in determining who's a villain and who's not?!?!? Or did his mistreatment by the state nullify his culpability for past actions?

Hans Gruber from Die hard! That should have been listed as a guilty pleasure - a great action flick but some of the villians and movies they list? Yippie - kuyea - mf! On the other hand Mitchum in Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter should have ranked higher - great movies and truly frightening. And saw the femme fatale from Double Indemnity listed - awesome movie and very wicked woman. Love those wicked women in those 40s film noire. Would like to meet up with a woman like that just once to make sure they really exist! Maybe Gilda!

Anyone else find it bizarre that both Han Solo and Obi-Wan made it, but not Luke?

You can blame Mark Hamill for that... blush.gif

Come on, the guy blew up the Death Star in one of the best ending sequences ever. Hammill must have ticked off somebody, or else they only take big stars...

Definitely agree with you there. Obi Wan, Han Solo, but no Luke? That ain't right. Otherwise enjoyed the program. I was kind of surprised Mel Gibson as William Wallace aka Braveheart didn't make it. He seems to fit hero to a T to me. Any reason he got snubbed? confused.gif

Definitely agree with you there. Obi Wan, Han Solo, but no Luke? That ain't right. Otherwise enjoyed the program. I was kind of surprised Mel Gibson as William Wallace aka Braveheart didn't make it. He seems to fit hero to a T to me. Any reason he got snubbed? confused.gif

Maybe because Braveheart is about as close to the truth as Disney's version of Robin Hood.

Come on, the guy blew up the Death Star in one of the best ending sequences ever. Hammill must have ticked off somebody, or else they only take big stars...

Luke Skywalker should definately have been on the list. All I am saying is that the character could have been so much greater if not played by a cardboard cut-out like Hamill. Just about all the other actor in Star Wars stole scenes from him.

Luke Skywalker should definately have been on the list. All I am saying is that the character could have been so much greater if not played by a cardboard cut-out like Hammill. Just about all the other actor in Star Wars stole scenes from him

I think he did a good job,but who would you liked to see play Luke...... makepoint.gif

You don't have to see "To Kill A Mockingbird." Do yourself a favor and read the original novel. Of course, if you love Gregory Peck movies, you'll be happy with the film adaptation too.

The book is WAY better than the movie. But... idea.. Vertigo to do the comic book adaptation !! Now , that would be nice.