• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"I am not a comic book collector so I don't know how to grade this comic."

17 posts in this topic

He owns the OS price guide, but doesnt own the grading guide confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd rather people did auctions like this than claimed ludicrous conditions or stupid starting bid amounts.

$10 start with decent quality uncropped pictures for this auction is good, buyers can pretty much decide for themselves what the item is worth (shills permitting)

I don't think it's a scam. Many people who sell on ebay will get their stuff through estate auctions or inheritance. They will sometimes run across comic book collections. They know it's old and might be worth something. They are smart enough to get a guide to know what they have, but are no sure how to sell it or grade because they deal in other things. It would be the same as a comic book dealer getting their hands on antique.

I am not saying this is the case here, but that has been my experience. As said ealier, I would rather the seller be straight up and not promote like it's a NM, just say it looks pretty good and here's a scan.

But the sellers who know nothing about comics certainly can describe any rips, missing pages/chunks, stains etc...

I had one of these sellers who knew nothing about comics but conveniently had the water mark on the LRFC right where a chunk was missing 893naughty-thumb.gif

Interestingly, I LIKE when I read this on ebay auctions.

Some of the best auctions I've ever bought from had a crappy digital photo of the book, and a description like 'Comic is in GOOD condition. No rips, tears, or bends.'

I have scored some beautiful raw early silver DC books in the 6.0-8.0 range on these kinds of auctions.

Sometimes, the books come back [embarrassing lack of self control], but I always lowball on them. More ofteb than not, they are waaaaaay better than 'Good'.

Shep

I don't think it's a scam. Many people who sell on ebay will get their stuff through estate auctions or inheritance. They will sometimes run across comic book collections. They know it's old and might be worth something. They are smart enough to get a guide to know what they have, but are no sure how to sell it or grade because they deal in other things. It would be the same as a comic book dealer getting their hands on antique.

I am not saying this is the case here, but that has been my experience. As said ealier, I would rather the seller be straight up and not promote like it's a NM, just say it looks pretty good and here's a scan.

Possibly the best deals come from book or antique dealers.I got a Bat 73 in fine minus for $ 78 after receiving her email with a page count(Bat 73 is a 44 pager).Alot of bidders avoid these kind of auctions.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

But the sellers who know nothing about comics certainly can describe any rips, missing pages/chunks, stains etc...

I had one of these sellers who knew nothing about comics but conveniently had the water mark on the LRFC right where a chunk was missing 893naughty-thumb.gif

That goes to being a shaddy dealer which is common regardless.

I have scored very well with this kind of auction because they usually don't have a reason to scam. They make very well with their antique auctions, but they get the comic books as part of the deal. They just want to get rid of them. I look at their feedback on the stuff they are experts on. If they get good marks and provide a good scan with descriptions, I take a chance as long as it doesn't become a bidding war.

I have worse deals with dealers who knew what they are doing than from those like this auction.

I am not a comic book dealer, but I have over 30,000 nm comics that I need to more to clear out space. All in "good" condition.

I like the seller with "good" condition books. That drops the Overstreet value down far enough to dissuade most people from bidding too high.

I don't think it's a scam.

It's not a scam. Never said that. foreheadslap.gif

I'm just Christo_pull_hair.gif with these non-comic guys finding these major keys just lying around somewhere.

Many who use this now-over-used phrase are hiding behind their lack of "grading experience" to justify improper grading of comics. I run across that a lot. Yet, like many of the other participants of this Thread, sometimes I win out, sometimes I lose out.

CAL :news: