• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Scam artist at work

7 posts in this topic

hello all...

I had bid on some of ronm3's high grade GA bats he had on ebay last week, and was unfortunately outbid on them...well, today, I got what appears to be a legit "second chance offer" from the "seller" (which of course, was not ron)....I emailed ron to confirm, and he let me know it was a scam...if any of you all get an email from a "John" at email gregallen12@gmail.com, offering books, be warned now...the email does appear to come over ebay servers, which was puzzling (but I am not that technically savy, so maybe it just "looked" legit to me)...

thanks

rick

Thanks for the info. I get a lot of those. You should forward it to spoof@ebay.com so they can take action.

I just got offered a second chance x-men #9 9.6! at my tracker bid of $312.00!!!

How lame do these guys get. But admittedly all the same MO, all through what appears to be an ebay email address.

I suspect they know something about computer's we don't, as the reply addresses are always invariably private ones.

I just ask for fresh scan's front and back, and generally let them think they've got one on the hook. Then as the emails come, the english generally deteriates as a rule. It's always nice to wind them up a little... I think it's a small measure of retribution.

I just ask for fresh scan's front and back, and generally let them think they've got one on the hook. Then as the emails come, the english generally deteriates as a rule. It's always nice to wind them up a little... I think it's a small measure of retribution.

Here's a funny tale of scamming the scammer:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/security/scamming-the-nigerian-scammer/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html

It is worth going to the longer story (which is REALLY a longer story) but highly entertaining!

http://forum.419eater.com/john_boko.htm

Jack

Here's a scammer that I dragged along for 3 months, he emailed me from a temporary ebay ID and asked if he could buy one of my auctions for $3,000.....my auction was for $250. His scam was to send me a bad check, have me cash it and then send him the "extra". Of course I knew he was scamming me, I'll post some of his emails.

Ok thank you for getting back,this is the information that you will use for the western union money transfer,make sure you have the money sent today as the money is urgently needed,and also you should have the cards sent first thing tommorrow morning

Jaime Jayme

24 E park str

Newark,

NJ 07102

USA

You will have to get back to me as soon as you get the fund sent with the western union wiring information like

1.The MTCN#,

2.The senders full name and address

3.The actual amount sent after western union charges.

Best regards.

I'll post more for he is very funny

(email #5)

This is getting too long for you to complete this transaction.

Anyway if you want to email jayme here is his email address Jaime1985@keromail.com i need you to have the money sent today.

(email #6 under a different name and email all caps)

HELLO MR VAUGHN,FRANK HAPPENS TO BE MY MANAGER/AGENT WHO HELP ME TO LOCATE ANYTHING I WANT AND AND HAS ALSO TOLD ME THAT YOU ARE THE ONE HE IS BUYING THE CARD FROM.ALL I AM EXPECTING FROM YOU IS THE EXCESS AMOUNT AFTER YOU MIGHT HAVE DEDUCTED YOUR CARD MONEY FROM THE MONEY WITH YOU.AND FRANK TOLD ME THAT HE HAS ALREADY GAVE YOU MY INFORMATION ON WHICH YOU WILL SEND THE MONEY TO VIA WESTERN UNION.I EVEN COLLECTED YOUR EMAIL FROM FRANK AND I HAVE TRIED EMAILING BUT THE EMAILS CAME BACK,ALL I WANT YOU TO DO IS PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU I REALLY NEED THE MONEY TODAY BECAUSE I WANT TO USE IT TO PAY FOR MY DAUGHTER BILL IN THE HOSPITAL.SHE IS SERIOUSLY SICK.PLS MAKE SURE YOU SEND THE MONEY TO ME TODAY AND GET BACK TO ME WITH THE INFORMATION FROM WESTERN UNION SO ALSO YOU CAN EMAIL FRANK SO THAT HE CAN CONFIRM YOU HAVE GOT THE MONEY SENT.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

this goes on for about 2 more months, I was laughing the whole time too. I can't post the other emails, a lot of it has a bunch of cursing in it. But watch out for this guy.

Here's a funny tale of scamming the scammer:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/security/scamming-the-nigerian-scammer/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html

It is worth going to the longer story (which is REALLY a longer story) but highly entertaining!

http://forum.419eater.com/john_boko.htm

Jack

I do some 419 scammer baiting in my spare time. It is very relaxing. I just returned from a one year hiatus and picked up one of my old pets immediately. smirk.gif

I traded probably 500 or so with this person and had them generate reams of useless documentation for me.