• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed? you decide...

47 posts in this topic

here are scans of 2 current auctions of the same book. top to bottom they were printed at different points so they probably are the same height (hard to tell with the eye)

BUT--left to right is a different story. Both spines are folded at the same point of the cover art and graphics. Now look on the right side. One of them is missing at least a sixteenth of art! This is an especially easy cover to compare because you can literally count words and letters to see what's missing with little guesswork. Notice where Ocks arm ends on both and the few letters beneath it.

Whats the verdict???

Note: one scan in this post. Other scan in the followup post

(I dont know any other way, sorry!)

185254-spidey56.jpg.99a6aad82d580282bc478c6b4f915f50.jpg

Actually, spidey's hand looks a wee bit closer to the edge in the 2nd book, meaning there should be even more octo-arm showing than the 1st book, yet there's significantly less. There's something wrong with that 2nd book.

The first scan is literally trimmed in that the comic goes to the edge of the scan. That's a bad scan to begin with as you really can't see the edge of the real comic.

Actually, I just looked at a bunch of this issue on ebay, current and completed, and they're all over the place with that ock arm to spidey hand ratio. Some are like book 1, some like book 2, there doesn't seem to be any way to draw a conclusion from the scans.

What an original and exacting way to tell if a comic is trimmed!! Wait. Let me go and get all my CGC Universal graded comics and measure them left to right! What's that. None of them are exactly the same size left to right!

You may want to perform this simple experiment, Aman, before you prove yourself to be even more of a comic neophyte.

Poverty Row, would you care to tell Aman why measuring two comics left to right is not the best way to determine trim?

Aman, why didn't you use these examples? Because they doesn't support your argument as well?

web page

WOW! Look at this one below. Identical centering on the artwork! What do you think, Aman? Are you man enough to admit it?

web page

You want another one? Be my guest. Bon appetite!

web page

Aman, why didn't you use this example? Because it doesn't support your argument as well?

web page

Actually, on that one the spidey hand is over too far to the left. But there are others that are like the second book with the same ratio.

In this case, I don't think you can draw any conclusions about trimming because the books are just too variable.

Doyle, I know that after taking that MS 5 all rolled up and sideways, it must still be difficult to speak. What are trying to say pal, his example doesn't hold water?

Don't strain yourself! It's going to be tough going holding water for you too over the next several days! Move very slow, pace yourself, and the rugs won't get stained!

Doyle, I know that after taking that MS 5 all rolled up and sideways, it must still be difficult to speak. What are trying to say pal, his example doesn't hold water?

Don't strain yourself! It's going to be tough going holding water for you too over the next several days! Move very slow, pace yourself, and the rugs won't get stained!

No no, you have me all wrong trotsky, what i mean to say is that the one Aman is posting cant be trimmed as the example i have shown is not trimmed and it is slightly more askew. I am sure this has not been trimmed as the reputable seller of this book on ebay SAYS it is not trimmed. It must be true. Look at his feedback... oh you cant. well HE SAYS its great!!

Does anyone buy into the idea that SA comics were trimmed AT THE PRINTER at different widths? Up to a 1/16" difference? I dont. Ive seen and bought (never sold) tens of thousands of comics and while sizes and dimensions have changed over the years, every copy of each issue was manufactured to the same specs. We're not talking about miscut books, on an angle or with large areas lopped off.

Therefore when two copies are compared side to side and one is thinner in width, the original Sparta trimming machine has undergone a "second opinion" somewhere after manufacture and distribution.

Yea, the real Hammer is back!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tell this to Poverty Row!! He'll get as big a hoot out of your "theorey" as I did!!

"They're all the same size"... yeah, right!

I posted three examples that were exact doubles, left to right as Comic-Keys scan. Did you see them? Are they all trimmed too? VG books with round corners?

How about when four separate copies of the same issue, from four different sellers (three of these having rounded corners), are all the exact same size left to right?

The same reference point of artwork showing at the left at the spine, and the same cut off point on the right at the reading edge.

You found one issue to image, aside from these four other identical examples that shows a little more tentacle on the right and you honestly think that the other four examples are trimmed? Or just his example, even though all four are identical?

PLEASE! You must have seen these other examples as well that matched the comic you erroneously targeted as trimmed. They're in the Ebay search engine also and you had to have run across them while finding the example you chose to use that would support your argument while ignoring the others. Why did you choose to ignore all the others that were identical to his?

Poverty Row, can you shed some light on this subject and on those scans for this self-professed "expert" and comic-genius.

Believe me. Comic-Keys wares are the most heavily scrutinized images in the industry. Most CGC only sellers would stop at nothing to eliminate him. If there was a problem with that #56, far better and far more comic-savvy individuals than you would have mentioned it looooong before you chose to contrive a selfish argument for it being trimmed.

Poverty Row, can you shed some light on this subject and on those scans for this self-professed "expert" and comic-genius.

Damn hammer. I have tried to stay away from this but trying not to read the threads is like trying not to turn your head when you pass a car accident.

How do you know about POV's printing background if you are not hammer? 893censored-thumb.gif

Damn hammer. I have tried to stay away from this but trying not to read the threads is like trying not to turn your head when you pass a car accident.

How do you know about POV's printing background if you are not hammer? 893censored-thumb.gif

Because he says so, mushroom. No one is allowed to question BlackShotsky's word. If you do, he'll ask you what books you bought from comic-keys. Don't ask me what one has to do with the other, but that's how it's been going in that loooong thread in the SA forum. No matter what you say, ask, or talk about, the response is blackshotzky asking you what books you've bought from Comic-Keys. Interestingly, he won't answer the question himself. Maybe he hasn't bought any comics from that particular seller. But he did bid on a c-k auction. He told us so. And as the rule says, no one is allowed to question his word.

-- Joanna