• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investing in comics.

40 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, although I've been 'lurking' for a couple of weeks now. I just want to touch upon a favorite topic around here – investing in comics and market crashes.

I firmly believe that these next few years will be the peak in terms of prices for probably 99% of the comics out there. Like the stock market in 1998-2000, the advent of CGC and Ebay may bring about the final blow-off for some of the prices we’ve been seeing.

If you take the analogy that comics are like stocks then the best time to invest was at cover price. Comics get ‘day-traded’ around nowadays, with a bit of profit being skimmed off each transaction, but the ‘real money’ has already been made by those buying 20-30 years ago. Sure, prices may go up a little more in the next couple of years, but the downward risk is greater. A sign of a real investor is to be able to make money whether the markets are going up or down. Those are the brokers in the stock markets and CGC/Post office/auction houses in the comics market.

I’ve read through many of the previous posts regarding this subject, and found a lot of insightful, well-thought out arguments. Don’t want to a ‘chicken little’ here, but the downside risk is greater, the higher in prices we go. And we’ve gone pretty high…..

Opinions?

Spideyfan.

I’ve read through many of the previous posts regarding this subject, and found a lot of insightful, well-thought out arguments.

Welcome to the forums and I can already tell your a insufficiently_thoughtful_person,How do you know for sure that comics have peaked? on the modern age and most bronze it has,you going to tell me that Supes 1 and Detective 27 has peaked? if you believe that then,there is no help for you,don't let some of these guys brain wash you,most of the bigger books trade off of ebay at 4-5 times guide and 8-10 times guide for 9.6 post 66 silver.You cannot compare comics to the stock market,comics will always win in the long run. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I’ve read through many of the previous posts regarding this subject, and found a lot of insightful, well-thought out arguments. Don’t want to a ‘chicken little’ here, but the downside risk is greater, the higher in prices we go. And we’ve gone pretty high…..

Opinions?

Spideyfan.

My God..this forum is just going one way. Thirty six incarnations of Hammer. You are probably a JC shill ID. All the threads deteriorate to either the world ending or verbal assaults.

I might take a sabbatical like Andrew.

By the way...why doesn't Rickdogg or Gene post here regularly anymore?

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Whatever happened to "Welcome to the boards? Pull up a chair... Don't be afraid to speak your mind because while we may disagree with what you're saying, we will fight to the death for your right to say it?"

Welcome to the forums, Spideyfan.

Whatever happened to "Welcome to the boards? Pull up a chair... Don't be afraid to speak your mind because while we may disagree with what you're saying, we will fight to the death for your right to say it?"

Welcome to the forums, Spideyfan.

just another negative person on these forums, i can't take much more of this! I'm totally for freedom of speech,I myself excerise that right constantly,but just like there is no spoon,there is no chair either.I'm not going to fight anyone to the death,I'm just saying...I can't believe the way some people think! Try buying a Journey 83 9.0 + or a 9.4 Spidey # 9 for guide price or even twice guide..it's not gonna happen! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Now of course, there are the exceptions like the mega-keys that you’ve mentioned.

However, in general, the prices we’ve been seeing for the last couple of years and the next couple will probably mark the top. When you say comics will always win in the long run, it is kind of like saying in stocks ‘invest for the long term.’ And we know what that can lead to.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but I also believe that the stock markets have seen it’s peak pass by. All the factors supporting the incredible run up to 1998-2000 has been factored in: baby boom/demographics, US economic strength, discount brokerages, etc. We probably won’t see anything like it within our lifetimes.

Just like in comics: average age of collectors will start to become a negative factor now. Rather than moving into their prime earning years, the majority of collectors will be looking at cashing out. Those who have invested with speculation in mind (ie. Multiples of guide on common books) will have a rude awakening when the movie hype dies down. Ebay has become the discount brokerage of comics, letting the average joe trade comics around in a game of ‘musical chairs’.

Prices rise not because of what’s happening currently, but because of what is expected to happen. ASM prices rose with expectations of the first movie, drops after, and is rising again due to expectations of the second one coming up? Stock move in advance of earnings reports all the time. They usually decline, when the numbers (even if good) comics out. With all the ‘factors’ already in play, what is to sustain the growth in prices we have been seeing?

Just an opinion.

Just an opinion.

that's right..Just an opinion,but if your saying,"well the stock market reached it's peak,then comics must have reached thier peak too" you couldn't be more wrong,the stock market rises based on the economy,so do comics.The economy was boomin before 9/11.if anyone should be doing anyhting with comics right now,it's buying.Average age of collectors will be a negative factor now? Buddy,I'm only 26 and spend a few grand when i can on comics,and i know guys younger than I am who spend about the same on comics,I didn't know i had to be in almost retired to buy high priced books.If you think the comic CGC back issue market is crashing down to the ground,then please,do yourself a favor and sell all your comics you have before they become worthless piles of printed paper and get out of comics while you still can. makepoint.gif

You are probably a JC shill ID.

Trust me Mushroom Boy, I'm not the only one smart enough to see the CGC/EBay spike for what it truly is, but I guess anyone who isn't Rah-Rah on the market is a shill?

You guys really need to get out more, and understand that most of the general public insufficiently_thoughtful_person investors have already left, and it's turning into a "Pitch Black-like" cannibal-fest amongst those that remain.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the boards, and don't let the "over-exposed" CGC investors silence you from posting. They're just receiving daily calls from VISA and MC, and are ticked that the speculators are leaving in droves.

that's right..Just an opinion,but if your saying,"well the stock market reached it's peak,then comics must have reached thier peak too" you couldn't be more wrong,the stock market rises based on the economy,so do comics.The economy was boomin before 9/11.if anyone should be doing anyhting with comics right now,it's buying.Average age of collectors will be a negative factor now?

Have to set the record straight for you Shuley76, but the stock market peaked in March of 2000, long before the economy peaked. I know, because I was making around $20,000 A DAY in the stock market in eary March of 2000. I'm not talking about day-trading, I'm talking about watching a portfolioof HYPED UP TECH STOCKS go up 5-10% a Day.

The Comic Market usually does well when the Stock Market is going down. Why, because people don't INVEST in stocks and pick an alternative investment vehicle (comics, coins, art, etc.). The Comic Market for NM books has boom over the last few years, mainly do to the advent of CGC. VF or below books have had very little movement. In any Market, there are ups and downs and this is definitely an UP time.

Don't kid yourself into thinking you can predict the future, I know I can't.

By the way...why doesn't Rickdogg or Gene post here regularly anymore?

Ricky D is speedjunkies, but his decreased activity is due to a new job, with odd hours, involving straddling poles and giving lap dances is the rumor wink.gif

Gene has probably taken his European/Mediterranean vacation as his alter ego is that guy from the infomercials with the yacht, sipping Cristal, and the physically augmented women draped all over him, telling us how "you too can be just like me in 12 easy steps"... grin.gif

miss ya guys...

Being a newbie to the boards here myself, I also have been doing more reading of posts and not a lot of posting.

I have learned a lot. Being a fanboy and not an "investor" of comics has made my buying decsions easy. I don't care if UXM 94 is only worth $X ten years from now. When I was younger is was the white whale because I didn't have the $90 to buy it. I didn't want it because it was "worth" money. I wanted it because it was "worth" something to me.

I am sure that a number of people are into comics for the "investment", but I truely believe the investment part is just so they can keep thier habit going so they can get the books that are really "worth" something too them....

or at least that is how I see things through my rose colored glasses right now...

I have learned a lot. Being a fanboy and not an "investor" of comics has made my buying decsions easy. I don't care if UXM 94 is only worth $X ten years from now. When I was younger is was the white whale because I didn't have the $90 to buy it. I didn't want it because it was "worth" money. I wanted it because it was "worth" something to me.

Being 24, that's exactly why I have the entire Punisher limited series (with over 5 copies of each issue at one point), Ghost Rider 1, 6, 7, 15 in stacks (most are gone as I came to my senses but at one time I had over 5 of each at one point too) and to this day over 10 copies of Batman 428. When I was 10-14 and didn't want to pay the $20 an issue that each of them were listed for at the local store. Who would have thunk that I would have bought a Ghost Rider 1 for 50 cents at the last NYC con?

DAM

Trust me Mushroom Boy,

this thread is getting better... shocked.gif

Between that and Mr Goodwill Ambassador Shuley, it's a wonder we get any new blood in here...

First response to a guy's first post: "I can already tell you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person..."

Wonderful... mad.gif

I'm a virgin poster, who has also been lurking. I'm 38, got back into collecting the first of the year when I quit smoking and used that money -- as well as comic cash from selling my sports cards -- to begin buying books on eBay and my local comic shop.

Had been out of collecting for 20+ years so I've been doing my research, found a new writer I buy off the newsstand and get his pat stuff at my local half-price books. I've bought varying grades to see how they "feel" to me once I get them home.

I'm still sorting out my desires in terms of investing verus reading and have yet found a middle ground. By no means am I a NM collector -- or speculator -- and I view this as a hobby, a pastime, and something I share with my kids.

What I've gathered by lurking is that there have been at least two crash-and-burns and revivals in the silver- and bronze-age comic world since I left it in the mid 1970s, which shows to me that comics are a stable industry that will never "go away."

Just my two cents offered out of guilt of reading only for a couple months.

What happened to reading a comic book, and enjoying the story or art??? confused.gif

Isn't that what a comic book is supposed to provide? Reading enjoyment?

Say what you will about investing, or the supposed market collapse, but if you buy your books to read, who cares??? rantpost.gif

There will always be comic books, whether the CGC market crumbles or not. makepoint.gif