• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips for San Diego - Survival Guide?

30 posts in this topic

This is my first year going to the SDCC and I vaguely remember people giving their reports from last year and providing insightful words of wisdom. Can anyone please provide us first timers with some tricks of the trade/lessons learned? I understand that traffic/parking is a problem as can be getting around outside of the show. Also, any tips while you're in the show? I understand that is it massive...

I like to have a fold up hand cart to take with me it makes it easier to carry stuff around. Also a bottle of water is a good idea. I would also recommend running shoes. Don't wear anything that is binding, t-shirts and jeans or short wuold be good attire. Don't forget to bathe daily and don't wear any type of clothing that makes you look like a nerd. It is OK to be a nerd just don't look like one. Some type of small snack might be a good idea aswell. Always have silver and black sharpie available to get autographs, if that is your thing, because you never know who you might see just walking around. Bring small bills it makes things easier so ones, fives, tens, and twenties. Sleep alot at night. It is hard to do a big con on like 2 hours sleep.

If you have a preview night badge (On Wed Afternoon) : use the bathroom, get water, get in line to pick it up early and after you get it, get into the cattle lines as quickly as possible. This will effect how soon you see the inside of the exhibit hall. I suppose the same can be said about arriving on Thurs or Fri. Get in line early and be prepared to wait. Or find a dealer you know and get a badge.

If you have a preview night badge (On Wed Afternoon) : use the bathroom, get water, get in line to pick it up early and after you get it, get into the cattle lines as quickly as possible. This will effect how soon you see the inside of the exhibit hall. I suppose the same can be said about arriving on Thurs or Fri. Get in line early and be prepared to wait. Or find a dealer you know and get a badge.

Get into the cattle lines as quickly as possible? I am always shocked that so many people do this. They stand in line for hours just to get in a little quicker. I've been to the SD con the last 13 years in a row and outside of the first couple years I have never stood in line to get inside, ever. AVOID the lines. If Preview night starts at 6;00 (or whenever) then go have dinner and relax after picking up your badge, then come back 30 minutes after the official open and walk right in, no line. Sure, the cattle line will get in a little earlier (a few minutes up to a half hour or so) but you will not have wasted up to a couple hours just to get in earlier by just a little bit. Same thing Thurs-Sun. with the 10:00 opening. Don't show up early, Arrive by 10:20 or 10:30 and walk right in. This is how I always do it and I save the pain of having to waste my time in line. The waterfront around the convention center is so beautiful, why would I want to waste precious time waiting in line? I just don't get it, but so many people still do it. Maybe the waiting is part of the fun for some people. confused-smiley-013.gif

Some people try to get in early so that they get first shot at the books. I have had instances of hearing that a book I wanted was sold ten minutes before(while I was enjoying diner) I got there by someone who was early. It doesn't really make any difference to me I go in on Tues with no lines. But if you are looking for a book maybe you should try to get in early. Just my opinion, Bass Man probably knows better than I do.

I hate the lines too! I get a dealer badge. I feel that getting first shot is important. For instance last year the book at the top of my list was present in only 4 copies in the entire show. 3 sold. If I hadn't gotten in early I may have missed it. I agree though the lines are very uncomfortable and annoying.

-CW

Some people try to get in early so that they get first shot at the books. I have had instances of hearing that a book I wanted was sold ten minutes before(while I was enjoying diner) I got there by someone who was early. It doesn't really make any difference to me I go in on Tues with no lines. But if you are looking for a book maybe you should try to get in early. Just my opinion, Bass Man probably knows better than I do.

Doesn't matter.......dealers go around buying from each other before the doors ever open (at all Cons) & only a few actually grade, price & put them up for sale right away. You'll either find what you're looking for, or the search will go on. That's half the fun of collecting. thumbsup2.gif

...stay in your hotel room the whole time and smoke lots and lots of crack,...order room service and watch as many $15.00 pay-per-room movies as possible,...then get in a taxi and go back to the airport,....that always works for me,... tongue.gif

What about parking? Better to park far away and walk? Any suggestions?

On Thursday and Friday, if you arrive by 8am, there should still be parking under the convention center for $8. I prefer parking at the CC so that when I buy something, I can go throw it in the car instead of carrying it around all day. On Saturday, I recommend arriving at 7:30am AT THE LATEST to get CC parking. On all three days, after you park, stroll into the gaslamp district for a nice liesurely breakfast. I say 3 days because I've never stayed for Sunday, so have no idea what parking is like that day.

If you don't park at the CC, there's lots of parking in other areas, but it's expensive and kind of chaotic. Depending on where you're staying, the shuttle service can be very helpful, as well.

Set a specific spending budget per day, else u will probably blow all your cash within the 1st 2 days. Set aside some time and $$ for food else u will wind up drinking unsavory San Diego tap water for 5 days in a row for nourishment.

Go thru the master list of panels & interviews. After you've spent your wad, go up to the 2nd floor to take in some free movie previews, slide shows, anime or join a debate about comics. makepoint.gif

If u see some dude from Canada that is dark-haired, sullen eyed with sandalled feet, that will be greggy, the Forum Living Legend. sumo.gif

On Thursday and Friday, if you arrive by 8am, there should still be parking under the convention center for $8. I prefer parking at the CC so that when I buy something, I can go throw it in the car instead of carrying it around all day.

Yeah, that is a big problem that not everyone thinks about in advance. Surely don't buy any large items early in the day if you don't have anywhere to leave them. For years I often walked back to my hotel at least once a day (even if a half mile or so away) just to drop off the stuff I had purchased so that I could go back to the con empty handed. But if you know anyone with a table or booth, you could just ask them to store your junk until the end of the show that day. Usually dealers have room under a table or somewhere.

Last year a new parking structure opened to accommodate the overflow. It's just a short walk to the CC. As a result parking wasn't a hassle as it's been in previous years.

On Thursday and Friday, if you arrive by 8am, there should still be parking under the convention center for $8. I prefer parking at the CC so that when I buy something, I can go throw it in the car instead of carrying it around all day.

Yeah, that is a big problem that not everyone thinks about in advance. Surely don't buy any large items early in the day if you don't have anywhere to leave them. For years I often walked back to my hotel at least once a day (even if a half mile or so away) just to drop off the stuff I had purchased so that I could go back to the con empty handed. But if you know anyone with a table or booth, you could just ask them to store your junk until the end of the show that day. Usually dealers have room under a table or somewhere.

They have a bag check usually at the end of the Hall (around Hall H). This is near the comic area so you can go out and store your stuff (if it's not expensive) for a couple of bucks.

There is also a Kinkos where you can mail package and stuff back to yourself during the con. (FedEx)

On Thursday and Friday, if you arrive by 8am, there should still be parking under the convention center for $8. I prefer parking at the CC so that when I buy something, I can go throw it in the car instead of carrying it around all day. On Saturday, I recommend arriving at 7:30am AT THE LATEST to get CC parking. On all three days, after you park, stroll into the gaslamp district for a nice liesurely breakfast.

thumbsup2.gif

That's my MO exactly. Also, stop off at the gorcery store the night before the show. Grab a cooler and load it full of food and "drinks". As the day wears on you can go downstairs and relax/recharge then go back upstairs (with a full-on buzz) and start all over again.

As the day wears on you can go downstairs and relax/recharge then go back upstairs (with a full-on buzz) and start all over again.

Somehow this had never occured to me... SDCC while buzzed... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifyay.gifdevil.gif

Oh wait... this may affect my buying decisions... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...nope... can't do it. Might come home with some Liefeld OA 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif