• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE COMIC INDUSTRY NOWADAYS

43 posts in this topic

dear collectors,

when i got into comics it was something fun, I stayed in due to the fact that it was still fun to collect, I also noticed that people were nice and all were easy to get along with. Within the past year or so when comics became more "popular" I was noitcing some important things

1. people are nice to you when you are at the top or big into the industrym if you are just a everyday collector tough [embarrassing lack of self control] give us your money and like it is the attitude ive been seeing recently

2. people are willing to lie, cheat, and steal to get up top just to show off to people

3. if you are small and want to get a local comic shop open you better have plenty of money and be albe to take some loses because there are people who will cheat you out of money and lie their asses off to you.

4. most of this industry is very corrupt( how so you ask) i have seen it where it is as simple as you scratch my back and ill scratch yours and steal some money from you in the process.

5. If you dont want to put every minute of the day into this industry then ta-ta ad dont look back

all and all in the past year i have had people lie, cheat, and steal from me and try to drag my name in the mud with other people which have lost me some sales and money. I am truly wondering how long this industry willl last with people who dont mind taking money even though they lie their asses off

all i ask is why? why do people think they have to lie to get more money why? Who are you truly going to trust when the people you did trust stab you in the back knowing they are going to the whole time

WHY?

dear collectors,

when i got into comics it was something fun, I stayed in due to the fact that it was still fun to collect, I also noticed that people were nice and all were easy to get along with. Within the past year or so when comics became more "popular" I was noitcing some important things

1. people are nice to you when you are at the top or big into the industrym if you are just a everyday collector tough [embarrassing lack of self control] give us your money and like it is the attitude ive been seeing recently

That is a fact of life in any industry where you spend a lot of money in my opinion. I suppose in respect to top tier books in the industry "Everyday collectors" are pretty irrelavent as thse books pretty much change hands with "hardcore collectors". Really, no matter what type of collector you are you can find nice people and not so nice people, just like with everything else.

2. people are willing to lie, cheat, and steal to get up top just to show off to people

That has been the same since the beginning of time I would guess.

3. if you are small and want to get a local comic shop open you better have plenty of money and be albe to take some loses because there are people who will cheat you out of money and lie their asses off to you.

No. That's just a fact with any new business. It takes a lot of money to start so that you can survive long enough to put your losses behind you, before you make it to "profit".

4. most of this industry is very corrupt( how so you ask) i have seen it where it is as simple as you scratch my back and ill scratch yours and steal some money from you in the process.

Un-true. Maybe what you hear about the industry is very corrupt. But just as with the media, the news you hear will be bad news. You hear about Ewert and Leder and ebay scams. You don't hear about the thousands and thousands of fantastic transactions every week.

5. If you dont want to put every minute of the day into this industry then ta-ta ad dont look back

all and all in the past year i have had people lie, cheat, and steal from me and try to drag my name in the mud with other people which have lost me some sales and money. I am truly wondering how long this industry willl last with people who dont mind taking money even though they lie their asses off

all i ask is why? why do people think they have to lie to get more money why? Who are you truly going to trust when the people you did trust stab you in the back knowing they are going to the whole time

WHY?

Man, you must of had a bad day. I don't know how any of this seems new to you. Ever since people realized there was money to be had in comics, frauds pop up. They are not the norm. You ask why people lie to get money; people lie to get money because people like money. Its that simple.

As a newbie (and who here hasn't been a newbie at one time or another) you were not aware of the shadiness going on. So, you enjoyed what you were doing. Now that you know, your bothered by it.

Certainly you could use that knowledge to help make you a more savvy collector.

What you've learned will only make you stronger. crazy.gif

I've gotten some fair deals lately. cloud9.gif

Any specific stories you'd like to share with us?

popcorn.gif

He must of had a bad year.

I've had a few of those... sorry.gif

2006 has been pretty good to me so far. smile.gif

What's wrong with the comic industry? Well I do have a small gripe. Could they please go to back to producing books that aren't so glossy. I hate glossiness. Also, cardstock covers. I feel Like I'm reading a piece of cardboard.

The comic industry could really cut down on costs passed on to the consumer by using slightly cheaper materials (which IMO wouldn't really hurt the eye appeal of the books all that much). In turn, it would make books a little cheaper which might help bring more people into the hobby or at least make buying new books a bit more cost effective.

they wouldnt save all that much. Would a quarter (25 cents) make that much difference sales wise? Prices just jumped that much and sales werent that high or fallen since, so a small price difference is not the issue.

I like th ehigh production values of todays comics.

There is a lot wrong with comics. In a way, people like me got what we wished for. We knew how wonderful the comic book stories were and we wished everyone could experience what we did.

Well, now they do, on television, in cinema and video games. The original comics that we loved are no longer a mass media. In fact, in the town of 150,000 that I work in there are only two comic book stores and the more established one is in a part of town that people don't want their kids to visit.Most kids have never touched a comic book. They think that a comic book is a book that one buys in a book store, that has cartoons in it.

I believe that our base, kids, is largely gone. The new base, which might be kids in their late teens, is very small.

I myself never buy new comics and haven't done so in at least ten years. They cost too much and they become worthless one second after they are purchased. And you can read them in five minutes. I buy the old ones which retain at least some of their value and may even go up in value, though in the long term who knows?

That's my beef!

Given the price of current comics, any kid that pursue them for entertainment is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A comic cost at least $2 and takes 15 to 30 minutes to read depending so the entertainment cost is $4/hour best case. If I buy the latest computer game, it cost me ~$50 and I get about 200 hours of play time (much more for some games) so that is ~$0.25/hour. Pretty much a no brainer. No, I don't see much of a future for new comics, especially given the art and writing quality. I myself don't care if it is printed on glossy paper if the substanance is complete [embarrassing lack of self control].

I live in Altoona with 50,000 people and there isnt any comic books stores here :-(

Something happened in 1980/81 and Except for a few peaks in 85, 87 and '92 comics have pretty much blown--which is a shame. With the exception of Archie comics which have always been good all these 60+ years (except for the archies with mullets-yuck))