• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics do you want in 10 years?

46 posts in this topic

What comics do you see today that you would like to have in 10 years as investment type copies, say for example you knew that in 1974 that hulk 181 would be a good comic to have.

Some of a few come to mind let me know if you agree or disagree

Civil war

house of M

NYX #3 first X-23

marvel zombies

Well, since I have 3 of those 4, not many though I would love to have SS books of All-Star Superman. I am not looking for them now but I think in 10 years, they will be a good investment.

I wonder, considering the popularity of AS Superman (and if DC can keep up the quality long-term), how well that Neal Adams variant would do after 10 years... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am going to have my copy signed next chance I get. yay.gif

I should get my variant copy signed as well. Though Neal probably won't be doing many seeing as he has a batch with sketches on his site. Now, that I think about that book is probably not a good one for an investment SS book. Darn.

I would have to go with the following:

Early issues of The Walking Dead (Lucky enough to have #1 and #2 CGC 9.8, also #2 CGC 9.6 SS by Kirkman/Moore)

Marvel Zombies (I have the whole set of 1st prints CGC 9.8)

The First Series of 30 Days of Night (I have #1 CGC 9.4, #2 CGC 9.6, #3 CGC 9.8)

Early issues of Y:The Last Man

Warren Ellis' Fell (I scooped up 10 copies of #1 first print) cloud9.gif

And....um.....Spawn #1 perhaps? I must have about 15 NM copies of that book I purchased when it came out makepoint.gif

Anything that I can think of, I already have.

That will change, however, as I am seriously cutting back on the number of new comics I buy.

The only one I don't have is NYX #3. But I don't see X-23 sticking around for the long-haul. She is an unoriginal character, and I don't see what makes her any different from lousy characters like Marrow and Maggot.

Got to agree with Evil_Ash's list with the exception of Marvel Zombies. I just can't see it holding value.

I'd probably add early issues of Fables too. If they are not worth something, they should be. On the flip side, so should most of the early Vertigo books: Preacher, Sandman, Hellblazer, etc.

Pat

I would have to go with the following:

Early issues of The Walking Dead (Lucky enough to have #1 and #2 CGC 9.8, also #2 CGC 9.6 SS by Kirkman/Moore)

Marvel Zombies (I have the whole set of 1st prints CGC 9.8)

The First Series of 30 Days of Night (I have #1 CGC 9.4, #2 CGC 9.6, #3 CGC 9.8)

Early issues of Y:The Last Man

Warren Ellis' Fell (I scooped up 10 copies of #1 first print) cloud9.gif

And....um.....Spawn #1 perhaps? I must have about 15 NM copies of that book I purchased when it came out makepoint.gif

I hate to say it as i'm a huge kirkman/moore fan but i don't see any of those being keepers in 10 years.

I think future prices are too dependent on future readership increase. Which is uncertain at best. I think most people who want this stuff already have it and too many people keep stuff in nice shape these days. With that out of the way I would like to add the following pick...The Goon(first 2 independent series). Most original character for me in a long time.

Future value depends on three main factors:

Young Readership + High Sales + High Attrition = High Resale Values

Unfortunately, none of those of present in the Modern comic market, so expect future prices to drop through the floor.

Oh man, I didn't notice the Spawn #1 reference. DOH, definitely don't see that going anywhere but down. Series dragged on too long and hasn't really been good since the very beginning.

Pat

Oh man, I didn't notice the Spawn #1 reference. DOH, definitely don't see that going anywhere but down. Series dragged on too long and hasn't really been good since the very beginning.

Pat

Sadly, I absolutely agree.... At least I got all of my copies of #1 for cover price, hopefully they'll be worth at least that much 27_laughing.gif

Young Readership + High Sales + High Attrtition = High Resale Values

Unfortunately, none of those of present in the Modern comic market, so expect future prices to drop through the floor.

agree 100%. Ask yourself this- what comic books published after 1980 would you have through were good investments at the time? What is thier current (real) value? Apart from certain very low print run first appearances (albedo #2, TMNT #1) and popular series that have not been reprinted (Miracleman), I'd say that almost everything else published since then has been a negative investment. You'd have been better off putting the money in the stock market, or even just a bond.

agree 100%. Ask yourself this- what comic books published after 1980 would you have through were good investments at the time? What is thier current (real) value? Apart from certain very low print run first appearances (albedo #2, TMNT #1) and popular series that have not been reprinted (Miracleman), I'd say that almost everything else published since then has been a negative investment. You'd have been better off putting the money in the stock market, or even just a bond.

i've suggested the same in another thread. other than USM #1 and variants i can't think of many post 1980 books that are worth much. anyone have a list excluding the ones above and gobbledygook #1 and #2?

Excluding the topic of ultra-high grade collectors and variant covers-

off the top of my head, they are all low print independents. And many of these have not gone up in value at all since the 80s.

Primer #2

Grendel 1-3 (bw)

Miracleman (all)

Flex Mentallo 1-4

Flaming carrot #1 mag size

Visions 1-5

some of the Valiant books, but these have inconsistent realized sale prices.

then there are plently of things with 'book value', but no real value, like Sandman, Preacher, etc.

Young Readership + High Sales + High Attrtition = High Resale Values

agree 100%. Ask yourself this- what comic books published after 1980 would you have through were good investments at the time?

Spidey 298-310. Hulk 340.

Common AND valueable These sorts of books are out there, just not very plentiful.

Nowadays, predicting value 10 years out is impossible. Its the rare modern that holds a high value for more than a couple years. As soon as the series is gone, the value tends to fall. So, I'd say that the modern comic I'd most want to have 10 years from now is probably going to be published in 8 years.