• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Watchmen sh##!!!!

14 posts in this topic

Wow....just......wow. While one of those bidders ends up buying that one book for aroung $800, I can probably walk into an LCS/Con and grab a perfectly NM copy for less than 1% of that price.

Why can't those bidders put that $800 something better than Watchmen #1? It just makes no sense to me.

I think we have that Pope comic phenomenon happenin' right now. Any of you board members have Watchmen 9.8s you had better git' 'em on ebay asap. The time to sell is now. I'll be laughin' with your skanky too.

It's already started...

http://search.ebay.com/cgc-9-8_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsatitleZcgcQ209Q2e8QQsbrsrtZd

Interesting. Only three have been in as long as GPA has been around. $310 in 2003 and then a gap of more than two years until one sold for $675 in December of 2005. You'd think more 9.8s would have sold since it's such a significant book.

Well there's 7 in 9.8 out of 144 graded copies (37 in 9.6).

So from a modern perspective you can call that scarce book in grade. But still the price does seem astronomical for the book, even with so few occupying the top spot.

And with all the high grade detractors out there, it is still a challenge to hit the high mark of 9.8 on submissions. So unless someone closeted away multiple copies of a non-continum mini series with a uk writer and artist(?) at the helm, I'd say we could safely expect the numbers for the 9.8's to only increase slowly over the coming years. While those 9.4 9.6 spots fill out further.

p.s yes I wish I had a couple right now, sold my run for guide.

This one amazed me almost as much as the #1

Watchmen #2 CGC 9.8 foreheadslap.gif

and these were pretty crazy too

Watchmen #11 CGC 9.8

Watchmen #12 CGC 9.8

It seems it was the same 2 guys typing in the big numbers on the bid submissions. So this could be another case of just two guys battling it out, and not a hidden appreciation of slab moderns on level we've never seen before.

Isn't there a movie in the works??

. So unless someone closeted away multiple copies of a non-continum mini series with a uk writer and artist(?) at the helm, I'd say we could safely expect the numbers for the 9.8's to only increase slowly over the coming years. While those 9.4 9.6 spots fill out further.

p.s yes I wish I had a couple right now, sold my run for guide.

You are joking,no? Watchman was the most anticipated event of the year,Moore was coming off his incredibly popular Swamp Thing run,and you find it odd that foreheadslap.gifpeople hoarded copies?