• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed!

16 posts in this topic

Does anybody in here have a handle on the Bronze art market? I was the high bidder on this piece at $920. He's offered it to me at $1500. Realizing that this is the period of art that I REALLY want, is this a legitimate price for Perez artwork from the period. I really don't want to get hosed because I'm overpaying for something I like. Any advice would be appreciated.

A Perez & Sinnott FF page with the Thing and the Hulk on it? I could see how he would want $1500 for the page although it seems kind of high, but Perez art is very much in demand, and Thing/Hulk battles are always sought after, so why don't you try to negotiate him down to $1100-1200?

Kev

Passing along the info from my buddy who got me into original art:

A lot of the Perez pieces from this period are locked up permanently in collections, so they don't come up very often at all. When they do, most of them change hands in trades rather than cash deals.

For a six-panel page, this one has great headshots and a lot of action, so it's probably just below a splash in terms of desirability.

$1000 to $1200 is a reasonable value to put on it... but with original art you're dealing with fewer and fewer opportunities to pick up quality stuff as less and less of it is changing hands publicly. If you really like the piece, you're not a fool to pay $1500 for it... but it is a little more than what it's probably worth...

That said, I'd be stunned if you couldn't get more than $1500 for it in a couple years... The Perez fans are rabid, and there are a bunch of them...

Man, that's a great page from a fun book. I'm selling a 167 on ebay right now. I think it all comes down to how badly you want it. Offer him 1,100, let him counter at 1,400, counter with 1,200 and settle on 1,300. 1,500 seems a little high, but it could be worth it in the long run. I think if you can get it for 1,300 or less then jump on it.

Price of vintage 1970s G Perez orig. artwork seems to have recently doubled due to the strong results from the profiles-in-history art auctions on eBay.

Perez art:

Nov/01 Avengers #143 pg. 22 (1976) $460 at Heritage.

Nov/02 Avengers (1977?) weak pg. 1 title splash art w/ Alfred, Capt Amer, Wonderman. I sold this on eBay for around $430.

May/03 Avengers #154, 2 panel pgs 23, 26. Both for $3,500 eBay.

May/03 Avengers panel pgs. circa 1977 $1,330 to $1,400 each. eBay.

At the $1,500 price point, I would rather buy a Perez/Austin X-men Annual page.

But u love that period of FF Thing vs Hulk, so negotiate hard. acclaim.gif

FD, glad to see you were the high bidder on this (I thought of you as soon as I saw it listed). While a bit steep, it's one of "your" books and I think it's a really neglected classic. It's one of my favorite stories and I think it's a stellar page--almost every main character in the book, action, action, action. I don't think you can go wrong. The real barometer is how will you feel with it hanging up in your living room. Forget about the "value". If it makes you truly happy, you won't feel ripped off.

I'm going to do three payments of $500 each, he's going to ship it insured for free (which is about $35) and throw in some books. These are "my" books, so I'm paying the little extra juice for it. Will be framed and hanging over my desk. Next question - do I put it in my home office or my work office?

You put it in the place where the most people will see it....ED

Only true if your goal is to try to impress people... or to encourage them to steal it...

Otherwise you put it where you get to enjoy it... and if it impresses other people in the process, so be it...

Congratulations! That is a nice page. When it went over $700, I had to stop even thinking about it.

Well, I thought about it... grin.gif I just stopped thinking about bidding on it.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Realizing that this is the period of art that I REALLY want, is

You answered your own question right here.....smart move on buying that piece....what is alot now, will be a baragin in a year or so....art work is such an untapped market that has really exploded in the last couple of years....with ebay and heritage showcasing some of the most unbelivable stuff....Course, so much of it is in private collections...or Metropolis has it ! wink.gif