• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARTIST MATURATION

41 posts in this topic

There is a noted artist who dislikes even the slightest hint that his skills are declining as he has gotten older. He actually feels he is a better artist today than he ever has been. In my opinion, this artist is about 20 years past his prime. But I will admit, I'm about 20 years past my prime in a lot of areas. I don't get defensive about these areas, as I clearly know it is a function of age, and of course my income is not based on these.

So, the question is: What artist has improved over the years, i.e. the work today is better than that say 20-30 years ago? I guess I posted this thread over here to see if anyone could provide examples (before and after images). No one really comes to mind, but obviously there is plenty of room for healthy debate.

There is a noted artist who dislikes even the slightest hint that his skills are declining as he has gotten older. He actually feels he is a better artist today than he ever has been. In my opinion, this artist is about 20 years past his prime. But I will admit, I'm about 20 years past my prime in a lot of areas. I don't get defensive about these areas, as I clearly know it is a function of age, and of course my income is not based on these.

So, the question is: What artist has improved over the years, i.e. the work today is better than that say 20-30 years ago? I guess I posted this thread over here to see if anyone could provide examples (before and after images). No one really comes to mind, but obviously there is plenty of room for healthy debate.

i think Barry Windsor-Smith got much better as his career progressed.

Bill Sienkiewicz moved from a Neal Adams clone to a guy with a very particular style all his own.

those are the first two that come to mind

Steranko is a guy who was creating work far more advanced in his middle and later career than the stuff he was doing in the mid to late 1960s. I love the sixties material, but his book covers in the 70s were much more advanced.

Jae Lee is doing better work now than he did in the beginning of his career (about 15 years ago, by my count).

David Lapham is doing much better work now than he did in his Valiant days (about 10-15 years ago, also)

Bill Sienkiewicz moved from a Neal Adams clone to a guy with a very particular style all his own.

Actually Sienkiewicz started as a Jack Kirby/John Romita (think old school) clone... then Adams... then, after taking a break from comics, developed his own style.

SienkewiczBill_FantasticFou.jpg

Another modern example is Bryan Hitch. Early on he had avery Alan Davis feel to his art. Now he has a much more refined (and better) style.

I wonder if this was inked by Paul Neary, who has inked Alan Davis as well?

Tony Harris has been around forever and is producing some of his best work right now (although his early painted covers were amazing too).

Another modern example is Bryan Hitch. Early on he had avery Alan Davis feel to his art. Now he has a much more refined (and better) style.

I wonder if this was inked by Paul Neary, who has inked Alan Davis as well?

Yes, that piece was inked by Neary.

Good call.... it looks like Neary inks.

I liked some of the work that Davis and Neary did on Detective in the early 80s but haven't cared for much else.

I think Tony Harris hit the ground running.... he was doing great work on Starman right from the beginning.

OK, admittedly I'm a bit biased...but Ed Benes' stuff is much better than it was even three years ago...let alone 10 or 12 years ago.

And I agree with Brett's assessment of Tony Harris.

I'd also mention JH Williams III, whose stuff in the early '90s was pretty bad...then, later, pretty average...and with Promethea, he really hit his stride.

Actually Sienkiewicz started as a Jack Kirby/John Romita (think old school) clone... then Adams... then, after taking a break from comics, developed his own style.

Sienkiewicz was doing his Adams imitation in the late '70s, his short run on the FF was a few years later. It didn't last very long either as the inking by Sinnott & later, Marcos, really messed up his style. I remember reading something about his being unhappy with the way Marvel covered up his style, which ended his run early.

Since STEVE DILLON OA makes up a majority of my collection I have noticed quite a change(for the better) in his art in just the five years he did Preacher.

I can't post pics now, but take a look at an issue 1 page(or hellblazer) next to an issue 60 page and the different is readily apparent. His 'style' is still recognizable, but the later pages are much cleaner.

Mike

(always looking for ANY Preacher pages wink.gif)

So, you noticed it too? I was about to mention that but his work on Preacher was much nicer compared to Hellblazer. Does Steve do his own inks because I figured someone else was inking between the 2 titles and that was reason.

I think Bagley's stuff is better than it was 10 years ago. I woould also argue the same thing for John Romita Jr., but for different reasons as he's come into more of his own unique style (like it or not) in the past 7-8 years.

So, you noticed it too? I

I noticed it is someone's birthday too.....

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to you....

If you call Captain Marvel Shazam Timulty will castrate you...

yay.gif

Congrats..

Chris

Jae Lee is doing better work now than he did in the beginning of his career (about 15 years ago, by my count).

I disagree totally, and much prefer Jae Lee's earlier work. There was much more power and energy in his work back then and I find his current work far too stylised.