• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Web of Spiderman 18 & 24

109 posts in this topic

Yeah, I just made that up. The point is that when you do something behind the scenes, you can make many changes before it's revealed.

Sure, but this time it was in reverse.

They made up a female character that was never actually shown again, then years later, the symbiote was used for Venom.

And the author has long ago admitted the character in those WOSM issues was a woman, so why is everyone trying to shoehorn it in as Venom?

The way I look at it is this:

- Michelinie had an idea for a new villain using the symbiote

- Peter Parker (NOT Spider-Man) is pushed in front of a train by a shadowed figure (arm is shown on-panel) who does not trigger his Spider-sense

- Peter is later (6 months real time, ? Marvel time) grabbed by a shadowed arm while climbing a building, causing him to fall

- both of these incidents happened shortly after the death of Jean DeWolff (Eddie Brock's backstory)

- just over a year later (real time), a new villain is fully revealed for Spider-Man's Amazing anniversary issue #300

- this villain also knows Spider-Man's secret I.D., does not trigger his Spider-sense, and likes messing with PP/Spidey (with the ultimate goal of destroying him, just like every other villain)

- Marvel acknowledges Venom's first appearance (behind the scenes) as being WoSM 18 in the 1989 update of the Official Handbook

In my view, the original concept for the character is irrelevant. No definitive character was ever shown, female or otherwise. The idea morphed into Venom. This is obviously where we disagree.

Hey, I'm just talking about the "real world", where Venom didn't exist until the Todster gave his input, and Michelinie's creation has been shown to be a female character who never made it prime time. Heck, Eddie Brock didn't even make an appearance until ASM 298, I believe.

Those are the facts, and anything else is a revisionist fanboy retcon.

- both of these incidents happened shortly after the death of Jean DeWolff

I wonder if the original concept in WOS 18 & 24 was to have Jean DeWolff be the gal wearing the symbiote? That would make sense. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif