• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a rule for sellers that states....

52 posts in this topic

you must have at least 100 posts before you can start posting in either of the 2 marketplaces? I am beginning to see too many newbies listing things for sale, and although some will ultimately turn out to be valuable contributors as forumites, I'm willing to bet many will not. It seems the word is getting around to ebay dealers that this is the cheap alternative to ebay, or at least a way to pump up your ebay sales.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I am inclined to sell to and buy from established board members only, otherwise you're taking a gamble similar to what you take on ebay.

any line in the sand like 100 posts seems arbitrary

as you mention, you tend to give little weight or attention to those posters who don't contribute elsewhere. Therefore it is a rule that doesn't need to be made and is already being enforced to some degree based on each individual's beliefs.

I can tell you from my experience thus far, I have not gotten the attention to my sales that I wanted due to lack of participation elsewhere and lack of posts. I am begining to post in other forums of interest and seek guidance from more senior board members. So hopefully this is an indication that I am here to stay.

However I'm sure there are those who won't put in that time/commitment and will be gone due to lack of response to their sales posts.

In short, a better form (not so harsh and discriminating) already exists ,not in word but in action. So why bother.

just my $0.02

as you mention, you tend to give little weight or attention to those posters who don't contribute elsewhere. Therefore it is a rule that doesn't need to be made and is already being enforced to some degree based on each individual's beliefs.

I can tell you from my experience thus far, I have not gotten the attention to my sales that I wanted due to lack of participation elsewhere and lack of posts. I am begining to post in other forums of interest and seek guidance from more senior board members. So hopefully this is an indication that I am here to stay.

However I'm sure there are those who won't put in that time/commitment and will be gone due to lack of response to their sales posts.

In short, a better form (not so harsh and discriminating) already exists ,not in word but in action. So why bother.

just my $0.02

Well said, and a good observation. thumbsup2.gif

just my $0.02

100 posts is just arbritrary. I personally do not think wading through all the auctions is a better form; it's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm simply looking for more of a filter than what exists now. We had a similar discussion recently about this forum becoming like ebay, and what I would like to avoid is having to sort through 5 different posts of auctions to get to the one of a genuine forumite.

I'm sure that as you continue to post and demonstrate your interest in comics (as opposed to just looking for another selling venue), and get a bunch of successful transactions under your belt, things will pick up.

I'm not looking to build the "party of exclusion" here, everyone has to start out sometime. I'm just fearful that the Marketplace will be ruined by an increasing hoard of ebay sellers.

I think 14,000 is a better cut off point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just wish everyone put SA, BA, GA, or Modern in the subject line.

I hate clicking on "ASMs for sale" to find the lowest issue is 290 when I'm looking for SA.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

you must have at least 100 posts before you can start posting in either of the 2 marketplaces?

Which can be reached in less than an hour if you go the graemlin-Greggy way.

I believe it should be measured in time....

The board software allows for parameters that would make it possible for newbies to be able to reply to threads in the Marketplace but not start a thread for a period of say...a month

I just wish everyone put SA, BA, GA, or Modern in the subject line.

I hate clicking on "ASMs for sale" to find the lowest issue is 290 when I'm looking for SA.

But that's why they do it - to get you to click.

The board software allows for parameters that would make it possible for newbies to be able to reply to threads in the Marketplace but not start a thread for a period of say...a month

If so, then I say we petition Arch to activate it.

That would be a very simple way to keep newb scammers out, and requires no further administration from Arch.

you guys are too sensitive or something

I'm new, and I'm trying to sell, but so far I've bought more in $$ than I have sold or even offered for sale.

I would think that would eliminate me from the "scammer" label.

Further, why would you assume a new guy is a scammer just because they haven't figured out the nuances of the board yet? Give 'em a chance to make mistakes, take the heat and learn.

Newbies have a lot to offer and shouldn't be discriminated against.

I'm new, and I'm trying to sell, but so far I've bought more in $$ than I have sold or even offered for sale.

Further, why would you assume a new guy is a scammer just because they haven't figured out the nuances of the board yet? Give 'em a chance to make mistakes, take the heat and learn.

thumbsup2.gif

You'll feel differently about buying/selling from newbie posters after you've been here a while... thumbsup2.gif

I agree, I rarely participate in useless emoticon exchanges, and don't have the time to participate in too many threads. I do participate in some topics and give my opinion on grades occasionally though.

As such after a year on the board I've barely reached 100.

Putting a post limit would encourage useless emoticon posting which is already running rampant in these boards.

So I agree the solution should be time. How much time???

I think a month is still too short and would be too easy for "fly by nighters". People with only a month won't have a good sense of the format board members like auctions to be in.

I think three months would be a good time.

When I joined these boards it was about three months before I put up my first items, and they sold.

gossip.gifBy the way Chrome dome your books have been sent. Let me know when they arrive!!! flowerred.gif

I've said it before...I just hate the idea of limiting posting based on newness to the boards. I just think it sends such an unwelcome message to newcomers. If stuff is overgraded or if you don't want to buy from someone with a low post count (reasonably enough), seems easy enough to tune it out and move on. Just my opinion tho.

Sometimes, yes. Often, you'll find people that post here solely to spam their ebay auctions. These guys are looking to find a way to control this spammage before it gets out of hand.

As previously stated, we've seen a larger influx of ebay dealers that are posting here only to peddle their wares. Since this is a community message board, the community has every right to try and nip this sort of less-than-desirable action in the bud.

Sometimes, yes. Often, you'll find people that post here solely to spam their ebay auctions. These guys are looking to find a way to control this spammage before it gets out of hand.

As previously stated, we've seen a larger influx of ebay dealers that are posting here only to peddle their wares. Since this is a community message board, the community has every right to try and nip this sort of less-than-desirable action in the bud.

I can certainly understand your feelings, but isn't that why the Ebay board was created? To let people bring attention to their Ebay wares? If Ebay peddlers aren't bothering you on the other boards why not let them have their way with the one forum that was seemingly created with them in mind.

Why put limits on the FS or WTB forum which could be (as it is in my case) a place to look for what I do need and offer up what I don't?

Just my opinion

Couldn't agree more. I've thought about this, as there has been a recent flood of new sellers who seem to be here from Ebay. I suppose as Ebay continues to screw the very people who've made them sucessful, we will see more as rates go up. What these seller's don't get is that, around these here parts, grade is everything (spot on grading) and prices generally need to start around 30% off, if not more.

Requiring a "post count" to participate, in MHO, will only result in a massive spamming of the boards, ruining any reading value. Better to just let things occur naturally, use the same sense here that is used when making decisions to buy off ebay, and the short-term members will leave soon enough. Those who stop, look around, and contribute will stay on. Just my .01 cents (I'm too cheap to drop .02 cents).