• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in Poly Bags--Long-Term Effects?

32 posts in this topic

What happens when comics are in poly bags for decades without changing the bags? At what point do the bags break down and actually damage or even ruin the comics? I've never heard of comics with bag damage before, but given the plastic breaks down, what does happen to the comics?

V/R,

Mike

I've heard the calls that bags and boards need to be changed every 5-7 years. But in my experience, I've had comics in the same bags for 15+ years and they look as fresh as the day I bought them. I've also bought comics in badly yellowing bags that were wonderful once you pulled them out.

I'm sure there is a point the bags start to effect the comic but I haven't seen it yet with my collection...

Jim

Great subject.

I just picked up a collection today that had been in their bags since 1984. The bags were never changed and all the covers had a very tacky feel and the page quality was rather off white.

Not a scientfic measure by any means, just my 3 cents.

Great subject.

I just picked up a collection today that had been in their bags since 1984. The bags were never changed and all the covers had a very tacky feel and the page quality was rather off white.

Maybe it's the conditions they were stored rather than the bags... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Great subject.

Maybe it's the conditions they were stored rather than the bags... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

It might of been, but polybags will break down over time and when they yellow they have reached their final stage of decay. I just do not think they are good for the long term, or even short term (10+ years)

It might of been, but polybags will break down over time and when they yellow they have reached their final stage of decay. I just do not think they are good for the long term, or even short term (10+ years)

Neither do I...just stating what my experience has been...

Jim

Working in the coatings field as a lab chemist a few years ago, when plastics age, the plasticizers begin to leach out of the actual plastic and that is what you feel as "tacky". Plasticizers are an oily additive that is added to give the product a softness. They often leach out first. I am not sure 100% if this applies to poly bags, but i think so.

when plastics age, the plasticizers begin to leach out of the actual plastic and that is what you feel as "tacky". Plasticizers are an oily additive that is added to give the product a softness. They often leach out first. I am not sure 100% if this applies to poly bags, but i think so.

I think you must be right. I have definitely encountered that "greasiness" when removing comics from old poly bags. But, as others have posted, the comics themselves often look great. My experience was with my own teen-age collection of about 500 comics. They were all in poly (no boards) in cardboard boxes in my parents' basement from 1985-2005. Every bit of 20 years later, and they still looked great. It may have helped that they live in Winnipeg, Canada, which is a naturally arid climate with cold winters. So, basements there are not the damp, musty kind we have here in Jersey!

I've heard the calls that bags and boards need to be changed every 5-7 years. But in my experience, I've had comics in the same bags for 15+ years and they look as fresh as the day I bought them. I've also bought comics in badly yellowing bags that were wonderful once you pulled them out.

I'm sure there is a point the bags start to effect the comic but I haven't seen it yet with my collection...

Jim

Ditto. I've had the same experience. I've slowly got to the point that I'm using mylars and fullbacks for everything but Modern stuff, which I'm selling anyway.

i've purchased a book or two over the years that came in the Robert Bell poly-bags and they had turned a sickly and sticky greenish/yellow. i cannot believe that this wouldn't harm the book to some extent over a very long period (20-30 years).

AND, those that had scotch tape had started to disintegrate into a gooey mess where the tape was............

still, they are a classic part of the hobby................. 27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif

BINGO!!!!

don't want to come off as the "Yoda" of comic storage, but Awesome hit the nail on the perverbial head.

Without question, THE three biggest factors regarding archival storage, and preservation, of paper materials is HEAT, LIGHT & MOISTURE.

I, like awe...have had sets of books that just we're never that important to me, sitting in polypropolene/ethelene bags for 20 yrs. Know what happened when I removed them??? they looked like the day they were bought. Bright colors, white page quality...literally perfect. Sure the bags and tape we're starting their process of degredation, but the books themselves were pristine.

Although i've spents thousands of dollars on my "archival" Mylars & Boards through the years, I have always found this part of the industry, dubious. I will continue to use the process i've used all these years for no other reasons than I can, and its become habitual. However, I truly don't believe that if stored properly, away from heat, light, and moisture...that you couldn't store comic books in a corner of a room, and get the same results in condition decades later 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif as if "archivally" stored.

I know guys selling comic supplies won't like that, but its a scientiffic fact...in OUR lifetimes, the storage of paper in acid free boards and mylars is overkill, no doubt! gossip.gif

i've purchased a book or two over the years that came in the Robert Bell poly-bags and they had turned a sickly and sticky greenish/yellow. i cannot believe that this wouldn't harm the book to some extent over a very long period (20-30 years).

AND, those that had scotch tape had started to disintegrate into a gooey mess where the tape was............

still, they are a classic part of the hobby................. 27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif

Ok. Maybe I'm a lazy collector, but I'm not to concerned about the bags. I bought a nice collection back in around 1985. They were still sitting in their Robert Bell bags that the collector had put on them in the early-mid 70's.

100_0991.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0994.jpg

100_0993.jpg

Pulled them out of the boxes this morning to take these shots....still in the Robert Bell bags. Yeah, I know I need to change them, but the bags have not yellowed & the books are still glossy & clean. Like Burnt Boy said, "they are history."

It may have helped that they live in Winnipeg, Canada

I started collecting in the late 70's and decided to re-bag my collection in the early 00's. I do live in Winnipeg, and although the bags were yellowed the comics inside were in as good a condition as the day I bagged them.

Also, sometime during the late 80's I kept my collection in less than prestine conditions in an unfinished basement against an outside wall.

As a result, I had a small amount of mould build up on the top of the comic bag. This was the side of the bag against the concrete wall. Fortuneately I didn't keep them in those conditions long enough for the comic to be effected.

So, 20 years easy would be ok, but all the books did look better in a new bag.

Question. I store my comics in my basement against an outside wall. They are bagged,boarded, and vertical in file cabinets. There is a dehumidifier nearby. Now, the basement is bone dry, no leaks from the walls, etc.

Should I be concerned about this mold situatrion that was mentioned?

Question. I store my comics in my basement against an outside wall. They are bagged,boarded, and vertical in file cabinets. There is a dehumidifier nearby. Now, the basement is bone dry, no leaks from the walls, etc.

No good ever comes out of storing comics in basements...unless you're Edgar Church...

Jim

BINGO!!!!

don't want to come off as the "Yoda" of comic storage, but Awesome hit the nail on the perverbial head.

Without question, THE three biggest factors regarding archival storage, and preservation, of paper materials is HEAT, LIGHT & MOISTURE.

I, like awe...have had sets of books that just we're never that important to me, sitting in polypropolene/ethelene bags for 20 yrs. Know what happened when I removed them??? they looked like the day they were bought. Bright colors, white page quality...literally perfect. Sure the bags and tape we're starting their process of degredation, but the books themselves were pristine.

OK, but how would you rank these in importance? I would think moisture would be first, direct light second, and heat third.

V/R,

Mike

Great subject.

Conflict of interest comicsupply but I'll take it. bumpit.gif

You need two conditions for mold to grow "Moisture" and "Heat" to equal humidity without them mold will not grow so your situation sounds ok.

Watch for overhead waterpipes and place your collection away from a outside wall it will radiate cold.