• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kingdom Come Artday!! (and Alex Ross musings)

7 posts in this topic

For those of you just interested in the art, here it is!! Read on for some personal musings...

Guardian of the Pacific Northwest!

Overlay

So those of you who know me know that my collecting philosophy has changed quite a bit recently. After a year in the community, I gave up, to some extent, on buying more expensive pieces, when I wasn't any more excited about them than more affordable modern pieces. Basically, I turned into a cheapskate. wink.gif Why buy a $2000 page when a $200 page made me just as happy?

Well, with that in mind, I figured I'd never score another Alex Ross piece. I love Ross, with Kingdom Come being my favorite of all his work. And being a big DC guy, Kingdom Come is one of the modern pinnacles of storytelling in the DC universe for me. But Ross' prices are always frustrating, because while his top top quality stuff is worth the asking price, the grades below that are, to me, WAY overpriced. (what these pieces sell for on the secondary markets is evidence of this -- half, or less, generally, than what they originally sold for)

Having often overpaid for Ross' work in the first place, many people are loathe to take a big loss on it. Hence, not much comes to market. But lo and behold, this great looking page popped up on Ebay, and ended two days after San Diego, while many were still recouperating wink.gif Though the piece didn't hit reserve, I was able to work something out with the seller, and it now has a very happy and very enthusiastic home (can't you tell?) Woohoo!!

Thanks for looking!!

J

Timing is everything:) It's funny, I was just wondering while I was in SD what sort of good deals people were getting on Ebay because so many collectors were off-line. Congrats!

Oh yeah, that's a pretty sweet EX MACHINA cover as well...you lucky bast@rd:)

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the addicting nature of nice art means that now that I have two pages, I look at them and just hope to someday find more!! Well, since I picked up the first in my first year of collecting, and the second now, as I'm beginning my second year, perhaps there's hope to make this an annual event!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

J