• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creator willingness to sign for Signature Series?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some questions for the official witnesses as well as those of you who are big fans of SS books - Are there creators who refuse or openly express dislike signing any book that they know is destined for a SS slab? How do they react to witnesses at various cons? Some of your faces must be getting familiar by now.

Do you think there currently exists, or that there many eventually be backlash, in CGC's profiting (however small) from creator signatures? What about all the books that seem to be getting signed for the purpose of a quick flip/resell?

I'm asking because I think SS books can make for a great souvenir from one's favorite writer/artist. However, I can't help but wonder if some creators might feel abused by not getting a piece of the pie. It' one thing to sign for a fee, for charity, or to sign a reasonable number of books for fan in person. But perhaps it's a little different when you're signing a lot of books gratis for someone who is not there, or if a fan is about to hand over xxx amount of money to CGC because of the creator autograph.

Again, I want to emphasize that I think it's an awesome service, and I know that the witnesses work VERY hard for not a ton of money. SS is really catching on, and I'd love to see it continue to be successful for everyone involved. I'm just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

-Jim

right now it's no big deal i dont think, but i can see creators charging in the future, but I don't see them flat out saying no to people who want to sell or collect their books, it's good PR.

As far as the sign-for-someone not there deal, I hope that they realize that not everyone can make it (like myself) to alot of these shows, but still want to have the sigs of their favorite writers,artists,etc.

That's the way it is for me too.

As far as the sign-for-someone not there deal, I hope that they realize that not everyone can make it (like myself) to alot of these shows, but still want to have the sigs of their favorite writers,artists,etc.

That's the way it is for me too.

Me three.

I offer creators money if they sign a large stack some sign the stack and refuse the money some take the money for charity some refuse to sign multiples even for money. Some sign if they know it is for a good cause. For example I offered shelly moldoff money because he was signing such a big stack of books he turned down the money. I offered Carmine Infantino 3 per book to sign like 15 books but he said no I kept going back he would sign one at a time no big deal. Joyce chin and her husband art adams along with Joe kelly and joe casey and many other creators were more than willing to sign 10 + copies of superman batman 26 when they found out some would be donated to the same loeb charity auction and I would donate some money for the ones not being donated to the auction. Jim mooney was moore than happy to sign 10 + books. Todd McFarlane even signed 25 books for me in NY at one shot and didn't take the charity money I offered. Micheal turner sees me at every con with stacks and he sees me with CGC staff I am sure he knows what it is for. Others like Frank Miller don't like signing multiples nomatter who you are or how much you offer. Some Creators Even get their own books SS slabbed by CGC. A few examples are Mark Brooks, Craig Kyle, and Neal Adams. Thomas Jane who played the punisher even signed a stack for me when I told him what it was for ( that was even after he was only signing for people with special tickets at a local show).