• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name that Horror Story.......

17 posts in this topic

I have a story that's been bugging me for some time and I'm trying to find out what title, issue #, etc this story appeared in. It's most likely Bronze Age but here's what I remember....

The story in question was about an old man who lived alone with his cat. One rainy night he heard a sound and when he opened the front door, there was a pink blob-like creature at the door step. He kept the blob-like creature as a pet and at the end of the story, he was sitting in his chair and over the course of several panels, the creature slowly consumed him. The story concluded with some type of moral a-la Cain and Abel style (House of Mystery/House of Secrets). The front cover had an image of a creepy old house in the background and it was very dark.

It reminds me of one of the bronze DC titles like House of Secrets, Ghosts, etc. Any guesses?

I haven't read that one yet...now I'm interested. Let me do some research. I'm sure if shiver is lurking he would know. He's got more horror knowledge in his pinky than I do in my entire body. Do yourself a favor...peruse the covers on www.comics.org site...that might spark your memory.

I forgot to mention, this book was definitely published in the early 70's, probably '72 or '73 as it was bought new off the rack in a Mom & Pop type store so that negates the chances of it being a Twisted Tales or Alien Worlds (love those series though).

I also did some perusing on www.comics.org and nothing rang a bell. The biggest problem was finding the horror titles from the early 70's as I'm not a collector or 70's horror. All I could come up with was the House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghosts, and one or two others. I know there were several other horror titles (DC & non-DC) published at that time.

I forgot to mention, this book was definitely published in the early 70's, probably '72 or '73 as it was bought new off the rack in a Mom & Pop type store so that negates the chances of it being a Twisted Tales or Alien Worlds (love those series though).

I also did some perusing on www.comics.org and nothing rang a bell. The biggest problem was finding the horror titles from the early 70's as I'm not a collector or 70's horror. All I could come up with was the House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghosts, and one or two others. I know there were several other horror titles (DC & non-DC) published at that time.

Maybe it was a Charlton...

Jim

If you think it's a DC, do you remember enough about the cover to narrow it down a bit?

15c cover price?

Did it have the two large circles at the top? 20c

The band across the top with the logo in the center? 25, 30c

The still going definitive corner logo? 35c and on

If it's Charlton, the cover is likely painted...does that ring a bell?

God, there's so many comics from the Bronze Age...good luck....

I've only checked HOM very quickly...the only story title that looks like it might be it is "Brain Food" in #215. I'm not at home right now, but does anyone have a copy that they could see?

The "type" of story leads me to believe it is definitely NOT Ghosts or Unexpected...

Witching Hour, Secrets of Sinister House, and Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion are other DC titles you may want to review.

Are you sure that it is at least a DC? Because we need to narrow down the 700+ horror bronze issues a bit.

The story in question was about an old man who lived alone with his cat. One rainy night he heard a sound and when he opened the front door, there was a pink blob-like creature at the door step. He kept the blob-like creature as a pet and at the end of the story, he was sitting in his chair and over the course of several panels, the creature slowly consumed him. The story concluded with some type of moral a-la Cain and Abel style (House of Mystery/House of Secrets). The front cover had an image of a creepy old house in the background and it was very dark.

Sounds like a H. P. Lovecraft sort of tale.

Okay, it looks like I may have found the issue in question based upon the cover. Does anyone have a copy of House of Secrets #81 handy to tell me if it has a story about an old man who brings a pinkish blob-like creature into his house only to be eaten by it?

House of Secrets #81

I have the entire run of Twisted Tales and it doesn't sound familiar to me. But since this has come up, I would also like to seek help finding a horror story. Here it goes:

There is a child who is abused in some way. Lonely, he finds an egg near his house, and when it hatches it is a baby demon. The boy takes care of it and the two become close friends and near the end, it changes its shape to mimic the boy's (I believe to either kill the parents or the boy's keeper, I can't remember which.)

I know this is very vague but I can tell you that I read it between 1980 to 1984. I'm thinking it is a DC horror title but I can't be sure of that.

Man, we should make this an ongoing "easter egg" hunt. I have to admit the story sounds familiar but I have no clue. Along these lines of demons be-friending kids is this story:

B3260026.jpg

Essentially Nick keeps paving the way for the kid (Mikey) by eliminating those that aren't nice. I remember the fat dad frying in the bathtub when Nick throws in an electric device. Shocking!

Shameless Collector Plug: I need this book in NM+ or better if anyone has one!