• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The August Heritage Auction

312 posts in this topic

you know what got no resoect in this auction??

MADs..

This is no surprise at all. If I were a HG EC or Mad collector sitting on a big collection already, I would be livid at how Heritage has almost singlehandedly killed the market. It seems like every auction there are ultra-HG after ultra-HG Gaines EC/Mads listed, the vast majority most of which don't sell. Conversely, If I were interested in acquiring HG ECs/Mads, I would feel absolutely no urgency whatsoever because they' ALL seem to be available.

Yeah, that's rough. There are what, 12 copies of each EC that are called Gaines File copies? Does that hold true for every EC book? i fso, that means that there are hundreds upon hundreds of ultra-high grade EC books out there. When you put a huge reserve on a set of those books, those books will sit. It certainly makes it appear like it is very easy (just expensive) to procure any number of HG ECs...

Many of the horror titles still sold for hefty prices though. Specially the 9.6s. The Mad Magazines issues ouldnt find a buyer at even $300 a piece. I always liked Mads (and have quite a few) but it seems lik etheir days have passed . Or am I exaggerrating from just this auction?

Seriously, the Barks Crippen books are selling for 3-10x guide. This is not the norm. I mean, sure, some of these books would sell for multiples of guide, but some books (like the 8.0 Four Color 223) sold for 3x+ GPA average...this is not normal; the last 8.0 FC 223 sold for just over $500 a few months ago (the Crippen went for over $1500!). I guess it's the Crippen pedigree?

Although I haven't conducted an analysis of the auction results, I don't believe the Crippen pedigree is having that much of an effect on the final prices. I believe prices simply had a lot more to do with what is hot and in demand right now, as opposed to what is not.

Just basing this on what I noticed during the live auction as a large number of lots did go for a substantial amount over guide. On the other hand, I also noticed a large number of non-high grade lots that also sold for a discount to guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW: This is the first Heritage auction that I placed some serious bids since I finally didn't have to worry about pressed books, resubmits, and all of the other silly stupid fiascos that 's been going on lately. thumbsup2.gif

Happy Rabbit 47 poke2.gif

Might want to look for some of those others.

link to auction

You had to check Christo_pull_hair.gif

gossip.gif I might soon receive a copy of Happy Rabbit # 47 and I found a copy of Sweethearts # 109 at Chicago.

I will keep on checking Heritage for books from the D / Crippen collection.

893whatthe.gif Nice pickup! (quite surprised though at the premium the book sold for)

that's because i am hard headed makepoint.gif and didnt mind bidding over my budget just to get that copy cloud9.gif will figure out someway to pay it...maybe someone here has a money lending business flowerred.gif

Another thing this shows you, yet again, is how far off the guide is on early Archie issues!

No kidding. Some of those books practically tripled in price via the last minute floor/phone bids.

893whatthe.gif Nice pickup! (quite surprised though at the premium the book sold for)

that's because i am hard headed makepoint.gif and didnt mind bidding over my budget just to get that copy cloud9.gif will figure out someway to pay it...maybe someone here has a money lending business flowerred.gif

Shark1.gif

Very excited to have won this book last night!! Paid well over guide, but I love the "EYE SEES" covers, and its an 8.0 (my highest graded book). Crippen, Schmippen... its a tough, cool book!!

still waiting on one more today ... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1348169-KDF%2318.jpg

589a91117e378_1348169-KDF18.jpg.cec498ac6d2f507de621adeb9c404912.jpg

Another thing this shows you, yet again, is how far off the guide is on early Archie issues!

No kidding. Some of those books practically tripled in price via the last minute floor/phone bids.

I was truly amazed at the Archie 12 7.0 going for $1300 893whatthe.gif

I really wanted the Laugh 20, but had to give up at 3X Guide. It finished at 4X.

I did at least pick up the Laugh 21 and 27 smile.gif

It will be cool to see what other Crippen Archie titles appear in the coming months...

High bidder on one book but its over $5K crazy.gif Will be surprised if it stays that way but if it does can someone say "fire sale".

did you get the book? the auction has already ended on some of the books. I won one grin.gif

Nope, looks like I was outbid at the last minute. Kind of relieved to be honest.

Great pick-up, Ryan! I'm working on a Silver Streak collection myself, almost done. It's a fun series and some of the books are real tough to find. Some great covers in the run. I'll start a thread on them once I get all the scans done.

If you ever need a Silver Streak #1, let me know.