• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So if I ask if its pressed...

87 posts in this topic

The Board demands Matt answer the question and tell us whether or not the book was worked on, and we demand the answer now (or at least within the next 12 minutes)

Not to be tooooo picky here, but he was asked about the book a week ago...

Oh, and it was him who came up with the 'you ask and I'll tell' approach in the first place, no? confused-smiley-013.gif

The Board demands Matt answer the question and tell us whether or not the book was worked on, and we demand the answer now (or at least within the next 12 minutes)

Not to be tooooo picky here, but he was asked about the book a week ago...

Oh, and it was him who came up with the 'you ask and I'll tell' approach in the first place, no? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok...I'll put these back in the box, but just for now! mad.gif

thumbscrew2.jpg

who give a [embarrassing lack of self control] if it's pressed.

it's not like adding peices and color touches.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I care if its [jeez yer an obnoxious arse] pressed because I care if its pressed. I want to know. It effects how I bid just like poor QP would. I don't care to rationalize tha. If you seek rationalization, do a forum search on "pressing" and pick any number of the other board members reasons for disliking the practice of selling pressed books without disclosing they are pressed.

Assume every book has been pressed and bid accordingly.

If that's the case then why collect if you don't want pressed comics in your collection? Has it gotten to a "too bad but you have to deal with it" scenario? If so...I don't have much faith this hobby will thrive... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I think he meant assume every Nelson book has been subjected to pressing and bid accordingly. If it doesn't bother you.....bid aggressively. If it does....then exercise restraint.

Since we've been told the percentage of collectors who care about pressing is microscopic....it shouldn't make a dent in sales proceeds.

I think he meant assume every Nelson book has been subjected to pressing and bid accordingly. If it doesn't bother you.....bid aggressively. If it does....then exercise restraint.

Since we've been told the percentage of collectors who care about pressing is microscopic....it shouldn't make a dent in sales proceeds.

I figured he was talking strictly about Nelson immediately after posting this...but I have also heard others say it about buying in general...

As far as Nelson goes...I'd be surprised if less than 90% of the CGC comics he sells are unpressed. With the skills he has, every comic is a candidate for pressing. It's human nature to try to make an item we sell look the best before offering it up...and if single pressing doesn't hurt a comic, as he claims, than what's the harm? And it may fix an error he may have missed upon prior inspection...

Jim

figured he was talking strictly about Nelson immediately after posting this...but I have also heard others say it about buying in general...

Here is what I meant. I suspect that there is only a slight chance of discovering that the book you are interested in was pressed. Without Heritage's archive the chance is almost nil that you will discover a pressed book. If that is the case then

how much you should bid is based on your fear of buying a pressed book and dicovering that fact at a later date. I suspect there is little chance you will ever find out and therefore if pressing can't be proved then:

How much should a pressed book which you have no knowledge was pressed that can't be detected be devalued?

If your fear is too great don't bid for the book. If you are not uncomforatble with pressed books then it's life as usual.