• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, SANDMAN art is HOT ! ! !

26 posts in this topic

Funny *you* should post this. I actually bought a *Preacher* page from this guy once. devil.gif

But yeah! It's funny he decided he wouldn't take less than $1200 for this rather than the $1000 it started out at!!

If anyone wants a nice Sandman Amano piece, check it out in my For Sale gallery and drop me a line. wink.gif

J

Sandman is such a significant series IMHO, but this was a case of fishing for the pieces value with an unobtainable reserve. It had the "game of you" line that elevated it from the <300-400 range, but as you said, no Morpheus.

The high unsuccessful (?) bidder got a couple of other pieces, and seems to want a few more smile.gif.

The 1200 page was just over valued, great page but 1200 was a bit rich, now the one offered on comicart-l for 1500+ was high, but at least it was genuinely significant.

That page was somewhat significant, but it was McManus and only featured "human" characters. I think $500 is a strong bid. The Sandman market seems to be bouncing back a bit from it's post-Jonathan depression grin.gif

For the record, I thought $1200 was nuts for that Kelly Jones page. Great art, but very little interesting content and no good characters.

That page was somewhat significant, but it was McManus and only featured "human" characters. I think $500 is a strong bid. The Sandman market seems to be bouncing back a bit from it's post-Jonathan depression grin.gif

For the record, I thought $1200 was nuts for that Kelly Jones page. Great art, but very little interesting content and no good characters.

I wasn't going to name anyone in particular, BUT, my perspective is it seems that some of the fervor for SANDMAN pages has cooled since one collector ceased grabbing every one available. It seems an "I better get one now before he gets them all in his collection and I'll never get one" sense of urgency hits when you know someone else is actively seeking what you want. Nothing like that sinking feeling you get in your gut when you go to look at a page on someones sight that you 'plan to get oneday' and you can't find it or see it sold.

I wasn't going to name anyone in particular, BUT, my perspective is it seems that some of the fervor for SANDMAN pages has cooled since one collector ceased grabbing every one available. It seems an "I better get one now before he gets them all in his collection and I'll never get one" sense of urgency hits when you know someone else is actively seeking what you want. Nothing like that sinking feeling you get in your gut when you go to look at a page on someones sight that you 'plan to get oneday' and you can't find it or see it sold.

Right. I'm certainly not trying to call anyone out. It's just a fact that the amount of quality Sandman material on the market in the past 8 months or so has been well higher than in the previous 2 years that I've been tracking the market.

I'm happy to take any discount I can get on Sandman pages, but it does seem to me that the market is picking back up at least a little bit. The page offered on the list should let us know where it really stands right now.

Call me out!! I'm right here!! wink.gifcool.gif

It's all been very interesting, because the "Sandman market" is like a microcosm of some of the larger "markets" -- so in a sense, we all got to see something of an experiment play out over the course of a single year. Where one guy can buy a lot of one type of art, push prices way up, sell a lot of said art, and return prices to at or below where they were before. (For the record, because of the overall curve, I'm actually a couple grand down, so let's not pretend I benefited from the high market prices.)

Some quality pieces were brought to the light of day because I went looking in some dark places for them, and then let them go to more deserving homes. BUT that said, it's still a market where many many pieces are still scattered to the winds. Aside from one major collector, it's soooo many people out there who have that one page squirreled away.

Also, throwing big money out there attracts sellers. They hear what things go for, and bring out their pages to get in on the action. (Only to be disappointed to find the landscape has changed.)

One thing I learned -- there are really only a few guys SERIOUS about collecting Sandman art in general. There are a lot of people interested in picking up that "one nice page" for their collection though, so quality material will always sell for nice prices. If you want a nice page, you're always going to have to pay for it.

J

PS Still love Sandman! Just got cheap in my second year in the hobby!! wink.gif

I wasn't going to name anyone in particular, BUT, my perspective is it seems that some of the fervor for SANDMAN pages has cooled since one collector ceased grabbing every one available.

PPS -- I definitely passed on more pages than I grabbed. wink.gif

In my opinion, the Sandman series was not consistently good. For me, it really dropped in the 20s. The Daniel / Endless stuff just did nothing for me. As far as the artwork goes, there are only a few artists in that series that I would want to have work from (Vess, Drigenberg/Jones, Zulli).

Some quality pieces were brought to the light of day because I went looking in some dark places for them, and then let them go to more deserving homes.

Well, I for one am glad you did. I don't have this posted in my CAF gallery, but here's my favorite remnant of the Jesusjon collection (oddly enough, it's not actually a Sandman page, per se):

Vess2.jpg

It's Vess/Dringenberg/Vess (layouts/finishes/paint) from the Gaiman Books of Magic mini-series (one of 2 Morpheus pages).