• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another PRESSING issue, Diamonds from Coal?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone that has seen some of the Superman movies or TV shows, even in comics, might have seen this. Superman takes a chunk of coal and compresses it with his super strength and makes a diamond from the coal.

My question... Is it a true diamond? Would it have any value?

they do make industrial diamonds from charcoal using heat and pressure these are the same though they are generally not pretty they are large and used for work purposes.

Then Superman should subsidize his income and start pressing coal. He 'd be richer then Lex. grin.gif

Diamonds are just arranged carbon molecules.

giant_1.gif

The black spheres are carbons.

Coal is also made of carbon (plus other elements like sulfur and hydrogen) so it *could* be made into diamond under heavy pressure. So could just about anything else that is rich in carbon. I think they use graphite for man-made diamonds as graphite has a much higher concentration of carbon than coal.

graphite.gif

Graphite has a trigonal planar shape which gets converted into a diamond's tetrahedral molecular shape.

giant_1.gif

Coal is also made of carbon (plus other elements like sulfur and hydrogen) so it *could* be made into diamond under heavy pressure. So could just about anything else that is rich in carbon. I think they use graphite for man-made diamonds as graphite has a much higher concentration of carbon than coal.

graphite.gif

Graphite has a trigonal planar shape which gets converted into a diamond's tetrahedral molecular shape.

Ladies and Gentlemen... THE FORUMITE AWARD WINNERS

last minute write-in = Super-geek: Psiknigh

893applaud-thumb.gif

giant_1.gif

graphite.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen... THE FORUMITE AWARD WINNERS

last minute write-in = Super-geek: Psiknigh

893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, I am the geekiest.

Just as a point of fact (although many will be dubious at this claim) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Diamonds, are in FACT...no where NEAR as "rare"(hmmm, like some comic books i guess?) as people THINK they are, and the industry TELLS/likes you to Believe they are.

They are at current, advertised value at about 50% higher, than actual market $$$...and have been for 40+ years 893whatthe.gif (yes, quite frankly, its a scam)

Add to that (My uncle is a jewler here in NYC) most "professionals" about 75% CANNOT...repeat CANNOT!!! tell the difference between a (vsi F) stone, and a well made CZ 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

Oh, that's true, and comes from MANY a jewler I know smirk.gif PATHETIC, but true. Folks, crime, and fraud abound, don't believe the hype makepoint.gif

sorry for that digression, now back to our regular programming popcorn.gif

Just as a point of fact (although many will be dubious at this claim) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Diamonds, are in FACT...no where NEAR as "rare"(hmmm, like some comic books i guess?) as people THINK they are, and the industry TELLS/likes you to Believe they are.

They are at current, advertised value at about 50% higher, than actual market $$$...and have been for 40+ years 893whatthe.gif (yes, quite frankly, its a scam)

Add to that (My uncle is a jewler here in NYC) most "professionals" about 75% CANNOT...repeat CANNOT!!! tell the difference between a (vsi F) stone, and a well made CZ 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

Oh, that's true, and comes from MANY a jewler I know smirk.gif PATHETIC, but true. Folks, crime, and fraud abound, don't believe the hype makepoint.gif

sorry for that digression, now back to our regular programming popcorn.gif

No offense, but a Cubic Zirconium and a Diamond are totally different. Any jeweler worth his salt should be able to tell the difference immediately. One, a diamond ranks as a 10 on the Moh's hardness scale. A CZ is about an 8, IIRC. I know diamonds reflect light differently. And diamonds are conductors of electricity while CZ is an insulator, again IIRC.

I could see it being more difficult to tell the difference between a man-made diamond and a naturally occuring diamond if both are cut. But a CZ and a diamond can be told apart, even by non-jewelers.

It's been my opinion for years that both gold and diamonds are a scam. Just consider the amount of both found in every department store and jewelry store in the nation.

I'm sure high quality diamonds are tougher to find, but clearly De Beers has control of that market, and has for decades. My grandparents have often told me that pre-WW2, no assumption was made that a wedding ring would include a diamond. Many other gemstones were very popular.

Through marketing, the diamond industry has successfully convinced the buying public that the love a groom has for his new bride is in direct proportion to the size of the diamond he buys her.

People can truly be sheep.

It's been my opinion for years that both gold and diamonds are a scam. Just consider the amount of both found in every department store and jewelry store in the nation.

I'm sure high quality diamonds are tougher to find, but clearly De Beers has control of that market, and has for decades. My grandparents have often told me that pre-WW2, no assumption was made that a wedding ring would include a diamond. Many other gemstones were very popular.

Through marketing, the diamond industry has successfully convinced the buying public that the love a groom has for his new bride is in direct proportion to the size of the diamond he buys her.

People can truly be sheep.

893applaud-thumb.gif