• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this still a hobby.............

14 posts in this topic

Well, I have been in the forums a little while now. And i have to thank you all for educating me in alot of things, and saving me from making "more" mistakes.

But as i read posts and responses, I wonder how many at this site are "collectors" and how many are "Investers". I've read posts saying the only way to collect is to buy whatever is hot in multiples, slab it and sell it before it cools off. That doesn't seem like a hobby....It seems like work.

I'm not talking about newbies "speculating" on whats gonna be hot next...I'm talking "in it for the money" and all your comics are for sale at a price.

I find myself in the "collector" stage, I don't think i would get rid of any of my books, I enjoy what i read and buy. I have even started purchasing TPB to avoid pulling out my originals.

So I was just wondering which was the majority around here, and why.

I'm strictly a collector. I don't have any CGC books and don't plan to buy any. I have speculated on a few books in the past (Shazam #1, Howard the Duck #1, couple others) but that didn't pan out so I don't worry about investment. I buy comics for the art (mostly) and story. smile.gif

I'm a collector as well. I have yet to sell a book on eBay, and have sold only a little of my collection since I started (17 yrs. ago). I have speculated on some books, both hits and misses, but almost always used the books as trade (laugh if you want, but New Mutants #100 got me lots of ASM's way back when!).

I buy new books for reading purposes. Most of the books I read are Vertigo books, so the "potential for investment" is fairly low. I also buy alot of trades.

My new love is original art. I began collecting this less than a year ago, but really enjoy this more than collecting comic books. It's much more challenging and frustrating, but the payoff is even better (I'm not speaking financially). In less than a year, I've accumulated a fairly nice collection ranging from book pages to paintings to sketches, and am about to aquire some more very shortly! smile.gif

Chris

I am a collector and I sometimes buy small collections so I can sell them on Ebay to fund the purchase of more books I want. I don't especially believe in CGC as anything other than a "guarantee" of grade (so to speak) from seller to buyer so if I see a book that is 8.5 or better raw than its good enough for my collection.

I'm a collector, just back in in January after dropping out in 1975. I'm still buying a variety of back issues to find what I like, and checking new titles off the rack. Marvel Knights is pulling me in. Sold three books on eBay after buying "lots" online and ending up with doubles. I'm having a blast with the reading and admiring the cover art.

I'm a collector. I have stuff in my collection, but am too lazy to sell. But I do enjoy trading. A fellow member is going to get together with me on Sunday. He's got stuff he's got to trade, and I've got stuff that I need. Gonna be a great time for both of us. No dealer is involved, so we both get 100% guide on everything. 27_laughing.gif

Gotta love it.

Hey, Jason, where are you????

I'm a collector/reader first and foremost, but am happy to fiddle around with investment/speculation from time to time. If I was forced to only do one thing, though, I'd stick with reading new product.

I thought of myself as primarily a collector, however I have found that since my return I have been consistently buying what I consider good reads as opposed to what is collectible. Even when I make the occasional foray into the back issue market I inevitably focus on buying what I always wanted to read as opposed to what may be considered an investment.

I have never sold anything on ebay but that will most likely change as I seem to be picking up doubles and unwanted comics. Honestly, the appeal of ebay as a way to generate income for other purchases is pretty powerful.

hobbes