• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman: which book?

25 posts in this topic

I've been reading some Batman TPB's lately and have been enjoying them a lot. I'm interested in picking one book to pull. What are forumites opinions on the best current Batman book? Which is the must-read (if there is one)?

Thanks

Hard to say since two new writers just took over both Batman and Detective comics. I enjoyed Paul Dini's story in Detective and have that one on my pull list, but IMO the jury's still out on Morrison's Batman. I thought he and Andy Kubert would be a can't miss combo, but their first attempt last month was quite mediocre at best.

I enjoyed Matt Wagner's Batman & the Monster Men mini series. I think he has another one coming out called Batman & the Mad Monk. I also thought that Paul Pope's Batman Year 100 wasn't a bad read. Neither were spectacular, but they were enjoyable.

I guess the way it looks right now, if I had to pick one Batman book, I'd pick Detective.

If I only had $3.00 a month to spend on just one comic book right now, it would be Daredevil. I know some might disagree after the last issue, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

I picked up both series for the new creative teams. Not overly impressed with either yet - Now if JH Williams were drawing the Morrison book - that I would love! I'll give them both a couple more issues, but much as I like Batman, it's hard to find a fresh take on the character - that's why I loved the Paul Pope book - definetly not a Batman I'd seen before.

I concur, Batman AND Detective are both very good. It's nice to see that Infinite Crisis did have some positive side effects, and that's that BOTH Batman and Superman comics are good reads again.

Shame about the majority of the remainder of the DCU line though. Most books are far worse off than they were pre-IC and OYL. Stopping everything dead in it's tracks and rebooting was actually kind of harmful to certain titles, and some of the creative team changes were forced and have already backfired and been dumped.

I concur, Batman AND Detective are both very good. It's nice to see that Infinite Crisis did have some positive side effects, and that's that BOTH Batman and Superman comics are good reads again.

Shame about the majority of the remainder of the DCU line though. Most books are far worse off than they were pre-IC and OYL. Stopping everything dead in it's tracks and rebooting was actually kind of harmful to certain titles, and some of the creative team changes were forced and have already backfired and been dumped.

Completely agree about the successful re-tooling of Superman & Batman. I'd add that the upcoming JLA relaunch looks to be a big improvement over that title's average quality over the last 5 years, and Wonder Woman has the potential to be very strong if the 2nd issue would ever come the [embarrassing lack of self control] out.

GL and (I'm expecting) JSA are pretty much same-ol same-ol post OYL.

On the negative side, the Flash relaunch is kind of lame. I don't read much else mainstream DC, but I've heard bad things about Nightwing OYL. DC may be fixing that by putting Marv Wolfman on the book for the next arc. What else is broken OYL?

I am not getting any of the current Batman titles. I just don't like the artists. I am getting Superman for the Pacheco art but stopped getting Superman Batman since McGuinness is gone. I am getting Justice League of America because Benes is a fav of mine. So I guess I will have to settle for my Batman fix from Justice League of America and All Star Batman. I have also been getting Green Arrow for the McDaniel art, Supergirl for the Churchill and Teen Titans for the Daniel art.

I am not getting any of the current Batman titles. I just don't like the artists. I am getting Superman for the Pacheco art but stopped getting Superman Batman since McGuinness is gone. I am getting Justice League of America because Benes is a fav of mine. So I guess I will have to settle for my Batman fix from Justice League of America and All Star Batman. I have also been getting Green Arrow for the McDaniel art, Supergirl for the Churchill and Teen Titans for the Daniel art.

I have been getting Batman every month since #608. I've enjoyed nearly every story. Although I dislike missing parts of some stories due to not buying Detective.

Both Bat Titles have been good (that said with 1 Morrison issue done, but hey...it is Morrison! So, it is a must!) The Dini books have fantastic, and will continue no doubt...

but the book everyone is missing in the Bat Family of books...

ROBIN!

Such a great book...has become a top 5 read each week it comes out!

Both Bat Titles have been good (that said with 1 Morrison issue done, but hey...it is Morrison! So, it is a must!) The Dini books have fantastic, and will continue no doubt...

but the book everyone is missing in the Bat Family of books...

ROBIN!

Such a great book...has become a top 5 read each week it comes out!

Really? I might have to check that out. I have heard bad things about Nightwing, so I never really paid much attention to Robin. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paul Dini is writing Detective and Grant [embarrassing lack of self control] Morrison is writing Batman. Buy them both flowerred.gif

Im piocking them both up. The recently completed crossover event was great and I only hope these books will be as good.

I have been getting Batman every month since #608. I've enjoyed nearly every story. Although I dislike missing parts of some stories due to not buying Detective.

I'm getting both since #600. I really like it. Not a rollercoaster like other titles. There are a lot of good issues and others that can be read, but no awful ones.

Detective is a lot better now than it was a year ago. I still enjoy the Batman title more but that is probably because it is my collecting focus. I do like Tec though.

Wasn't that City of Fear or whatever story going on last year? I hated that story. Stopped reading it after several issues, impatiently waiting for it to end. So... Detective now is MUCH better than it was last year.

IMHO, I agree it's a tad bit better than Batman right now, but the new creative team has only just started.