• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stocks vs. Comics

310 posts in this topic

I'm glad that you appreciate my honesty but I made my returns buying "raw", not CGC'd. Unfortunately most of the dealers price raw as if it was CGC'd which takes the fun out of the hunt. But I continue to buy raw and take my lumps from CGC just like some of you out there. But I do "win" every now and then and it goes back to the "knowledge" of what to buy and for how much. This has been a great thread.

Two great Wall Street movies - Wall Street and Boiler Room.

Not disagreeing with the GI Joe collectors out there, but personally, I'd rather have a Greg Horn cover. Anybody seen any for sale?

And...what do they go for?

Could be waaaayyyy out of my price range. grin.gif

If you're asking, they probably are. 27_laughing.gifwink.gif

I'll go out on a limb (again!) and say that there IS no original artwork. His work looks like Photoshop to me. BUT - -I may have missed a Wizard article on the Greg Horn phenomena!

Funny, you should talk to Gene about the Greg Horn Elektra covers - he seems to have a monopoly on those! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm glad that you appreciate my honesty but I made my returns buying "raw", not CGC'd. Unfortunately most of the dealers price raw as if it was CGC'd which takes the fun out of the hunt. But I continue to buy raw and take my lumps from CGC just like some of you out there. But I do "win" every now and then and it goes back to the "knowledge" of what to buy and for how much. This has been a great thread.

Two great Wall Street movies - Wall Street and Boiler Room.

Great comic book movie - Comic Book Villians! acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

I'll go out on a limb (again!) and say that there IS no original artwork. His work looks like Photoshop to me. BUT - -I may have missed a Wizard article on the Greg Horn phenomena!

For his original stuff there is, but you are correct on the current work. It's all digital for the painting, but I think he draws the originals and then scans then into a PC.

So there would be no original painting, but you could possibly buy the line-art in original form.

For his original stuff there is, but you are correct on the current work. It's all digital for the painting, but I think he draws the originals and then scans then into a PC.

So there would be no original painting, but you could possibly buy the line-art in original form.

Dude - he does the pencils and then does the rest digitally.

DAM

And this differs from what I said in which way.... ??

Hama ripped it from Steranko's 5 silent pages in Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #1. So no, it was not "ground breaking".

It's true that Joe #21 was an homage to the classic opening sequence in SHIELD #1, but it was groundbreaking in that the entire book was silent, not just the intro...without Joe #21, we would not have had the truly God-awful "'Nuff Said" month that Marvel did a couple of Decembers ago... insane.gif

Gene

Why is it the majority of the threads you post are ones in which you try to defend the stock market over the comic market.

Riiiiiiiight. Go back and look at my 1,600+ posts before you make an asinine comment like that. Do a search on "Stocks" in the CGC General forum over the past year. I have made 28 posts which mention "stocks" over the past year, of which 8 of those posts are part of this most recent thread. Hmmm, that's a less than 2% clip, hardly a "majority" of the threads I post on. Maybe you're just hyper-sensitive to this issue so that you can confuse a sub-2% occurrence rate with a majority, blinding you to the fact that I also post quite a lot on Modern comics, original art, the TPB-ization of the comics industry, comic movies, convention reports, etc. 893naughty-thumb.gif

As far as I'm concerned shove it up your [!@#%^&^]!! I buy comics for the sheer joy of it, since I was a kid.

Thank you for your typically incisive comment. sleeping.gif However, if you actually bothered to read my posts instead of getting your tighty-whities in a bunch, you would have noticed that I have said over and over and over ad nauseum that I have never advocated not buying comics for the sheer joy of it. I have criticized the practice of "investing" in comics in lieu of traditional investments, unrealistic expectations for future price appreciation and flat-out stupid prices paid for certain books, but I have never told anyone to stop collecting or not to buy what you can afford. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I would guess that a vast percentage of collectors do not purchase comics as investments. You are entitled to your opinion about the comic market, but don't come here and attempt to belittle us with your vast stock porfolio, because most of us here don't give a rat's [!@#%^&^] about it.

Well, the vast percentage may not, but a disproportionate amount here on the Boards (the "True Believers") do. I don't know if you are living in an insulated Bubble World or are just blind, but there are people who are speculating like crazy in the comic market and whose financial future depends on the continued upward trajectory of comic prices. I'm not going to name names, but I know people who have done everything from max out credit cards to go on 1-year payment plans in order to speculate in this market. Is it any wonder personal bankruptcies in the U.S. are at all time highs? You may not "give a rat's [!@#%^&^]", as you say, but I would rather not see a plethora of comic collectors add to that statistic. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for "belittling you with my vast stock portfolio", again, the initial post I made was clearly stated as both a joke and tongue.gif and was exaggerated for effect. Besides, it was wholly in response to the many "the crashists have been wrong and will continue to be wrong, comics rule!" posts that have been made lately. If you took offense to it, maybe you have your own insecurities to deal with. In any case, all I need to prove my points is cold, hard, unremitting logic...not cold, hard cash.

Gene

grow up Gene, let people handle their own business. They don't need you to tell them they might be foolish for unwise business decisions. It it makes you sleep better at night, then think what you want.

grow up Gene, let people handle their own business. They don't need you to tell them they might be foolish for unwise business decisions. It it makes you sleep better at night, then think what you want.

Great advice, coming from someone plying a website full of CGC comics. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Great advice, coming from someone plying a website full of CGC comics. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

No one is forcing you to buy JC. Then again I forgot you don't buy comics, you store them for some unknown reason.

The only one who needs to grow up here is you. While other people, including other dealers like Bob, have disagreed with me on this thread, at least they were able to do so in a civil manner instead of coming out with guns drawn and blazing and trying to put me down and shut me up. Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't say? Even people who don't always agree with me at least appreciate the points I raise and the debate that ensues (JLA_all_the_way recently made a post to this effect).

And, gee, why am I not surprised to see that you retail comics online? Under the banner "Moo Cow Comics" no less? Is that how you view people, as mindless cows who follow the herd, buying X-Men #187 CGC 9.4s off your site for $80? No wonder you'd rather see people continuing to "invest" away in comics.

Gene

No one is forcing you to buy JC. Then again I forgot you don't buy comics, you store them for some unknown reason.

Hey, no fair. I took out my Simonson Thor's this week and read them through.

These conversations just remind me of walking into a comic store in 1991. Whatever the owner had stacks of was a "sure fire investment" and what he didn't "wasn't worth your time".

And this differs from what I said in which way.... ??

JC - you said: "but I think he draws the originals and then scans then into a PC."

I elaborated by saying: "he does the pencils"

Most original art that people buy are the finished penciled and inked piece - get it? thumbsup2.gif

DAM

I am just tired of hearing you rant and rave about the market this and that, blah blah, blah. I never commented on your posts in the past, because I didn't feel it was worth commenting. It really isn't worth commenting now, but I just had to say something. Yes it is my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

Yes I sell comics on the web, how original. Maybe I should charge what Ideal or MH does. Would that make more sense to you. Yes the cost is over guide for the books. I'm surprised you don't understand the reasoning behind that.

Hey, no fair. I took out my Simonson Thor's this week and read them through.

These conversations just remind me of walking into a comic store in 1991. Whatever the owner had stacks of was a "sure fire investment" and what he didn't "wasn't worth your time".

Did you read the one where he was turned into a Frog? Classic plot! thumbsup2.gif