• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stocks vs. Comics

310 posts in this topic

Most original art that people buy are the finished penciled and inked piece - get it? thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, I always thought that "drawn" "line art" denoted pencils, but I guess I'm lower on the anal-scale. grin.gif

Would that make you hyper-anal... blush.gif

Most original art that people buy are the finished penciled and inked piece - get it? thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, I always thought that "drawn" "line art" denoted pencils, but I guess I'm lower on the anal-scale. grin.gif

flowerred.gif

This is all very interesting rolleyes_2.gif, BUT:

1) The number of people that have made/lost money in the stock market dwarfs the number of people that have made/lost money in the comic market b/c (among other reasons) the total $-volume of comic book sales in a year is probably what is bought/sold on the NYSE in an hour, a day?? We all know that a great many fortunes, retirement saving, college funds, etc.,. have been lost on Wall Street.

2) After reading the initial thread (posts prior to yesterday), I didn't see anyone really saying that comics were better investments than stocks? Most responders didn't think they were better investments to begin with, and the fact that the stock market has done well does not have any bearing on the presence/absence of a "crash" in the comic book market (although I notice Joe dropped his "the great comic book crash of 2004 is coming" sig line yesterday - why's that?). Both are doing well recently!

3) news.gifThe comic book market crashed ! It's true - the post-1975 CGC 9.4 and up comic book market crashed last year. Since then however, prices have remained relatively stable.

4) It's silly for someone (ok, Gene) to say "It's okay for me to spend $xx,xxx on a collectible I don't view as an investment b/c of all the money I made in the stock market", yet disparage the next guy over (ok, TB) saying the exact same thing? Likewise, it doesn't make much sense to say that someone (ok, Bob) isn't investing in comics when they buy at wholesale and sell at retail, when the average comic book collector/investor (ok, anyone on the board) can do the exact same these days thanks to the 'net and ebay. Unlike stocks, a knowledgable collector/investor can find undervalued comic books and quickly flip them on ebay for a fat profit. You can't do this in stocks!

I don't anticipate the gains of 2000-2002 anytime soon (which were mostly made buying NM raw, selling CGC NM and better), but I doubt we'll see any type of crash in any genre of books like what we saw in 2002 with the post-1975 CGC 9.4 and up market. So if you were buying CGC 9.4 and up post-1975 books in 2000-2002, you've taken your lumps...but if you're still buying those books now at today's deflated prices, I'd say you're taking advantage of the long-held economic theory of dollar-cost-averaging to bring your unit costs down!!

although I notice Joe dropped his "the great comic book crash of 2004 is coming" sig line yesterday - why's that?

Because, unlike you and your cohorts (as evidenced by my mass-hijacked Marketplace thread), I'm at least trying to make this a more congenial atmosphere for everyone.

although I notice Joe dropped his "the great comic book crash of 2004 is coming" sig line yesterday - why's that?

Because, unlike you and your cohorts (as evidenced by my mass-hijacked Marketplace thread), I'm at least trying to make this a more congenial atmosphere for everyone.

Thanks, but there was no mass-hijacking of your marketplace thread. Likewise, my post above is my $0.02, and we can agree to disagree...

Yes you are and your effort has not gone unnoticed. Again, what kind of meds do they have you on, anyway???

Thanks, but there was no mass-hijacking of your marketplace thread.

Okay, so why was everyone posting nonsense, insults and one noted slam against my family? I received ABSOLUTELY NO OFFERS from any of the dweebs who responded to the thread, so what would you call that?

I could post my grocery list and you and your band of merry men would be all over it, as you can't seem to resist stalking me.

Alright...I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here:

1) I own some stocks but I am far from a stock wizard. They sit there and all I do is watch there upward/downward progress about twice a month. The limited funds I do have I don't wish to invest in stock since I have a limited understanding of the market.

2) I own a buncha comics and am far more knowledgable in this area than the stock market. I purchase books every week and thoroughly enjoy this hobby.

Now to the nitty-gritty. As far as money goes...I am a saver. I would rather save my money in some type of safe account that earns some type of respectable interest. However nowadays a savings account is earning so little that I may as well be putting my money in my mattress. So what to do?!?!?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I buy more comics.

I am very picky about what I buy. Sometimes I may make a poor purchase but on a whole the books that I do buy will at the very least retain the value of the amount I invested in them. But, to be totally honest here, the majority of the books that I buy now I truly expect to be able to sell (if need be) at a minimum of a 10% rate of return. To me that is the same as a respectable savings account.

I may not get rich but I fully expect a respectable return on my investment when the time does come to finally liquidate my collection. Heck, I bought tons of books at cover price in the '70's and I believe the return at is point would definatly be above 10% .

That's me....I do what I do and I feel confidant doing it... thumbsup2.gif

Okay, so why was everyone posting nonsense, insults and one noted slam against my family? I received ABSOLUTELY NO OFFERS from any of the dweebs who responded to the thread, so what would you call that?

Dude, I asked you if you had any 35-cent Hulks and you didn't even respond. Not to mention you gave those posts "One last bump..." less than 2 hours after posting them in the first place.

Sorry, but if you think you're going to be bombarded with offers within 2 hours for books with no grades, no prices, posted at 9 a.m. on a weekday, than you need some serious marketing tips from gman...

Dude, I asked you if you had any 35-cent Hulks and you didn't even respond. Not to mention you gave those posts "One last bump..." less than 2 hours after posting them in the first place.

Alas, my ability to take heaps of abuse has decreased of late, as I really don't need the stress. I saw the downward trend of hijacking progressing through its usual course and decided to end the thread early.

You already know I have no Hulk 35-centers (assuming your memory isn't failing) from past inquiries and PMs, so let's not play that card shall we.

You seem to think it's your God-given duty to determine which posts exist for their intended purpose, and which ones you gleefully hijack, and then the party's on.

Hint: Comics are fiction, you're not saving the world, I'm not looking to take it over, and none of us have super powers.

It's amusing that I take a day off, and you miscreants need to find another Super Villain to harass. Voila, a host of Hammer photos appear, and he's the new target of the day. A psychiatrist could have a field day on here.

Thanks, but there was no mass-hijacking of your marketplace thread.

You are sad. The view of reality you have is so skewed it's no surprise that you're a social pariah.

nice post Banner.

I especially liked one of the paragraphs (ok number 4) where you alluded to posters' arguments here in a humorous way.

Maybe you could write some dialogue for that GIJoe book that doesnt have nay...

ok..kidding!

So lets sum up: buying raw HG book slong ago - - - GOOD INVESTMENT.

Buying CGC slabbed books at todays hyped-up sky-high market prices- - - BAD INVESTMENT

Buying Post-1975 HG slabbed books - - - STUPID INVESTMENT

gee - - thats what I've been saying since I got here.

except for the GIJoe bashing...thats new. blush.gifblush.gif

You are sad.

I'm sad? I list a few books for sale, and you needledicks proceed to hijack it into oblivion?

Take a look in the mirror, that is if you can stand the sight.

I didn't post in your thread until after you had your hissy fit and pulled the books. The thread hijacking took place after you took your toys home. Get your facts in order and shove your revisionist history up your ear. 893naughty-thumb.gif

If there were ever a more pathetic human being on the face of this planet then you I'd be surprised.

I am very picky about what I buy. Sometimes I may make a poor purchase but on a whole the books that I do buy will at the very least retain the value of the amount I invested in them. But, to be totally honest here, the majority of the books that I buy now I truly expect to be able to sell (if need be) at a minimum of a 10% rate of return. To me that is the same as a respectable savings account.

Dude, straight up, 10% (especially inflation adjustsed) for a SAVINGS account is absolutely incredible!!! I would literally put 100% of my assets into something like that if i could get a guaranteed FDIC insured savings account for inflation + 10% (even inflation +8%).

DAM

If there were ever a more pathetic human being on the face of this planet then you I'd be surprised.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll remember that if you ever start a Marketplace thread, and will be sure to hijack it constantly, in order to be as "unpathetic" as you stalking trolls.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll remember that if you ever start a Marketplace thread, and will be sure to hijack it constantly, in order to be as "unpathetic" as you stalking trolls.

Keep dancing around the facts Joe. I'll post the facts one more time so you can dance around them some more.

I didn't post in your thread until after you had your hissy fit and pulled the books. The thread hijacking took place after you took your toys home.

You know why you dance around the facts Joe? Because when presented with them you are exposed as a pathological lier who is constitutionally incapable of being honest with your self or others.

Yeah, I know you trolls must have been mighty ticked, when just as your insults and hijacking was building up, I yanked the books.

Did that make you angry? Were you pissed?

Everyone knew where this thread was going, and your "we didn't really start hijacking until you pulled the books" is laughable, and I know you bozos were scratching your cranially-challenged skulls, just looking for more insults to fling.

"Oh come on JC, we were just getting started! Please come back and take more abuse from us trolls!!"

Unfortunately, I refused to play the game, and yanked the books. And you're royally ticked, and I'm so very glad. grin.gif