• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stocks vs. Comics

310 posts in this topic

No - he is an Ivy leaguer from NYC and that being the situation, all else is irrelevant. The next time that you dare respond to a thread from one of the NYC know it alls, make sure you show the proper respect or you shall be severely chastised.

Great generalization from the only "lawyer" I know who can't throw together $2K for a book in three months time and who has continually been proven wrong about his knowledge (read: lack thereof) of the law.

How's that for a specific issue rather than your generalized NYC ivy leaguer comment? (being one myself)

DAM

Pretty good I guess - you unquestionably prove most steroetypes about people like you correct. So thanks. Keep enlightening me please. Hopefully your mommy and daddy didn't waste all that money so please really impress us with some big time stuff. And as for money, please have pity on me, I am just a poor inbred southern boy with only his wits to rely on. I know i can't compete financially, culturally or mentally with you NYC wippets so I just have to rely on all the wisdom you bestow upon us. Please continue.

No - he is an Ivy leaguer from NYC and that being the situation, all else is irrelevant. The next time that you dare respond to a thread from one of the NYC know it alls, make sure you show the proper respect or you shall be severely chastised.

Great generalization from the only "lawyer" I know who can't throw together $2K for a book in three months time and who has continually been proven wrong about his knowledge (read: lack thereof) of the law.

How's that for a specific issue rather than your generalized NYC ivy leaguer comment? (being one myself)

DAM

Damn NY ivy leaguers. stooges.gif

I think a diverse portfolio is a good idea. Most of the large gains in older comics were realized by people/dealers who owned the books then had them graded and sold em and by people who got in on the cgc market early. Besides hitting shops and having a good eye for high grade issues i think investing in moderns atleast post 1990 is a dead end road. However, many bronze and silvers may have a small gain but i think the big upward slid is mainly over for many high end books like hulk 181 etc. You see pgc mint sold flash 105 for like what 75k then whoever bought it or either they bought it back didnt sell for 90 and now its back to them. Lower grades are a good way to make a small return, with so many eyes on 9.8s many of the best deals are 9.4,9.6 issues like amaz 301 compared with the 9.8 but i doubt their resell value will warrant holding on to them for the next 10 years. Find out whats hot, get in, sell, and get out. Dont be the guy who paid 1k for Spawn #1 or 19k for hulk 181. Be the guy who sold the issue and got that much money b/c someone was willing to buy it. Hit books that dont trade often on ebay. I know for myself im always looking to fill gaps in my spidey and GI Joe collections. However, dealers have to judge the demand for those issues to warrant sending them in. If im the only one who wants em, probably not gonna get graded for some years down the road. Thats where dealers like RJ comics are good. Or you can be like hitman1099, get em, hold on to em, put a high price tag on em and see if they sell. Eventually, if someone wants em enough, and he has it, they'll pay. Look at ebay. A good time to sell is before and after movies come out. Look at hulk, daredevil, spidey. Now many dealers can hardly give away a non-key daredevil graded. Perhaps staying with titles that hold their value better than others. Overall, Amaz Spider-man as oppossed to his other titles realizes a better return much like Uncanny X-men does over X-men (vol 2). Look for obscure titles that introduce upcoming characters like X-statix or NYX whether you like em or not, if value is your only interest. Variant covers seem to be a dead end unless they are something like Wolverinw 145 nabisco variant which 9.8 is the hard to get one. Daredevil resketch signed covers and the like. Look out for Batman rrp though, i bet 10 more 9.8s will pop up on census by end of next year. Many modern DC's dont seem to hold their value for now but they are really trying and have great stories. Keep an eye on the up and coming artists on those titles. Their work may be something of interest later on but you'll have to get right when they become valuable b/c everyone and their mother will send in their copy to cgc and you'll have another wolverine limtied series scenario or Amazin 30 on your hands. In that case, hope you get a 9.9 or 10.0 and be the first one to get one and sell it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But investing in books for money is hard and not very fun in my opinion. I think you should keep a diverse portfolio but make it fun. Buy the ones you like first then do some investigation. There are many broke comic investors left over from two or even a year ago. I know a guy user name DANTEN311 (unregistered) who i followed his buys for 6 mos and he spend 20k in one month on now worthless [!@#%^&^]. I bet his overall books value doesnt top 5k now. Beware any comic with Rare and hard to find in the description.

Pretty good I guess - you unquestionably prove most steroetypes about people like you correct. So thanks. Keep enlightening me please. Hopefully your mommy and daddy didn't waste all that money so please really impress us with some big time stuff. And as for money, please have pity on me, I am just a poor inbred southern boy with only his wits to rely on. I know i can't compete financially, culturally or mentally with you NYC wippets so I just have to rely on all the wisdom you bestow upon us. Please continue.

Clobbertime - I have no need to continue as it now seems obvious that you know your place (however low it may be) on the totem pole of life.

i think investing in moderns at least post 1990 is a dead end road.

Look for obscure titles that introduce upcoming characters like X-statix or NYX whether you like em or not, if value is your only interest.

My head hurts 893frustrated.gif

Havok: I don't think that comment was directed at you blush.gif

As for myself, I have a very diversified portfolio:

38% Superhero

26% Funny Animal

19% Teen Humor

11% Horror/Suspense/Monster

7% War

5% Sci-Fi

3% Romance

1% Western

There is ONE Mona Lisa and usually only ONE original of any specific painting by an artist. Add to the fact that Da Vinci lived what 400-500 years ago?

Finally, the 'perceived' value and historical significance of a Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, etc., completely DWARFS that of ANY comic book in existence.

Please note that the above is ONLY MHO and should not be taken as gospel. wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Actually.. there's lots of lithographs and canvas "reprints" running around of several famous alive artists. Take Thomas Kinkade for example, you can't get a canvas lithograph of his for less than between 2,000-4,000 dollars. And these are "mass" (as far as art is concerned) produced items.

Brian

On the note about the early coin market in the 90's... I was unaware that this genre was tried before. I will INDEED open some history books and investigate.

Here's what happened the last time Wall Street pushed collectibles as investments. Look at the breathtaking parabolic rise in coin prices in 1989, fueled by buying from limited partnerships formed by both Merrill Lynch, Kidder Peabody and Shearson Lehman Hutton...and the inevitable crash that followed.

If people think that buying and holding high grade comics at 10x, 20x, even 100x and 200x 1990 prices is a smart investment strategy, please be my guest. The sober among us should study the graph below and consider whether "it's different this time" or whether greed and human folly apply to the comics market as they have to every other market in recorded history. confused-smiley-013.gif

329516-Coin%20Market%20Crash.JPG

589a8af2255ca_329516-CoinMarketCrash.JPG.036195f783908c8044997fede7a44964.JPG

But Gene - you can't READ a tulip bulb !!

This comment brought up something I remember seeing in an OS market report, possibly from Keith C.

To paraphrase, it essentially stated that each and every "market crash" occured when buyers purchased comics at rapidly escalating prices, and then stored them unread.

This seems to refer to previous boom/bust periods with new issues, but if you think about it, this CGC phenomenon fits as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As I think I've say before, a Crash will happen but on what, when and how bad is the question.

I'd start by worrying about Modern 9.9's and 9.8's ASM 129, (Lots of Spideys in general),Hulk 181, FF 48, Defenders 1, MS 2, 5 and IF14. Even DC's like Kirby New Gods Stuff and Swamp Thing

As I think I've say before, a Crash will happen but on what, when and how bad is the question.

I'd start by worrying about Modern 9.9's and 9.8's ASM 129, (Lots of Spideys in general),Hulk 181, FF 48, Defenders 1, MS 2, 5 and IF14. Even DC's like Kirby New Gods Stuff and Swamp Thing

Scott,

this stuff is allready dead in the water......although, I love FF 48 ! - even if there are alot of them !

Hama ripped it from Steranko's 5 silent pages in Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #1. So no, it was not "ground breaking".

It's true that Joe #21 was an homage to the classic opening sequence in SHIELD #1, but it was groundbreaking in that the entire book was silent, not just the intro...without Joe #21, we would not have had the truly God-awful "'Nuff Said" month that Marvel did a couple of Decembers ago... insane.gif

Gene

Any idea as to who owns the originals to Steranko's 5 silent pages or is it still in the hands of Steranko? That would probably be a better investment from an artistic and maybe fianancial point of view depending on the price which the buyer would have to pay.