• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Comics scarcity question

43 posts in this topic

Hi, All,

I need advice. I bought a Flash Comics recently, which I should receive soon. I'm thinking ahead to the next Flash I buy. Which ones are harder to find, early issues or the later issues? Also, where can I buy one of the Gerber guides that lists scarcity? Are there other books that tell you the scarcity of issues?

Thanks.

Scott

Also, where can I buy one of the Gerber guides that lists scarcity? Are there other books that tell you the scarcity of issues?

I believe the best and easiest place to buy the Gerbers is from Bud Plant or you can wait for a set on eBay. I don't know of any other publication that would give you an attempt at charting scarcity for all books but I'm sure there's a fanzine or website somewhere that looked at this question somewhere; the problem is finding it!

The CGC census is a good start. Not perfect but a reasonable proxy. I think in general this is pretty standard for all DC Golden Age.

#1 issue is pretty common w huge demand

Single digits are pretty scarce especially #2 with very high demand.

issues 10 through WWII are pretty common with later issues more common than than earlier as well as less demand.

1946 on up are less common with the 1950's very uncommon and the last few issues downrite scarce. Fairly low demand though except those final issues.

For Flash there aren't too many one offs that are outright scarce but I think the hardest to find in any reasonable condition and price are 2-7 and the last few issues in the 100's.

Ed

The CGC census is a good start. Not perfect but a reasonable proxy. I think in general this is pretty standard for all DC Golden Age.

foreheadslap.gif and check the Census as well! Of course. Can't believe I didn't think of it.

There may also have been A CBM article on the relative scarcity of Flash Comics.

I recall that also. Don't know which issue it was in, though.

If it's after issue # 22 I should be able to find it later today. I'll come back to post if I find it.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I know I've been told that issue 37 is as common as any others around it, but I haven't found it available in any condition anywhere. I do have my eye on a few other issues I found. If only money did grow on trees! grin.gif

I bet there are more copies than Gerber projected. Census shows 14 copies but it is hard to say how many of those are resubmits. Lots of high grade numbers in the lot. Here is my San Fransico copy.

Flash56SanFrancisco.jpg ]

Looks like gorgeous colors on that copy! 893whatthe.gif

There may also have been A CBM article on the relative scarcity of Flash Comics.

There was but I don't own that issue. Here are the index:

"Scarcity of Golden Age DC : An Objective Data Set

(installment 1)" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 26-27 in

Comic Book Marketplace, no. 11 (Mar. 1992). -- Estimates

the rarity of issues 40-102 of Adventure Comics. -- Call

no.: PN6714.C632no.11

-----------------------------------------------------

(installment 2)" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 28-29 in

Comic Book Marketplace, no. 12 (Apr. 1992). -- Covers Flash

Comics, no. 1-104 -- Call no.: PN6714.C632no.12

(installment 3)" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 32-33 in

Comic Book Marketplace, no. 13 (May 1992). -- Covers Green

Lantern (1941-1949). -- Call no.: PN6714.C632no.13

"Scarcity of Golden Age DCs: An Objective Data Set : More Fun

52-107" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 50-51 in Comic Book

Marketplace, no. 14 (June 1992). -- Call no.:

PN6714.C632no.14

There was but I don't own that issue. Here are the index:

(installment 2)" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 28-29 in

Comic Book Marketplace, no. 12 (Apr. 1992). -- Covers Flash

Comics, no. 1-104 -- Call no.: PN6714.C632no.12

(installment 3)" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 32-33 in

Comic Book Marketplace, no. 13 (May 1992). -- Covers Green

Lantern (1941-1949). -- Call no.: PN6714.C632no.13

"Scarcity of Golden Age DCs: An Objective Data Set : More Fun

52-107" / by Patrick M. Kochanek. p. 50-51 in Comic Book

Marketplace, no. 14 (June 1992). -- Call no.:

PN6714.C632no.14

Yes, totally missed the really early issues of CBM which had lots of these wonderful articles inside. Still remembered the issue with the first 1,000 comic books of all time.

Don't believe that Obadiah Oldbuck was anywhere to be seen on that list though. 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

#1 issue is pretty common w huge demand

Single digits are pretty scarce especially #2 with very high demand.

issues 10 through WWII are pretty common with later issues more common than than earlier as well as less demand.

1946 on up are less common with the 1950's very uncommon and the last few issues downrite scarce. Fairly low demand though except those final issues.

For Flash there aren't too many one offs that are outright scarce but I think the hardest to find in any reasonable condition and price are 2-7 and the last few issues in the 100's.

Ed

Brilliantly put Ed. You are right on the money with your assessment. Having tried to complete the run myself, the issues you described as being tough are tough. It usually comes down to buying them when they do surface and not being overly fussy about the grade. It might be a long wait for the book to come around again.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I bet there are more copies than Gerber projected. Census shows 14 copies but it is hard to say how many of those are resubmits. Lots of high grade numbers in the lot. Here is my San Fransico copy.

Flash56SanFrancisco.jpg ]

Looks like gorgeous colors on that copy! 893whatthe.gif

It's a beauty! thumbsup2.gif

One of my favorite issues - and not just because it has a spotlight article on me.

flowerred.gif