• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going comic shopping...

44 posts in this topic

Have I got a story to tell.................. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The collection consists of.....

The equivalent of 16 long boxes of SA with a smattering of GA in it, recently bagged and boarded. (3,000-4,000 estimated comics)....decent enough comics with many DC, but nothing really too key. Nothing like the last collection I purchased with all the SA keys...but still a decent group of books. The kind you might see at a con in blow out at $3 each and they'd be flying. Overstreet guide on many of these books is likely $5-$50. TOS, TTA, WWT, OOAW, ST, FF, and all kinds of DC with lots of Superman titles. Heck, 4,000 +/- books, there were lots of things. 893whatthe.gif

The remainding 40+/- long boxes are truly bulk books, with all kinds of misc. junk with multiple copies of some and (10,000-12,000 estimated comics) of which I wouldn't really want at 10 cents each. Although, there are some decent titles, there is nothing highly collectible in the bunch. I'm calling 1980-1990 Xmen non key, Web of Spiderman, Action, Daredevil etc. the junk here. Lower and mid grade books that you might see in a dealers quarter bin, but some high grade, that are just not that sought out. I did find two copies of Ms. Marvel 18 in NM in this stuff. sleeping.gif

So, the initial 25% I saw was the creme and the remainder was not something I'd even want.

The funny part about the 75% of this collection, is that as I was going through the boxes, it smacked of old store stock that someone would want to blow out and get rid of. When I graduated from college back in the late 80's, I bought my first house. I met another collector and he rented from me for a few years. In that time frame, he had about 100,000 comics and was buying everything and anything he could get his hands on. He was buying bulk comics from one of the LCS's for something like 5 cents each, and selling them for anything from 10 cents to 15 cents each in bulk. While I was going through this 75%, I saw a 1/2 box with his name on the top.......and my phone number (which is still my number as I had it transferred to the new house)........

75% of the books had been purchased from the collector in Anchorge, and they had been moved down to California by the father and then back up to Anchorage by the Son along with the better silver age books from this "collection".

So......some of these comics were likely stored in my first house in the garage.......back around 1990-1992.

Anyway.....in a nut-shell, I'll probabaly buy the whole collection, and then take the 12,000 comics to a local auction house and let them fly for anywhere between $25-$200 per box, depending on how idiotic the bidders are. The remainders, I'll go through more carefully and see if there are any worthy of board sales and then off to ebay in lots. Maybe a few will even end up in my collection.

What do you think I should pay for a "collection of this type and size". I have an initial price that they were offered to me at, and it's fairly reasonable, but.........there will be a lot of effort involved. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yea.....I did pick up the Superman #2.......... yay.gifyay.gif