• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turtles, anyone?

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Here's a nice little piece of 80s art that I picked up. This is the ad piece that ran in 1985 promoting the upcoming 4th issue of TMNT. A nice little example of Eastman/Laird collaboration early in their career with the Turtles.

Not sure where this was published, but probably either in CBG or as a pin-up in issue #3 (anyone have issue #3 available to check?).

turtlespin.jpg

Nice! I'd love to get my hands on an early TMNT piece - but I know they are few and far between and I can't afford one. So I'll just make do looking at the scans!

Yeah, I rarely see any vintage stuff anymore, so I try to pick them up when they come my way. Glad you like it!

Hari,

Nice pickup. It must bring you back to being a teenager everytime you look at it.

Congrats,

Chris

I looked, it was not featured in issue 3. I also checked issue 1 and 2 didn't see it.

thanks! must be in CBG or somewhere else as an ad.

one thing nice is that it's on 11X17, as opposed to the smaller art they were using early on (like on my TMNT #3 cover). so the image of the turtles is quite large on it.

eastman comes to the nyc cons from time to time; i'll have to ask him when i see him next.

I looked, it was not featured in issue 3. I also checked issue 1 and 2 didn't see it.

one thing nice is that it's on 11X17, as opposed to the smaller art they were using early on (like on my TMNT #3 cover). so the image of the turtles is quite large on it.

eastman comes to the nyc cons from time to time; i'll have to ask him when i see him next.

Hey Hari,

I'm almost certain it was a CBG ad. Its certainly an amazing piece - I want it! smile.gif

Hari, how big is the cover to #3?

Haven't actually measured it, but I'd say about 9 X 15. Sort of an odd size, and it's not on comic art board. Remember, these 'kids' were doing this low-budget and just fooling around. 9 X 15 doesn't sound too small, but you have to take into account it's a wraparound cover.

Hey Hari,

I'm almost certain it was a CBG ad. Its certainly an amazing piece - I want it! smile.gif

Hi Keith,

Thanks! I remember the ad from my youth, and I used to get CBG, so I too think that's where it's from. And, yeah, I knew you'd like it somehow wink.gif

I think it might have been Gobbledygook (the 2nd version obviously)? But that is off the top of my head...

I had seen this piece listed for sale before - and I seem to remember this being in the description?

I think it might have been Gobbledygook (the 2nd version obviously)? But that is off the top of my head...

Off the top of my head also... I would tend to think that's incorrect. I believe gobbledygook (2nd version) came out between #4 and #5 so it wouldn't make sense for the ad to be for #4.... I do recall an ad in gobbledygook but would suggest it's probably for issue #5.

Off the top of my head also... I would tend to think that's incorrect. I believe gobbledygook (2nd version) came out between #4 and #5 so it wouldn't make sense for the ad to be for #4.... I do recall an ad in gobbledygook but would suggest it's probably for issue #5.

anyone have a copy of gobbledygook handy?