• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 3,000 Golden Age Collection/Pedigree Revealed in CBG

226 posts in this topic

Who called it a "pedigree"? Great collection to be sure, but I wouldn't call it a pedigree.

Collectigree? poke2.gif

The buyer said that none had been graded yet and had plans to meet with Steve Borock and Mark Haspel "the first chance I get to discuss a possible pedigree"

Who called it a "pedigree"? Great collection to be sure, but I wouldn't call it a pedigree.

Collectigree? poke2.gif

The buyer said that none had been graded yet and had plans to meet with Steve Borock and Mark Haspel "the first chance I get to discuss a possible pedigree"

I only wish the best for the buyer. Really nice guy. And really nice collection. But as far as I am concerned, not a pedigree. Grade quality is just not there. Not enough key issues, IMHO, to make up for the lower grades. Certainly the size of the collection is fantastic, but frankly I believe there are a sizable number of these types of collections that have not come to light yet. The next 10-15 years will tell us.

I just hope that CGC doesn't only see the $$$$$$ when considering slabbing these books and style them a pedigree.

I wouldn't even recommend slabbing the vast majority of the books. Not financially worth it in grading fees.

What other titles were in the collection? Any large runs of other noteworthy titles such as Detective, Action, Adventure etc etc etc?

Unfortunately not. The only superhero runs I recall were Superman, Batman and Captain Marvel Adventures. A decent early set of Superboys as well. The other runs were of ECs.

What other titles were in the collection? Any large runs of other noteworthy titles such as Detective, Action, Adventure etc etc etc?

Unfortunately not. The only superhero runs I recall were Superman, Batman and Captain Marvel Adventures. A decent early set of Superboys as well. The other runs were of ECs.

See, you guys are missing out on one of the funnest superhero runs of the Golden Age. But I digress, since I am biased. Sounds like someone, who was a completionist for the the titles they liked. They were willing to have lower grade books to make their runs. A true collector, in my opinion.

Mark,

I awoke this morning to the news that an article about the 3,000 Golden Age Comic collection my wife and I bought bought had appeared in the Comics Buyer Guide. Julie and I were THRILLED to say the least. Later in the day, a fellow from Germany sent me the negative postings you have made on the CGC boards. We were extremely disappointed. It Sounds like sour grapes more than anything else to me as far as what YOU think about the condition of the comics.The fact that the Superman and Batman from #50 on appear to be unread high end copies as well as hundreds of other Golden and early Silver Age Comics, is a newsworthy event.

You seem to be going out of your way to downgrade the collection. I can't understand why as I've always been very nice to you. Like the guy said, "you can't walk in and offer peanuts and expect to get the books." Frankly, the fellows who were handling the collection were insulted by your offer. So do me a favor and like my Grandmother used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about something, don't say ANYTHING at all." I'd appreciate if you'd remember that from now on.

Whether CGC makes it a pedigree or not is no big deal. It's not everyday that 3,000 Golden Age Comics surface from an original owner. That my friend IS news. My wife and I bought the comics because we LIKED them. Secondly (or is it thirdly) they are not all for resale as the article states. Everything in life is not for sale. So, do me a favor and quit with the naysaying. I'd appreciate it.

Jack

So far, everyone who bought from Julie has been very pleased with the comics they got. And quite a few of them were dealers.

Just saw the Market Report in the latest CBG. The feature was on a 3,000 original owner golden age comics collection recently purchased by a collector for resale. CGC, Heritage, and Pedigree Comics were all mentioned as being consulted about the purchase of the collection. Sounded like quite a few significant issues in very high grade, the story said the collector spent his life's savings to buy it! 893whatthe.gif

So is this news already out and I'm just the last to know, or is CBG breaking the story?

confused-smiley-013.gif

is there a link? confused-smiley-013.gif

Mark,

I awoke this morning to the news that an article about the 3,000 Golden Age Comic collection my wife and I bought bought had appeared in the Comics Buyer Guide. Julie and I were THRILLED to say the least. Later in the day, a fellow from Germany sent me the negative postings you have made on the CGC boards. We were extremely disappointed. It Sounds like sour grapes more than anything else to me as far as what YOU think about the condition of the comics.The fact that the Superman and Batman from #50 on appear to be unread high end copies as well as hundreds of other Golden and early Silver Age Comics, is a newsworthy event.

You seem to be going out of your way to downgrade the collection. I can't understand why as I've always been very nice to you. Like the guy said, "you can't walk in and offer peanuts and expect to get the books." Frankly, the fellows who were handling the collection were insulted by your offer. So do me a favor and like my Grandmother used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about something, don't say ANYTHING at all." I'd appreciate if you'd remember that from now on.

Whether CGC makes it a pedigree or not is no big deal. It's not everyday that 3,000 Golden Age Comics surface from an original owner. That my friend IS news. My wife and I bought the comics because we LIKED them. Secondly (or is it thirdly) they are not all for resale as the article states. Everything in life is not for sale. So, do me a favor and quit with the naysaying. I'd appreciate it.

Jack

So far, everyone who bought from Julie has been very pleased with the comics they got. And quite a few of them were dealers.

If I'm ever in your area, can I come by and see the collection 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm in Alaska, so it likely wouldn't be for a very long time.

Congrats on such a great group purchase. Even if you paid full guide, as long as you were pleased, it sounds like there is a lot of enjoyment being had with the books. That's what they are about.

Congrats. and Welcome to the boards.....I'm sure most board members would love to hear about the books, condition, listing tidbits of information.

thumbsup2.gif

hello all...

where are these being sold?....I have a lot of holes in Batman from 50-100 that need filling, and would like to view what is for sale?...can someone point me in the right direction

thanks

rick

Mark,

Jack

I think you need to read Mark's posts again... from what I've read, Mark said you were " a really nice guy who I have corresponded with on numerous occasions." and then he gave his opinion about the collection. Did you even read this thread? What specific comments are you offended by? What are the "negative posts"? Other posters made much more inflammatory/negative comments than Mark - what say you to these?

hello all...

where are these being sold?....I have a lot of holes in Batman from 50-100 that need filling, and would like to view what is for sale?...can someone point me in the right direction

thanks

rick

Read the Purchaser's post again:

"Secondly (or is it thirdly) they are not all for resale as the article states." so you'd have to ask him specifically.

Superman_23.jpg

tales_of_terror_annual.jpgSuperman_24.jpgSuperman_22.jpg

batman_100.jpg

superman_72.jpg

Hello,

I have been collectiing/buying and selling golden age and silver pedegree (Mile High, San Francisco, White Mountain etc.) comics for the past 15 years.

I had a chance to see the books and was astounded by the size of the collection, with a large number of them being very high grade.

Jack and Julie will do very well with this collection, both because they love the comics and because they will profit from them.

Whenever a collector scores a major collection I am happy for them, and I certainly have NO respect for anyone who posts negative things about someone elses good fortune. This is a sign of sour grapes and insecurity.

Mark,

Jack

Hi Jack:

It would be great, to see some more scans of these books.

Mike

Mark,

Jack

Jack, I am sorry you viewed my comments to be so negative. I don't see them as that at all, nor do I have sour grapes. I could have easily have purchased the collection if I wanted to do so. The price was simply too high and I, and those who were working with me, didn't feel we could resell it the period of time we wanted for the dollars we wanted. And every other dealer passed on it as well for their own reasons.

Simply because we might differ on grading is not a reason why to attack me. People differ on grades all the time. I am not downplaying the collection. I have only said nice things about it (and you), but I definitely did not believe the collection to be HG. Sure, as I have said, some books were VF. Most I believe were in the low to mid-grade range. But why is that a negative? In any event, it is my opinion. I am sure if you gave the books to ten dealers/collectors you would get at least 6 different opinions. Unread? I have no idea how often they were read or not nor does anyone else. The owner of the books died, as I recall, about 8 years ago.

I wish you the best of luck in selling the colleciton. I said it repeatedly, it was a beautiful sight to see regardless of condition.