• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I crazy to feel Layton and Romita Jr were the best?

20 posts in this topic

Their run on Iron Man is to me sublime ( I always love to slip that word in when possible)

Seriously though, issue 120 is what hooked me to that title forever.

They don't really seem to get much run as far as I can tell. Is that true? If so, why?

Yes, they were a great team. cloud9.gif

I don't think any other Iron Man stories have equaled the Micheline/Romita/Layton run.

Micheline understood the concept of tech' being cool and Romita/Layton made you believe that the armor could shine....compress flat as a pancake.... and still be hard as a steel plate.

Lately, Romita has shown his limits...while Layton tried his hands a few times on solo art...but the solo efforts never measured up to the team effort.

Side Note:

I liked Iron Man drunk more than the current jerk flying around in the modern books...which of course makes that late 70s/early 80s run look even better. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, they were and still are one of the best art teams ever to work on a comic book. However, Romita jr's style has changed so much since those days, I don't think Layton inking him now would produce the same results.

I loved their run on IM. Like some of you guys, I got in right as things started to really pop - around 120-128. Those issues are very dear to me. IM 149 & 150 are two of my all-time favorite books!

However - if you ever talk with Romita JR, he probably won't agree with you. He understands that he was a 'young pup,' really breaking into the biz at that point & that Layton inked him a bit heavy - but that doesn't mean he looks back on those books with fondness. At least this is what he's relayed to me in a few different conversations over the years. (I'm not sure what his relationship with Layton is or if they even have one.)

He seems to MUCH prefer his current style over his earlier efforts (although I think his newer Spidey stuff has looked a bit lazy at times).

Still, I love that early stuff Romita JR and Layton put together - just wonderful to look at! headbang.gif

They made a great team..up there close to Byrne/Austin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif