• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Amazing Auction

25 posts in this topic

Looks like Heritage is going to blow out the D books not worth slabbing in its weekly Amazing Auctions. A bunch of raw D's are up in this week's auction, probably the first in an endless stream.

More surprising is the presence of a bunch of raw books from the McLaughlin collection, including a bunch of Mile Highs that are graded NM and NM+. Some nice books in there, I'm surprised they're not being slabbed.

Looks like Heritage is going to blow out the D books not worth slabbing in its weekly Amazing Auctions. A bunch of raw D's are up in this week's auction, probably the first in an endless stream.

More surprising is the presence of a bunch of raw books from the McLaughlin collection, including a bunch of Mile Highs that are graded NM and NM+. Some nice books in there, I'm surprised they're not being slabbed.

I remember John McLaughlin - he owned the Book Sail here in Orange. My first comic book store back when I started collecting in the 70s. Sorry to hear he passed away last year. I remember the old comics that they had up on the wall - man, wish I could have bought those back then! I had heard from a friend that actually knew him well that he had an awesome personal collection - guess so!

Yeah, pretty much any book they couldn't have slabbed. This was mentioned in the previous Crippen thread. Most of the reason seems to be related to overhang. The raw Fawcetts I saw definited had overhang.

Yeah, pretty much any book they couldn't have slabbed. This was mentioned in the previous Crippen thread. Most of the reason seems to be related to overhang. The raw Fawcetts I saw definited had overhang.

I spoke to Ed Jaster a few weeks ago. He told me to watch the weekly auctions, a bunch of nice books, raw, will be sold. Why pay for slabbing these books, they will most likely sell for top price anyhow. Many are "cheap" in guide so slabbing will not necisarrily get the top dollar for the book. They oviously have a few thousand books like this. I love a raw pedigree, especially those Mile Highs!

I spoke to one of the Heritage guys, there are 2500 raw Mile Highs that haven't been seen since the 70s. Mostly late 40s/early 50s stuff. The owner died, and the family doesn't want them slabbed.

I think that was the case with certain books that were sold raw in the August auction, but I find it hard to believe that all of the raw D books in this week's Amazing Auction have overhang problems. In fact, Heritage had said publicly that they would not be slabbing all the D books, so the listing of the raw D books is consistent with that approach. I just hadn't expected them to sell the raw books via the weekly (lower profile) Amazing Auctions.

I spoke to one of the Heritage guys, there are 2500 raw Mile Highs that haven't been seen since the 70s. Mostly late 40s/early 50s stuff. The owner died, and the family doesn't want them slabbed.

That's very interesting. So NONE of the McLaughlin books are going to be slabbed? This may be the biggest single sale of raw MH books since Chuck broke up the collection.

For all of the ardent preservers and protectors of pristine publications out there, you should view buying up all the D books and the McLaughlin MHs not only as an opportunity to get nice books, but as your sacred duty to keep them out of the hands of evildoers that would then press and slab them! tongue.gif

I think that was the case with certain books that were sold raw in the August auction, but I find it hard to believe that all of the raw D books in this week's Amazing Auction have overhang problems. In fact, Heritage had said publicly that they would not be slabbing all the D books, so the listing of the raw D books is consistent with that approach. I just hadn't expected them to sell the raw books via the weekly (lower profile) Amazing Auctions.

They have 11,000 books to unload, the vast majority way to cheap for the Sig Sales. The books they are offering in this sale aren't they kind they want to put in the Sig sale where expenses are greater.

That's very interesting. So NONE of the McLaughlin books are going to be slabbed? This may be the biggest single sale of raw MH books since Chuck broke up the collection.

For all of the ardent preservers and protectors of pristine publications out there, you should view buying up all the D books and the McLaughlin MHs not only as an opportunity to get nice books, but as your sacred duty to keep them out of the hands of evildoers that would then press and slab them! tongue.gif

A bunch will be slabbed. The family/estate isn't interested in paying for the books to be slabbed.

Twenty-five HUNDRED mile highs at once? Christ almighty... now THAT is a big deal! sumo.gif

Anybody know what titles?

Here's a link for the September Signature Auction:

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/auction/catalogprint.php?SaleNo=752&src=&preview=1

November Signature Auction:

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/auction/catalogprint.php?SaleNo=822&src=&preview=1

Angelo

Amazing assortment of stuff. I have to say though that seeing that much pricey stuff in one catalog has just reaffirmed my opinion that comic collecting and comic art is at pretty obscene price levels. You can't get a nice copy of a good book for a decent price confused-smiley-013.gif. Most of the books I'd love to own in that catalog are $500-1k+. Buying even a small stack would cost 10k and that's way more than I want to spend. Kind of depressing as when this stuff was cheap enough to buy I was delivering newspapers for $50/month. insane.gif I have to say I think I made the right decision getting out of this hobby and focussing on something else... it's difficult to get much bang for your buck these days. Are there are good deals left? I struggle to think of virtually any book in today's climate that's a "steal"

There are plenty of GA books that can be had reasonably. I still think that there are good deals out there and I focus on that material. I'd love to have a nice set of Marvel Mystery, Cap or All-Star books, but I'm priced out of that market.

Wow here is a grail of mine that is sure to fetch close to $10,000:

Marvel Mystery Comics 132-Page Issue - Variant Edition (Timely, 1943) Condition: VG+. More than a rarity, this is the variant of a rarity! Overstreet calls this square bound issue a 132-pager while the cover says "128 pages," it all depends on whether you count the covers as pages or not. This book's got blank inside covers and a blank back cover, and the contents are black-and-white reprints of Captain America Comics #22 and Marvel Mystery Comics #41 -- that's where the "variant" comes in, as there's another 132-pager that reprints different issues of those Timely books. Overstreet says that less than 5 copies are known to exist of the "regular" edition and calls this one "possibly scarcer than the other version." According to John McLaughlin's 1984 catalog, this scarce issue was distributed only in New York City. This comic's indicia don't give a date, and they list the publisher as "Universal Crime Stories, Inc." The cover is taken from Marvel Mystery #33. Note that this comic cannot be certified by CGC because of its thickness. Overstreet ranks the "regular" edition among its 100 most valuable Golden Age books, assigning it a VG 4.0 value of $7,142. The Guide does not list a value for this variant, but does note "a GD+ copy sold in 2002 for $7,500."From the John McLaughlin Collection.The current bid is $550.00.

A lot of the other stuff in the September auction doesn't do much for me. frown.gif

trick is, you DON'T know the steals until afterwards! Buy what you like and let the market come to you.

meh. While I agree with that approach in general, and while there are always some (relative) bargains if you look hard enough, I consider things to be at the point where there are really no *absolute* bargains, you know what I mean? A couple or five hundred dollars really doesn't buy you much. A vg timely maybe. A coverless marvel SA key or coverless nice GA book. Maybe a high grade semi key bronze book. Am I the only one who is completely underwhelmed with what you can get for the money? Now that I'm a little bit older and I don't feel the same "need" to collect, the idea of putting down incremental money to buy anything just seems absurd. Selling one thing to buy another is another story, but actually plunking down cash for the value received? Yeesh. screwy.gif

I dunno, maybe its a by-product of being engaged and needing to pay for the upcoming wedding/house/kids. I'm definitely more price conscious than I used to be... but it just doesn't seem like you can get a book that you'd be proud to own at reasonable levels anymore confused-smiley-013.gif