• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

September Heritage Auction

173 posts in this topic

Of course just because that one copy went for that amount doesn't mean it will again. Then again it could mean it goes for more next time. The price for this book depends entirely on timing, and who knows of its availability.

Would love to know who purchased it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Centaur just curious but do you wish you chased the NA#26 alittle harder now that the auction is over?

Nope. There are other copies, even though they aren't on the market right now. Actually I'm hopeful that the price realized by this auction will shake another one out of the woodwork.

The problem with these super scarce books isn't that they don't exist, it's that they trade hands so infrequently that there's no sense of "market" value, and the Overstreet guide is so low on them that people who have them would just rather keep them. Data points like this past weekend's sale should help loosen the market a bit.

One thing is for sure -- when a moderately restored FN/VF 7.0 sells for 5.33X NM- Guide and an unrestored VG/FN 5.0 sells for over 3.5X NM- Guide, it is time for an increase in the Guide price.

Are you reading this, Gemstone????? makepoint.gif

Centaur just curious but do you wish you chased the NA#26 alittle harder now that the auction is over?

Nope. There are other copies, even though they aren't on the market right now. Actually I'm hopeful that the price realized by this auction will shake another one out of the woodwork.

The problem with these super scarce books isn't that they don't exist, it's that they trade hands so infrequently that there's no sense of "market" value, and the Overstreet guide is so low on them that people who have them would just rather keep them. Data points like this past weekend's sale should help loosen the market a bit.

One thing is for sure -- when a moderately restored FN/VF 7.0 sells for 5.33X NM- Guide and an unrestored VG/FN 5.0 sells for over 3.5X NM- Guide, it is time for an increase in the Guide price.

Are you reading this, Gemstone????? makepoint.gif

I think the OS guide is stuck in the stone age when it comes to pricing some books.

I think the OS guide is stuck in the stone age when it comes to pricing some books.

Speaking of, does anybody know the 1st stone age comic book? Surely it would precede Old Obadiah, yes?!?! 27_laughing.gif

Are you reading this, Gemstone?????

They're not interested.

I gave up long ago.

They still list Supergear at something like $100.

I had four hundred DC comics listed that they don't even list in the guide, but my notes weren't good enough.

They wanted photocopies of the indicia of each one, which, with the size of my collection and with my career, was never going to happen, so they carry on being unlisted in the guide. This includes silly stuff like a three issue series from the 1990s called Psycho, that any old fool could look up and verify, never mind all their Superman-Tim dates being wrong, and their giveaway section listing less than ONE FIFTH of all the DC giveaways that we know of.

They're a sick joke.

They're not interested.

I gave up long ago.

I had four hundred DC comics listed that they don't even list in the guide, but my notes weren't good enough.

They wanted photocopies of the indicia of each one, which, with the size of my collection and with my career, was never going to happen, so they carry on being unlisted in the guide. This includes silly stuff like a three issue series from the 1990s called Psycho, that any old fool could look up and verify, never mind all their Superman-Tim dates being wrong, and their giveaway section listing less than ONE FIFTH of all the DC giveaways that we know of.

They're a sick joke.

I can understand them wanting indicia information for verification purposes, but maybe they could work out something with you when they send someone to London for a convention? Maybe have that person come and confirm indicia information over the course of an afternoon?

I know the Psycho books. Those have the Dan Brereton art, right? Loved that series.

TOTALLY unrestored??

Not sure. It is possible that the book is merely "COMPLETELY unrestored." As for TOTALLY unrestored, I don't know that Metro would make that statement. Who wants to hang their azz out there like that? Not me. insane.gif

Was looking at the preview, and my jaw dropped when I saw this.

I was a bit shocked when someone just told me about this (better late than never).

What's the exact price it went for ??

When I think it took me something like 33 years to find one !!!!!!!!!

It sold for $5,377.50, including the BP. Jaws dropped in the room as well. I should have bought it from Steve Ritter for $625 in the 10 minutes he had it listed on his site.

Maybe this is an indication that DTA's price for his copy of NA #26 was not so ridiculous or out-of-line after all.

Does this mean that Ian will be sending DTA a message of apology after all of the nasty comments regarding the price of this book? 27_laughing.gif

They're not interested.

I gave up long ago.

They're a sick joke.

Actually the promotional section of the Guide is one of the key areas I told Bob Overstreet I felt I could contribute to after being named an advisor as that is a very specifc type of book I collect (though nowhere near to the extent that Ian did, i.e., all DCs).

Ian, I know we discussed this once a long time ago and I honestly don't recall whether we exchanged information but I would love to see your information for the DC giveaways that are not listed in the guide. I don't believe that every single giveaway comic for every publisher can likely be listed, but if any would be it is certainly those from the primary publishers.

Ian,

since you're back for a short while, can we ask you how you've been enjoying your completed collection? Any upgrading going on or have you started on another goal?

I've still been buying every new DC every week.

I just helped the DC offices by supplying scans of some Doctor Fate stuff they wanted to reprint.

Apparently More Fun 83 is rarer than anyone realised.

I've been busy running a Doctor Who forum, which, if anyone's interested, is on

http://ianlevine.forumco.com/

And as I upgraded most of the ones I needed to, I've not had much to worry about with the old comics. I would like to upgrade my Girls Love 5, if anyone has one, but that's the only really important candidate. Oh and I'd like a low grade Uncle Sam 5 (not DC but connected in a roundabout way), as I bought one off e-Bay but some low life made excuses and never sent it.

Actually the promotional section of the Guide is one of the key areas I told Bob Overstreet I felt I could contribute to after being named an advisor as that is a very specifc type of book I collect (though nowhere near to the extent that Ian did, i.e., all DCs).

Ian, I know we discussed this once a long time ago and I honestly don't recall whether we exchanged information but I would love to see your information for the DC giveaways that are not listed in the guide. I don't believe that every single giveaway comic for every publisher can likely be listed, but if any would be it is certainly those from the primary publishers.

I need to bring my entire collection into order and up to date.

I haven't refiled anything for two years, so it's all waiting to gop through the lot.

Two years ago I started making a list of comics not listed in Overstreet, jotting down each one as I checked against the guide, but gave up halfway when it became clear that I needed to do too much work for them to make it viable, as I was doing it while in the process of re-filing my entire collection.

I need to start again before Christmas, and this time I will make a total complete list, check every last comic and every last promo against the guide, and give you the complete list.

It's a monumental task and will take several months, but if you assure me it's not a waste of time, then I WILL have one last go at doing it.

But last year I posted scans in this forum of five incredibly rare giveaways, which Arnold said would make the Guide, but they didn't of course.

I need to bring my entire collection into order and up to date.

I haven't refiled anything for two years, so it's all waiting to gop through the lot.

Two years ago I started making a list of comics not listed in Overstreet, jotting down each one as I checked against the guide, but gave up halfway when it became clear that I needed to do too much work for them to make it viable, as I was doing it while in the process of re-filing my entire collection.

I need to start again before Christmas, and this time I will make a total complete list, check every last comic and every last promo against the guide, and give you the complete list.

It's a monumental task and will take several months, but if you assure me it's not a waste of time, then I WILL have one last go at doing it.

But last year I posted scans in this forum of five incredibly rare giveaways, which Arnold said would make the Guide, but they didn't of course.

I can do this Ian - I can assure you that its not a waste of time to me, and that I am equally willing to put the time into the project. I can't, of course, ensure that Gemstone will follow any recommendation I make. But we will be in the effort together. hi.gif

Hi Ian,

I registered on your website, but it's telling me that my username and password are invalid. I went through registration process again, but it's telling me that my e-mail address and username already exist. Thanks.