• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

September Heritage Auction

173 posts in this topic

For Heritage to produce a catalog or the books and pulps for sale?

Man, I looked through the catalog last night and I was blown away by some of the stuff in there. hail.gif Although the comics are sweet, the pulps and fanzines that John McLaughlin had were amazing!

Catalogs are useful as reference sources for checking provenance of books. Person a says that he has a Mile High sold at the Heritage Auction last November you can look it up without having to take forever(if you don't have broadband). Of course, most people do and you get a superior image via the web.

Personally, I wouldn't have known about the pulps being sold because I don't look at anything other than the Superhero area in the Golden Age category when looking at Heritage Auctions. I usually find the "impulse" buy type items such as OA and pulps in the catalog.

I just checked about 10 raw Mile High Books that I was somewhat interested in, and they're all over-graded by at least 2 or 3 grades. I'm talking about 1/2" tears being allowed in the 9.2 department, and multiple spine stresses for 9.4. I finally found one where the front cover looked like the assigned 7.5 grade, until I noticed a 1" tear and large indentation on the back cover (probably a 6.0 at best).

I seriously hope people are checking the scans, and not assuming that they'll get a steal if they purchase a 9.4 Church book at only 2 times guide. When they receive the book in the mail, they'll realize that they actually paid 6 times guide for a VF book. foreheadslap.gif

I seriously doubt I'll win any of the Church books in this auction (I don't mind FN's and VF's), for the sole reason that some people won't bother to check the scans and raise the bidding through the roof. We'll see.

Also, I don't buy this whole argument that Heritage is afraid that they're grading won't be accurate. I've probably submitted 1/100th of the amount of books they've sent to CGC, and even I know what's not allowed in certain grades. Heritage is just using the Mile High factor to bump up the grades thinking that people will just be happy to get their hands on this Pedigree. Never mind the exuberant prices they'll have to pay.

Yeah, I agree on that assessment. I have found only a couple books that match the grade in the Captain Marvels(VF or better).. So, I am not making too many raw book bids. grin.gif

Did you check the back cover?

Nope because the ones I saw didn't have any back cover pictures. Really, the only two I am bidding on 1 CGC and the other a Xmas comics. The Xmas is raw and graded VG. So, you always have to chance it with that grade.

It's funny that you question the MH raw grades because after checking the scans of the CGC'd books my wife has a number of books she believes are overgraded

and recommends that I pass. Are we in the middle of a grading change back to looser standards?

You know, some of those CGC'd Crippens had some undesirable characteristics to me. Though, I could still see where they got the grade.

Now as to the Heritage raw Crippens, again seems like some overgrading.

How many Crippen books had the shading/ tanning on the edges? Were they stored properly? In the Sept auctiion check out the grading on the Superman 5.

Look at the back cover in particular and tell me how many FVF's you have that look "sharp" as that copy?

It's funny that you question the MH raw grades because after checking the scans of the CGC'd books my wife has a number of books she believes are overgraded

and recommends that I pass. Are we in the middle of a grading change back to looser standards?

Agreed. I passed on a couple of Crippen books from the previous auction because of foxing on the back cover. I can understand a sun shadow not bringing a grade down, but foxing is a little more serious.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Pedigree books in general are getting graded a little more loosely (by all parties) because of their prominence. Sure, the MH books may have superior QP, better page quality and a nice back-story, but all that is already being taken into factor when a buyer shells out a premium (usually multiples of guide) for the book. On the other hand, the grader should not even consider the Pedigree designation when assigning a certain grade to the book. It's almost like having the cake and eating it too.

Well, I just added this Crippen to my collection and but I sure as heck didn't pay a premium for it. Of course, how many GA Captain Marvel Collectors are there out there?

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=16083&Lot_No=16548

Nice pick-up. thumbsup2.gif

In general, the Crippen books did not sell for higher premiums. My comment was directed more at Mile Highs. However, does anyone know if Mile High books in the 7.0 to 8.0 range still sell for multiples (2 or 3 times) of guide for let's say regular Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc, issues?

In the Sept auctiion check out the grading on the Superman 5.

Look at the back cover in particular and tell me how many FVF's you have that look "sharp" as that copy?

Geez, you weren't kidding! 893whatthe.gif Looks like the spine corners on the back were gnawed off by beavers...

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=752&Lot_No=51227

In the Sept auctiion check out the grading on the Superman 5.

Geez, you weren't kidding! 893whatthe.gif Looks like the spine corners on the back were gnawed off by beavers...

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=752&Lot_No=51227

I don't believe CGC will downgrade a book for those production-related bindery tears/chips, or as you call them "beaver gnaws"! 27_laughing.gif

grin.gif

I know that bindery chips shouldn't affect grades in theory, but this damage looks much worse than average for bindery defects if that's what it is. (Check out the bottom corner, where the cover is torn up and the pages have chunks of paper missing!) Point taken, though.