• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

September Heritage Auction

173 posts in this topic

I'm starting to get the feeling that Pedigree books in general are getting graded a little more loosely (by all parties) because of their prominence.

This is not new.

PCE overgraded all Pedigrees back in the early to mid-90's. Roter even said so, as he changed the way he graded books later on.

And Showcase New England had the Mile High Catman run listed with prices in a CBM in the mid 90's. Know what was missing, GRADES!!!!!!! Basically, you wanted the MH copy, you should know what the grade is (NM+++++++ right) or don't worry about the grade because it's a MH.

The problem with Heritage's grading is this:

Since it appears that they have overgraded lots of the books (i.e. NM that look like VF's), when you see a VF that looks like a VF, you really have to assume there are flaws that you can't see which would bring the book down to a FN (or something like that).

In other words, graders really aren't that inconsistent. You aren't going to call one book with six spine stress lines NM, and the next book that looks the same VF.

In other words, graders really aren't that inconsistent. You aren't going to call one book with six spine stress lines NM, and the next book that looks the same VF.

So are we dealing in world world of relative pedigree grading? If so is a Crowley 9.4 better than a Green river 9.6 or a Sid's lucheonette 9.8?

In the Sept auctiion check out the grading on the Superman 5.

Look at the back cover in particular and tell me how many FVF's you have that look "sharp" as that copy?

Geez, you weren't kidding! 893whatthe.gif Looks like the spine corners on the back were gnawed off by beavers...

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=752&Lot_No=51227

I have never agreed with bindery defects not counting against the grade, especially ones that look that bad.

Heritage presents the John John McLaughlin Collection

Wow does that name bring back memories.

I bought a motion picture funnies weekly #1 FROM jOHN BACK IN 1993.

His associate warned me that I had to be very careful about the way i spoke to him.He didnt like to negotiate price and could have a quick temper.I waited an hour before he got back to his table at San Diego...Fortunatly for me there was a guy ahead of me.Guess what.He told John he saw a better copy at another booth and John took him apart.Even called security because the guy wanted to negotiate.Wow..... Now it was my turn. I asked him his askin price for the MPFW #1...8600.00....ok, Ill take it.......................Plus tax he said........ok, ill take it.

Will you take a check........[im expecting a scene right there] he said if you can give me a good reference] Thank god!...I brought him over to Metro and steven told him I was triple aaa......I got the book...........Ill never forget John M....He was a character....Owner of the book sail in cali...

John did not set up in the Golden age pavillion. He had his booth near all the repro toy booths all the way opposite of the golden age stuff on the other end.I think thats why I got the book.No one knew that it was there.They all had there noses in the Golden age pavillion and here is a Motion Picture Funnies weekly there amongst a bunch of cheap toy dealers on the other end..I know I lucked out.

Although the comics are sweet, the pulps and fanzines that John McLaughlin had were amazing!

Although this isn't a pulp board, I'm surprised no one (particularly FD) has mentioned the All-Story (first appearance of Tarzan, ever). Already over $22K. Plus lots of other cool pulps with ERB and REH stories.

Although the comics are sweet, the pulps and fanzines that John McLaughlin had were amazing!

Although this isn't a pulp board, I'm surprised no one (particularly FD) has mentioned the All-Story (first appearance of Tarzan, ever). Already over $22K. Plus lots of other cool pulps with ERB and REH stories.

1. First Tarzan 893whatthe.gif

2. First Buck Rogers893whatthe.gif

3. First Conan893whatthe.gif

4. The classic Saucy Movie Tales including the barebreasted cover893whatthe.gif

5. Weird Tales 1893whatthe.gif

6. The legendary 10/33 Weird Tales with the Batwoman cover...893whatthe.gif

it goes on and on and on hail.gif

I'm looking forward just to being in the room. Stunning stuff.

Although this isn't a pulp board, I'm surprised no one (particularly FD) has mentioned the All-Story (first appearance of Tarzan, ever). Already over $22K.

893naughty-thumb.gif shhhhhhh!

The All Story and the Amazing Stories (Aug. 1928) were the two pulps I had specifically in mind when I made the comment. I didn't have my catalog with me at the time though, so I couldn't reference them by name! 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Just look at lot # 50414. 13 Herbies that "average NM". That means 9.4 in my book.

Well, they only have 3 of the 13 books scanned and the # 6 might be 9.2. The # 5 is no better than 7.5. Now I know that Ed Jaster and Lon Allen can grade accurately. Believe me - they are experts in every sense of the word. So why such a disparity?

No returns based on grading...well, I think I'd be a bit lenient with my grades too - if it didn't matter!

There's going to be some very upset buyers when they get their books...

Steve B: Get over there and pound some sense into these goof balls! makepoint.gif