• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember

211 posts in this topic

Sorry for the poor quality, but I have no clue how to set my scanner for a Polaroid snapshot. So here it is...I give you: Greg's "driveway collection" ...278 comics strong (according to my handwritten caption) from the Summer of 1978! cloud9.gif

(A "No Prize" for the one who can identify the most comics)

Gregscollection1978.jpg

20+ years later and it is still there....Cap N Mandi felt humble to be on such hallowed ground. As did I.

bronwsburg017.jpg

I remember buying Giant-Size X-Men off the stands at a little grocery store, picking through all the copies to get the best one.

Wish I'd bought them all now....,

Sorry for the poor quality, but I have no clue how to set my scanner for a Polaroid snapshot. So here it is...I give you: Greg's "driveway collection" ...278 comics strong (according to my handwritten caption) from the Summer of 1978! cloud9.gif

Gregscollection1978.jpg

20+ years later and it is still there....Cap N Mandi felt humble to be on such hallowed ground. As did I.

bronwsburg017.jpg

Cap n Mandi.

:(

MIA, or POW?

I had some good times as a kid.Getting to be on the Captain Shipwreck tv show I will never forget that.

The Saturday morning matinee at the McDonald theatre.They would run two hors of cartoons hosted my Hobo Kelly(If I rember right).All it cost to get in was two bread wrappers.Still rember the time I won a six pack of coke.Truly a great day.

One of the saddest days was when comics went from 12 to 15 cents.I could no longer buy two at a time.My allowance was small but my mom would buy me two when I went to the dentist.With that small increase it was cut to one.

All and all a good childhood.

POW i think

So who had them last?

Chrisco sent them to Brad around mid November, sadly no word of them since. Who knows though, they could turn up yet. The pair have seen so much of the world it would be nice to see them continue their silly adventures.

Gregscollection1978.jpg

bronwsburg017.jpg

Cap n Mandi.

MIA, or POW?

Hey...that's my old driveway! :acclaim:

I'm sitting here at work chuckling to myself at the thought of:

1) Me taking that top photo back in 1978

2) Kenny sneaking onto that same driveway 28 years later and taking the Cap n Mandi photo

lol

Don't worry, Kenny...Cap n Mandi will show up someplace! :wishluck:

You may have to kiss them goodbye for now. I'd be happy to do a recreation of Cap if needed.

This is what they call Irony, right? :roflmao: Or is it foreshadowing?

Seriously, given recent events when I re read this thread tonight I literally spit out my beer.

Happy Birthday Brad, ya sob. How's Mandi doing, you make him cut his hair yet?

:kidaround:

I remember...

There being comics in my life since I can first remember

Not being able to touch them because they belonged to my Dad and were 'valuable'

Dad leaving and Mam putting the comics in the garage for him to collect

Playing in the street without the fear of ... anything

Except bigger kids maybe

I remember breaking stretch Hulk by stretching him up the stairs with my brother

Losing a piece from my Steve Austin action figure on the day I got it and never finding it

Paying 75p (not much over a dollar) to get into my first football game

I remember:

Getting battlestar galactica toys for Christmas as an 8 year old and having the red shooting pegs immediately taken away because they were a "choking hazard."

Stabbing my brother's stretch monster to see what the stretch juice looked like.

Getting comics for Christmas as early as I remember and getting back issues for Christmas (Silver Surfer 1,2,3 :cloud9: ) for the first time

my first bike - my dad bought it for 5 bucks from the guy across the street and taught me to ride it on my 5th birthday. No training wheels for this kid.

Honestly believing that I needed to wait another year and a half to get a Green Machine because it was only for "10-11-12 Year-Olds!"

Catching my homemade Superman cape in the back axle of a neighborhood Big Wheel and nearly asphyxiating myself

Thinking I had died and gone to heaven when I got to play with Megos, SSTs, Crash-Up Derby cars, Super jock, Mousetrap, Evel Knievel's Stunt cycle and fireworks.

I remember being followed home from school by the school bully because I called him a martian. He pounced on me till I spit up blood. He looked a lot like Seanfingh now when I think about it.

I remember painting my skin green with watercolor paint and wearing torn, yellow pajamas to school for Halloween dress up day and making a poor, 75lb Incredible Hulk. All the kids laughed at me because of the way I dressed...

I remember having a lot to say in class...and the teacher always used to call me a smart arse....

I'm sure glad things are different now.

hm

I remember:

Getting 2 slices of pizza and a soda for under $1

Penny candy

Endless games of stickball

A time when electronic games, computers, the Internet did not exists in private homes

Playing outside

Snowball fights

Getting hurt and told to "suck it up"

Being disciplined by people that were not my parents

A house being a home

Comics being fun all the time

Waiting in line for gas with my Dad and him complaining it was over $1 a gallon

I remember living and playing in a dead end street with the neighbourhood kids. It's would be kick ball 'till sun down.

I remember playing marathon long sessions of Monopoly on weekends.

I remember the Saturday afternoon Kung Fu movies and the Sunday Afternoon Steve Reeves Hercules movies

I remember watching Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

I remember at the end of the dead end was an undeveloped field and we had our first tree fort there, a bicycle "race track" a Maple that was hundreds of years old that you could climb forever and finding my first nudie mags.

I remember sneaking off to the Consumer's Distributing outlet on the other side of the field where they had video game demos and I'd play until I would cramp up from having to go to the bathroom.

I remember in the summer of 1982 playing Ninja all summer long with home made costumes and weapons.

Great thread everyone...oh and I was joking about the smart arse remarks my teachers used to make. It was just one teacher.

:grin: