• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember

211 posts in this topic

I remember buying packs of baseball cards after Little League from the Texaco station near the ballfield, carefully removing the American League teams to keep and giving the National league teams to one of my sisters. I can still see her name written messily in marker across the 1971 Nolan Ryan & Johnny Bench cards. :cry:

I remember running around the "block" while it was still light out collecting Trick or Treat for UNICEF money before going home and getting costumed up for Halloween, filling up as much of a pillowcase as I could.

I remember riding my bike one day and being totally fascinated by the ground going by under my feet and forgetting that my grandmother parked just outside our driveway. Forgot, that is, until I rode straight into her bumper. Family jewels, meet The Handle Bars.

I remember sitting in the family station wagon one summer day listening to AM radio(Wings, "Listen to what the Man Said" specifically) & reading a Tarzan novel while my mother was in the grocery store. And probably arguing with my sisters over who was going to get to ride in the way back seat(pointing backwards) on the way home.

I remember riding in the back of my dad's pickup truck w/cap on the back in winter when it wasn't too cold, all us kids huddled under blankets.

I remember Pop Rocks.

I remember my best buddy and I climbing up onto an above ground pool deck and then too being too scared to jump down, then getting caught there later when the owners came home.

I remember knowing with absolute certainty that there really was a monster under my bed or in my closet.

I remember always trying to fit in one more inning before the 5 o'clock dinner curfew.

I remember that I could go to the corner soda shop and pick up a pack of Kools for my Mom when I was 6 or 7.

I remember going into a shop next to the soda shop where it always smelled kinda sweet and they always had incense. They also had these cool cars whose doors and hood opened up. They also had some strange looking pipes and lots of rolling paper. I guess an 8 year old just doesn't know what a head shop is.

I remember soda coming in glass bottles and cans where you had to peel the tab off.

I remember trading my Star Wars #1 for 2 Marvel Two-In-Ones because I thought the story was stupid and the art was awful.

I remember getting my first 10 speed bike at the age of 10. A blue Schwinn that I could barely get my feet of the pedals.

I remember my brother in law owning a Ford Pinto. It never blew up, though.

I remember taking my pack of baseball cards to school and flipping them to win the piles. Regulars of the day were Reggie Jackson, Johnny Bench, Ron Guidry, Gaylord Perry, Nolan Ryan, Bobby Bonds...

I remember getting smacked on the hand with the yardstick in kindergarten. I don't think I spoke in class EVER again.

I remember growing up in New York and wondering what the heck they do at comic conventions like the ones they advertised in Marvel comics. Do all the artists get together and talk about their characters or what?

I remember when the Yankees played their home games at Shea.

I remember when graffiti on a train was the norm, when there was no A/C on the subway trains just fans, when you actually bought a token to get through the turnstile.

I remember marathon bars (the curly, chocolate covered caramel ones), charleston chews, chick-o-sticks (for a dime), swedish fish (5 for a penny), and Reggie bars.

I remember watching Sky King, Whirlybirds, and Fury on Saturday mornings television.

Mom and Dad watching Polka Barn in the evenings.

The only paperbacks I would read were GOLDEN NATURE GUIDES. Mammals, Trees, Birds, Zoology, Weather, ...

Searching the neighborhoods for empty soda bottles. Taking the empty bottles to the local store and buying comics with the money. 5 cents a bottle as I remember.

Watching for TELSTAR in the evenings. All you would see is a tiny dot race across the dark sky. Wonder if its still up there?

At Noon, running home to watch Bozo. At 3:30 after school, running home to watch the STOOGES.

The day after the 4th July; search for firecrackers that didn't go off.

Blowing up model cars and planes with the firecrackers we found.

Buying the latest comics that came out and reading them all with my old friends on my front porch.

Having a rolled up comic in my back pocket most of the day.

I remember the 1st comic shop I ever went to...

It was Christmas time and my parents took me to a comic store in San Bruno (I think it was Bunky Brothers? way back 30+ something yrs ago).

I marveled at the wall comics and managed to pick up a mint Hulk 181 with a cool looking guy on the cover for about 5 dollars. I also picked up the first 10 issues of marvel team up. When I arrived home, I realized the cover of MTU 1 was a photo copy.

Years later, in the mid 80s, I can recall the angst of a desperate kid wanting to buy new comics, and selling the same Hulk 181 for about the same (or less) five bucks in trade. That was my welcoming to the world of scrupulous dealers and hungry for comics kids.

I could go on, but those particular memories stand out.

This is one of my all-time favorite threads...thanks to whomever bumped it back up! (thumbs u

I'll add a few more...

I remember 1985 as a banner year in our house for technological advances: We got our first VCR and our first TV with a remote control! :banana:

I remember putting an ad to sell part of my collection in The Buyers Guide in 1984 :cry:

...and it just so happened that the ad published over Spring Break when I was at the beach for the week. When I returned, my parents screamed at me for an hour about being bombarded by phone calls...including many collect calls...at all hours of the night from collectors wanting to ask questions about the books!

I remember my first car...a 1976 Camaro (purchased in 1983) with a 350 V8 and 4-barrel carburetor that sucked gas but looked great and was loud and fast! :cloud9:

I remember when "getting up early" on the weekends or during summer meant anytime before noon.

more later...

I remember waking up without an alarm clock fully rested. Gosh, it must be 15 years since I've been able to do that.

I remember about 40 years (4 or 5 years old) ago or so, standing by the edge of the road. I stuck out my thumb, and a jeep with two men with army uniforms stopped. I ran like hell for the house. lol