• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Pick Up Books From The MastroAuction Last Night?

21 posts in this topic

I was very surprised (though grateful at the same time) that there was not one discussion on the boards about Mastro's auction that ended last night.

There were some key and beautiful GA and SA books that were up for sale. I snagged some nice ones at affordable prices, probably because most of you weren't paying attention! Or were you guys keeping quiet on purpose? gossip.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

So, did anyone buy anything? popcorn.gif

Mastro Auctions Main Page

I looked through the whole catalog, as usual, but it was kind of a dud auction for me. I'm sure someone with different collecting interests could've found something though.

I am glad these guys are around to give other auction houses some competition, although I think their policy of charging an annual fee to bid on some of their auctions puts a few people off.

The books I wanted were grouped with stuff I did not want and I just have too many irons in the fire right now so I didn't even bother to chase anything down.

hi.gif

Me too. Not a Gold collector...yet...but there were a few things I would have loved to go after that were wrapped up in groups.

Mastro is just getting into the comic book auction game, and they are VERY open to suggestions on how to improve their system. The comments above are just the kind of feedback they are looking for.

My impression is that this is a very honorable company that does not want to participate in the grade manipulation game and I was very pleased to give them my business last night, and plan to do so in the future.

I looked over the supersnipe issues, but if I'm going to pony up for MH or Crowley copies (slabbed) it's got to be the more interesting covers.

Good to hear you did well though.

Hey mark,

Did you get the More Fun 54?

I had a $30,000 sale fall through earlier this week, and as a result could not participate in the Mastronet auction since they don't offer time payments.

I was VERY disappointed to not be able to go after that book frown.gif Last I saw with a few hours left, it was sitting CHEAP!

Mastro takes a 17.5% off the win and bids go up in 10% increments -- but I found dealing with them to be very very easy -- I'm not a bigtime collector like you all but they still let me in to bid even w/o references. They have a great non-snipe system, too (hear that Ebay?). Check them out -- I think they'll be very successful.

That being said, I am DYING to know who won the absolutely one-of-a-kind collection of Joe Shuster drawings and personal effects. Whoever you are, please contact me! I have some very interesting (and funny) info on the lot and its backstory.

Dr. Brad Ricca

brad.ricca@case.edu

www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

Hey mark,

Did you get the More Fun 54?

I had a $30,000 sale fall through earlier this week, and as a result could not participate in the Mastronet auction since they don't offer time payments.

I was VERY disappointed to not be able to go after that book frown.gif Last I saw with a few hours left, it was sitting CHEAP!

No, I didn't as I already have a CGC 8.0 copy. In fact, it is THE book that caused me to decide to collect the New Fun/More Fun run.

I won:

More Fun #46 CGC 9.2

More Fun #51 CGC 9.0 (Larson)

More Fun #58 CGC 8.5 (Nova Scotia)

More Fun #87 CGC 7.5

Tried for some Church copies, which went for reasonable multiples but I purchased some other books and Americana items for my legal collectible business.

That being said, I am DYING to know who won the absolutely one-of-a-kind collection of Joe Shuster drawings and personal effects. Whoever you are, please contact me! I have some very interesting (and funny) info on the lot and its backstory.

I was in the running for it for a little while! Ultimately decided to go for other things.

TELL, TELL!!! popcorn.gif