• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Art Appraisal Service

58 posts in this topic

The 20 points for Creator makes sense if u break it down into 5 points for writer, 10 for penciller, 5 for inker. e.g. Claremont, Byrne, Austin or Denny O'Neill, N Adams, Giordano or Stan Lee, Kirby, Joe Sinnott. thumbsup2.gif

But how points be given when one artist does layouts and another the finishes?

I am in agreement with what Gene stated. Too much of it is subjective..Detecting restoration, determining authenticity, grading the condition all sounds good, but the rest of it is a definite no go. And how does one determine that the piece that was examined is the same one, in the same condition, a year later? Does it get a slab? The thought of putting comic art in a slab is laughable. I don't think it will fly.

The 20 points for Creator makes sense if u break it down into 5 points for writer, 10 for penciller, 5 for inker. e.g. Claremont, Byrne, Austin or Denny O'Neill, N Adams, Giordano or Stan Lee, Kirby, Joe Sinnott. thumbsup2.gif

But how points be given when one artist does layouts and another the finishes?

Where Joe Sinnott did the finishing it's always gonna be a 20!!

Here is Joe Mannarino's response to the controversy that was posted on ComicArt-L:

"Hey guys!

Interesting debate- frankly, surprised it took this long and yes, hopefully

all will become clear when the site is fully completed. We appreciate the

input and realize it is difficult to enter into a debate without all the

facts. Suffice it say that this is just an extension of the formal

appraisals that we have been doing for over 20 years. All we are doing now

is formalizing and offering this service in a more public forum and on an

individual item basis. We are not interested in creating a price guide or

telling anyone what they should ask or pay for their collectibles. However,

collectors should be interested in the process and criteria an insurance

company goes through when and if a claim is filed or what the IRS, a

financial institution or legal system requires when collectibles become an

issue.

Comicartappraisal.com has been an active web site for over five years, it is

being updated . I have a long detailed explanation as to the what, why and

how that I doubt many will take the time to read but it will all be out

there soon. In the meantime, I am surprised that no one picks up the phone

or sends an email to ask before they condemn. Those of you that know us

realize that we have been among the most visible and accessible people in

the hobby and hopefully realize that we have always acted on behalf of those

in the field.

Joe Mannarino

All Star Auctions LLC

Comic Art Appraisal LLC"

I am in agreement with what Gene stated. Too much of it is subjective..Detecting restoration, determining authenticity, grading the condition all sounds good, but the rest of it is a definite no go. And how does one determine that the piece that was examined is the same one, in the same condition, a year later? Does it get a slab? The thought of putting comic art in a slab is laughable. I don't think it will fly.

Can you imagine flipping through a long box of encapsulated art? 27_laughing.gif

Can you imagine flipping through a long box of encapsulated art? 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif "Boy, I love that Ditko ASM splash from issue 12, but it's only graded an 85 (throws it to the side in disgust) I'm holding out for a 90 example."

Here's my "Potential Points" criterias for comic art:

T&A - 50

Panels with DSL: 10

Girls in G-stings: 10

Pole Dancing Scenes: 5

HOT CHICKS!: 25

TOTAL: 100 grin.gif

"Gimme some Sugaar Baby...It's good to be the KING!" 27_laughing.gif

Hart, what's your address? I have quite a few pages I know would be perfect "100.0"s by your scale grin.gif

On the other hand I have been doing OA Appraisals for about 10 years now everytime I buy or sell a page. So far its worked out pretty good for me confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

Mike

Hart, what's your address? I have quite a few pages I know would be perfect "100.0"s by your scale grin.gif

On the other hand I have been doing OA Appraisals for about 10 years now everytime I buy or sell a page. So far its worked out pretty good for me confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

Mike

Hey Mike....please send all 100 point T&A art to my new home at "Captain Cremes"...where I'll be exchanging OA for lap dances. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Same here...I've been doing it for about 6 years with no problems....plus using CAF's auction data helps as well.

my 2 cents.

This service is the goofiest thing I've seen in a long time. It is a simple matter to get an appraisal from a local comic store owner, etc. for insurance purposes. Or, photograph it and send in the photo to the insurance company. I think I am going to start a service appraising emails for content, clarity, creativity, and coloring.

This service is the goofiest thing I've seen in a long time. It is a simple matter to get an appraisal from a local comic store owner, etc. for insurance purposes. Or, photograph it and send in the photo to the insurance company. I think I am going to start a service appraising emails for content, clarity, creativity, and coloring.

I agree... this is a huge waste of time. It reminds me of the "Scrapbooking" store that opened in a local strip mall. Gone within months.

Where's the demand for this type of thing?

I agree... this is a huge waste of time. It reminds me of the "Scrapbooking" store that opened in a local strip mall. Gone within months.

Where's the demand for this type of thing?

scrapbooking store?

Ummm just to let you guys know. Scrapbooking is HUGE among my wife and all her friends. They have scrapbooking parties where the hostess sells them stuff and they get togeather and have little scrapbooking gatherings where they literally make pages and whatever. Its sort of replaced photo albums. They make elaborate pages and then put a few photos on the page. Not saying I understand the love of it or anything...but its huge, at least around the midwest. Also its a nice reletively cheap hobby compared to buying original art. Heh.

Scrapbooking is HUGE in Vancouver, Canada. Women over 30 visit their scrapbooking club once a week & get emailed monthly sales flyers. Lots of single women there especially maids of honors building scrapbooks for their friend's wedding.

Men usually lean towards pics of weddings or San Diego comic-con on cd-rom with 3 minute appropriate soundtrack. flowerred.gif

Hey guys!

Since this strings seems to mirror the one on the comicart-l list I will repeat my post and again offer to discuss the project wih anyone interested.

Interesting debate- frankly, surprised it took this long and yes, hopefully all will become clear when the site is fully completed. We appreciate the input and realize it is difficult to enter into a debate without all the facts. Suffice it say that this is just an extension of the formal appraisals that we have been doing for over 20 years. All we are doing now is formalizing and offering this service in a more public forum and on an individual item basis. We are not interested in creating a price guide or telling anyone what they should ask or pay for their collectibles. However, collectors should be interested in the process and criteria an insurance company goes through when and if a claim is filed or what the IRS, a financial institution or legal system requires when collectibles become an issue.

I have a long detailed explanation as to the what, why and how that I doubt many will take the time to read but it will all be out there soon. In the meantime, I am surprised that no one picks up the phone or sends an email to ask before they condemn. Those of you that know us realize that we have been among the most visible and accessible people in the hobby and hopefully realize that we have always acted on behalf of those in the field.

Joe Mannarino

Comicartappraisal.com

Allstarauctions.net

"However, collectors should be interested in the process and criteria an insurance company goes through when and if a claim is filed or what the IRS, a financial institution or legal system requires when collectibles become an issue."

This is where I see the potential for this. I, as an OA owner, would be at a loss if anything (fire, flood, etc) happened to my pieces.

This is the same thing CGC does. When a CGC book is lost in disaster or stolen. The owner can have CGC verify the issue, title, and condition of the book. This has worked for our submitters with both the police dept and insurance companies.

I have known Joe and Nadia for a long time, they are both great people. I wish them the best of luck with this and will be sending in a piece of my art next week to see how it works. You never know unless you test something......

...And most importantly Steve is a devoted father.

Proof of ownership

Proof of authenticity

are the first 2 criteria an institution looks at. By having an item verified and in a 3rd party database you automatically accomplish both.

Joe