• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

putting mylar and backing in portolio

12 posts in this topic

does anyone put their original art in mylar and acid free backing board before putting it in an itoya portfolio? is that overkill? does it ruin the portfolio with the extra weight?

Using 4 mil mylars with backing boards will stretch out the Itoya and make it unsuitable for other use once the pages are removed.

I purchase 2 mil mylars with a flap and backing board and then place them into itoyas, but then only 1 per page (not on both sides of an itoya page). You might not think that 2 mils difference would matter but it does. Between the 2 mils and not overfilling the itoya it works out pretty well.

I purchased a pro portfolio (one of those zippered ones with the acetate sleeves) for all the higher end pieces. In this portfolio I use the 4 mil bags with boards and it does not cause any problems.

Hope this helps.

Chris

does anyone put their original art in mylar and acid free backing board before putting it in an itoya portfolio? is that overkill? does it ruin the portfolio with the extra weight?

Using 4 mil mylars with backing boards will stretch out the Itoya and make it unsuitable for other use once the pages are removed.

I purchase 2 mil mylars with a flap and backing board and then place them into itoyas, but then only 1 per page (not on both sides of an itoya page). You might not think that 2 mils difference would matter but it does. Between the 2 mils and not overfilling the itoya it works out pretty well.

I purchased a pro portfolio (one of those zippered ones with the acetate sleeves) for all the higher end pieces. In this portfolio I use the 4 mil bags with boards and it does not cause any problems.

Hope this helps.

Chris

hey Chris,

yes it does. thanks.

i have a couple more questions.

1. are u using full-back or half-back boards?

2. are u putting the OA in the mylar with the board as well? or does the OA reside strictly within the itoya pocket?

stan

hey Chris,

yes it does. thanks.

2. are u putting the OA in the mylar with the board as well? or does the OA reside strictly within the itoya pocket?

stan

No Problem,

1) I buy from BagsUnlimited.com and they only have 1 kind of board so I don't think there is a difference in thickness...it is bright white both sides though.

2) I put all my art in mylars and board them all, then they are placed in the itoya sleeved or the zippered portfolio acetate sleeves

I am not sure if I answered this 2nd one correctly. Hope it helps.

Chris

No Problem,

1) I buy from BagsUnlimited.com and they only have 1 kind of board so I don't think there is a difference in thickness...it is bright white both sides though.

2) I put all my art in mylars and board them all, then they are placed in the itoya sleeved or the zippered portfolio acetate sleeves

Chris

hey Chris,

i get it now. i was confused when u said u used only 1 page of the itoyas. i thought u meant u put the mylar and backing in 1 page but still used both sides to OA.

i will experiment with the 2 mil mylar and half-back backing boards.

thanks, stan

I hate to bring this one back from the dead, but i'm trying to find the perfect high-end OA page storage. Stanicus, where do you get the pro portfolios at? Keep in mind im pretty new to OA collecting. I'm just looking for the best way to display and preserve my good stuff. Thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi Chris; just received my first order from Bags Unlimited. I ordered the size for twice up pages and backing boards. Well, the boards stick out of the mylars 1/4 inch. Bummer! Do you have this happen with them? I'm going to call them on Monday but since they sold me this combo I'm not sure what they will suggest other than sending them back or trimming them myself. I'll probably trim but won't order these again. Dan

hey Chris,

yes it does. thanks.

stan

No Problem,

Chris

Hi Chris; just received my first order from Bags Unlimited. I ordered the size for twice up pages and backing boards. Well, the boards stick out of the mylars 1/4 inch. Bummer! Do you have this happen with them? I'm going to call them on Monday but since they sold me this combo I'm not sure what they will suggest other than sending them back or trimming them myself. I'll probably trim but won't order these again. Dan

Mine are usually Flush board to bag with sometimes an 1/8 of an inch of board sticking out of the bag (depending on how completely I push it down inside the mylar). 1/4" seems like more than I have seen though.

That's a problem I have never had with them...sorry about that.

Chris

I hate to bring this one back from the dead, but i'm trying to find the perfect high-end OA page storage. Stanicus, where do you get the pro portfolios at? Keep in mind im pretty new to OA collecting. I'm just looking for the best way to display and preserve my good stuff. Thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

"archival safe" portfolios are the way to go. if u search through the old threads, the majority use the Itoya brand of portfolios. my local art supply shop has Itoya as well as some no name brand that is cheaper. i opted to use the brand name.

i have a 13"x19" for single pages and a 18"x24" for double page spreads. if u are looking to save on shipping and buy from a local art shop, i would check if u have a Pearl Paint or an Utrecht Art Supplies shop in your area. both chains have decently priced Itoya portfolios. the Pearl Paint shop i went into did not have portfolios in the sizes i want in stock. i ended up buying them from Utrecht during its end of summer sale. both chains have sales every so often so if u are not in a hurry, might as well wait a bit to save a few bucks.

i hope this helps.

s