• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell VG-ish Bronze keys?

10 posts in this topic

I've got a nice set of VG bronze keys, just about all of them, from a collection I have been processing. What's the current concensus on how to get the best return selling them? Since the market is so active on eBay, I have been toying with just listing them raw and hope for a bidding war on a listing with big scans, clear descriptions and positive feedback. Then again, I know how often I get asked for them at shows.

Or, I could just list them in my eBay store priced at the high side and take offers for awhile on them.

Then there's the CGC option, but I hate to get back 4.0s to 5.0s. Although these are moderns and won't break the market price limit and get bumped.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I have to tell this story of the Hulk 181. The seller told me it was in 'poor' condition, so I wrote it off from the start and didn't look at it. Said the MVS was out. I finally unearth the thing, and it looks like a G/VG with a marker color-in of a crease that must have been someone just fooling around. So I page through it to count pages and see how mangled the page is with the MVS, and the MVS is there along with a full set of wraps. So I keep looking at the book, and something is just "wrong". Can't describe it. Finally I notice that there is a thin strip of tape up and down the inside front cover from top to bottom right at the spine. Closer inspection revealed that the entire front cover was sliced off and taped back on in an expert fashion. You can't even tell from the outside unless you knew it had been done. You can barely tell from the inside. Just when you think you have seen it all... :-)

Oh, and the kicker - had a $150 price on it, probably purchased in the 1980 time frame.

set up a new ID, take tiny pictures and sell them all as "NM"

just kidding, although that seems to be the way most people sell these books

sign-funnypost.gif

And don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

Sell them in lots of 5-10, by genre or title, on eBay. If you are going with titles, mix them up...do not sell them in a run...

I did this very effectively a couple years back...

Jim

I agree...lots work best...or as another suggested charity or a local cause.

once again, if they're bonafide keys and aren't UG-LEE, they might sell ok on their own, particularly if pre-1977/76, though that worked better with stores. A lot of people don't seem to mind spending $5-$6 + s/h for a VG book that guides for $12 in VG and $70 or whatever in NM.