• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

Been here for a bit now, just found this thread...I have been collecting ASM for a good while.

I currently have from issue #59 to ASM #700 (excluding variants) in a perfect run. Issues below #59 that I have are #39, #46,#50 and #56

Issues that I am still missing...#1 - #38, #40 - #45, #47-#49, #51 - #55, #57 and #58...

My 'attainable' goal is to get a complete run from #50 to present. I collect a mix or raw and CGC books. The lowest grade I shoot for on Silver Age ASM's is 6.0 - But I feel more comfortable with nice looking 7.0 - 8.0's...

Unfortunately, I probably never will be able to crack AF #15 and the other earliest ASM books...And that has actually made me think quite a lot about my collecting habits..Do I keep working towards the "impossible dream", sell off the run (but keep my keys) and every other non-ASM book to help get a few key books (but I don't know if I could do that...) or maybe just move on to something completely different and forget about the ol Webhead...Realistically though, I don't think that last option will ever happen though...Anyone else have this dilemma?

Anyway, here are my current top two CGC'ed Silver Age ASM's...

ASM39_zpsfd09f05b.jpg

ASM50_zps0a7dca7e.jpg

And while not 'super valuable' this is my ASM #62, one of my fave covers by JR Sr.

ASM62_zps7c7808cf.jpg

I finally found out why i can never find a issue of ASM 14 this guy with his 40 plus copies!

yeah, thats a scam! There was a thread a week or 2 ago about this guy and how all his books are HEAVILY restored or damaged and ripped off some boardie he met at the airport for a sale :gossip:

At first glance it's impressive but then you look closer and see most of them are beaters and readers with the spines almost completely obliterated. Not that he seems to care much considering how he handles them and how precariously that box was to perched near the edge of the bed. I was waiting for the whole thing to fall over. AF15 beater still looks good but after what sufunk mentioned they all just seem even more dubious. He definitely hoards 14s and 6's.

I finally found out why i can never find a issue of ASM 14 this guy with his 40 plus copies!

yeah, thats a scam! There was a thread a week or 2 ago about this guy and how all his books are HEAVILY restored or damaged and ripped off some boardie he met at the airport for a sale :gossip:

:o wonder where I was when this was happening.

At first glance it's impressive but then you look closer and see most of them are beaters and readers with the spines almost completely obliterated. Not that he seems to care much considering how he handles them and how precariously that box was to perched near the edge of the bed. I was waiting for the whole thing to fall over. AF15 beater still looks good but after what sufunk mentioned they all just seem even more dubious. He definitely hoards 14s and 6's.

I have Spiderman 6 and 14 but I could use a Spiderman 2. Do you think he has one to spare?

5985339912_07e20edfd4_b.jpg

Been here for a bit now, just found this thread...I have been collecting ASM for a good while.

Me too! I don't wonder in to the silver age section all that much though which might explain it...

I'm filling in my run on ASM slowly but surely. Like a lot of people, I'm working my way down. Right now I've got from 140 to present, but I'm not missing all the much down to 20.

My goal this year is a copy of 129 in around a 9.0 range, but that is going to be tough. From there it'll be easy to fill my gap from 100 to present though as I only have a few holes.

My biggest hole, obviously, is from 1-19. Right now I've got pretty nice copies of 3, 7, 12, and 14 respectively.

My focus is mostly readers. I've refused to buy trades or collection of ASM. Thus as I buy issues it is a blast to read them. I generally only buy graded copies of stuff I've got as readers or have as reprints. I do have some of the early stuff in trades that were given to me or stuff that was reprinted in anthology titles.

Here is my copy of 3 I bought of DSCott on the boards (sorry for awful pics):

photo1-1_zpsef08ee89.jpg

Back in the #1 Club thx to Adam/filter81! :whee::headbang:

Need 4 more issues to complete my 1-41 run in 9.0 or better... :wishluck:

amazing_spider-man_1_cgc_9_0_oww_1059307001_zpsf35a3211.jpg

I see it's restored and has some work done on it and I don't usually care for those but DAMN that is a great looking copy. :cloud9: Those colors are so nice. Might be making me think twice about restoration for keeper and display purposes.