• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Don't buy a lot of Marvels these days because my wantlist is sparse and on the low number side, but managed to pick up 3 of the Amazing Spider-Man issues still on my list. Only 4 more to go!

Amazing%20Spider-Man004_zpspgqmbkbh.jpg

Amazing%20Spider-Man006_zpskfnqj9aa.jpg

Amazing%20Spider-Man013_zpslulx910n.jpg

Glad to see I am not the only one that does not have a problem completing runs with lower grade reading copies. :applause: (thumbs u

Hey, pretty much my entire collection is lower grade copies!

Don't buy a lot of Marvels these days because my wantlist is sparse and on the low number side, but managed to pick up 3 of the Amazing Spider-Man issues still on my list. Only 4 more to go!

Glad to see I am not the only one that does not have a problem completing runs with lower grade reading copies. :applause: (thumbs u

nice pick ups :) I've always liked the Spidey pose on the 13.

nice pick ups :) I've always liked the Spidey pose on the 13.

I've always liked the cover to #13, period. It's one of my favorites from the run. I like the blue title logo, I like the font on Mysterio's name, I like the action pose of both Spidey and Mysterio, and I even like the understated teaser panels on the bottom edge. This is a cover that completely works, IMHO.

Well, when you look through these threads and see all of the higher grade CGC books being shown off it makes you think that you are the only one with low grade copies of anything.

Well, when you look through these threads and see all of the higher grade CGC books being shown off it makes you think that you are the only one with low grade copies of anything.

Yeah, I think most of my posts in these threads start off with some variation of "Too many purdy books, take a look at my crappy ones!"

That said, I really think you should start replacing your low grade early Spidey's and FFs with nicer books, and selling off the low grade ones cheap. :whistle:

Those are 3 biggies! Solid days work, there!

Thanks. Won all the Spider-Man issues I bid on in the auction on the same day - which of course made me think I was paying too much! lol

Gotta love the summer, I guess.

I like myself some low grade ASMs. Thought I'd post some of my worst for your viewing pleasure:

ASM 22: This one has every woman's lips colored pink throughout the book

2i88yns.jpg

ASM 11: Big glaring piece missing and attempted restoration

2s0xwkj.jpg

ASM 12: math problems and tape

2uyllbb.jpg

ASM 6: coupon cut out :cry:

10f3wa0.jpg

ASM 20: pin-up missing :cry:

2yn555x.jpg

and last but not least.....this one's a little gross even for me:

2hqe73r.jpg

I like myself some low grade ASMs. Thought I'd post some of my worst for your viewing pleasure:

2i88yns.jpg

2s0xwkj.jpg

2uyllbb.jpg

10f3wa0.jpg

2yn555x.jpg

2hqe73r.jpg

(worship) I concede, you have bested me in crappiness! I have finally found someone who might buy my books in an attempt to upgrade. lol

I salute you, sir! :applause: (thumbs u :golfclap:

2i88yns.jpg

2s0xwkj.jpg

2uyllbb.jpg

10f3wa0.jpg

2yn555x.jpg

2hqe73r.jpg

(worship) I concede, you have bested me in crappiness! I have finally found someone who might buy my books in an attempt to upgrade. lol

I bought/buy what I can afford and was/am only looking to complete my runs which makes me a very happy camper but when it comes to low grade... :acclaim:

2mw9nv8.jpg

291p6di.jpg

2nvdq0.jpg

lol I would definitely like to upgrade the ASM Annual 1 one of these days. That's probably my top upgrading priority..

I have a couple of copies for sale if you are interested :baiting:

2i88yns.jpg

2s0xwkj.jpg

2uyllbb.jpg

10f3wa0.jpg

2yn555x.jpg

2hqe73r.jpg

I bought/buy what I can afford and was/am only looking to complete my runs which makes me a very happy camper but when it comes to low grade... :acclaim:

2mw9nv8.jpg

291p6di.jpg

2nvdq0.jpg

Some real doozies there, That's for sure.

So let me ask both of you something (although spracknetch23 kinda answered already) - do you buy these books with the idea of replacing them in the future? I was just wondering, because most of them I probably wouldn't buy because I decided years ago that once an issue was purchased, it went off the wantlist forever. The only exceptions might be when I buy a group lot and there is something I don't own in the lot but isn't up to my (low) standards, I might keep the copy but leave it on my list.

Which means the lowest I go is a G that looks nice (yeah, I know some folks don't think such a thing exists), generally shooting for VG or so.

I generally like G to FN for the older spideys. I bought the Annual 1 when I was like 14 years old at a con (37 now)..I had no concerns about condition at that point, I just wanted the issues. Didn't think about upgrading or anything like that.

As for the ones with coupons or pinups cut out, my main concern is eye appeal, so I'm happy with those (as long as story is complete).

I've actually already upgraded some of my much lower graded issues.. even had a few coverless which are now replaced. So..I'm working on it. I don't have a large amount of $ in my budget for comics, so slowly but surely.

2i88yns.jpg

2s0xwkj.jpg

2uyllbb.jpg

10f3wa0.jpg

2yn555x.jpg

2hqe73r.jpg

2mw9nv8.jpg

291p6di.jpg

2nvdq0.jpg

Some real doozies there, That's for sure.

So let me ask both of you something (although spracknetch23 kinda answered already) - do you buy these books with the idea of replacing them in the future? I was just wondering, because most of them I probably wouldn't buy because I decided years ago that once an issue was purchased, it went off the wantlist forever. The only exceptions might be when I buy a group lot and there is something I don't own in the lot but isn't up to my (low) standards, I might keep the copy but leave it on my list.

Which means the lowest I go is a G that looks nice (yeah, I know some folks don't think such a thing exists), generally shooting for VG or so.

The lower grade books are the early issues that I did not purchase back in the 80's from the LCS/Cons before the prices skyrocketed.

I never plan on buying a lower grade copy to upgrade later.

I buy to complete my runs with first print/original issues and buy what I can Afford and then move on.(the exceptions are the #1's which are Marvel Milestone)

As long as the cover is there and the book is complete I am good, also have no problem with remainder copies of early issues if they are priced correctly.

The ultimate goal...Complete all runs before I am gone.