• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,150 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Karl Liebl said:

I only pick on you straw man because you have the hands down best ff collection on these boards. Truly awesome. The prices are insane but also exciting. It’s a major barrier to catch up collectors like me. 18 left to get and it’s going to hurt!  My wallet not my pride. Then when I’m done I can start grooming for better copies. It’s a hobby. That’s what we do!  Could buy a boat instead but nawwww. Only 30 percent have slabs. Time and money. Be well

not by a long-shot.   but i have the best one on my street!

On 8/8/2021 at 4:58 AM, namisgr said:

:grin:   That's a funny joke.

One of the things learned early on with comic collecting and the hobby at large is that there is nearly always someone with a better, and often far better, collection or run than mine.  If you collect Silver Age Marvels, Tom Brulato and a number of other collectors committed to snapping up the highest grade surviving comics out there will have nicer copies, nicer runs, and nicer collections than you or me.  

For the overwhelming majority of collectors that's not an objective.  I loved reading and saving Bronze Age comics when I first got into the hobby, then seeking out and buying nice looking Silver and early Bronze comics in favored areas of specialty, and finally building near complete or complete runs of certain titles for those eras.  Along the way, I also really enjoyed accumulating reader and reprint copies for the stories and art, and getting to know other collectors with passion for the hobby.  It's been really fun.

You've been an ideal steward, in regards to both the artifacts and the information .... I wish all advanced hobbyists were as open and forthcoming. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That would drive me (or anyone) mad.

True that.  I just wish sometimes there weren't QUITE so many people smarter, funnier, better looking, more athletic, richer, younger, and more successful than me.  :roflmao:

As Roger Sterling, himself a Silver Age man, said, “It’s called Confessions of an Ad Man. Please. It’s the book everybody writes, only he got it published. It should be called 1,000 Reasons I’m So Great.”

I'm perfectly happy to finish above the bottom 10.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, Mmehdy said:

Finally upgrading my  FF Marvel Masterworks  to the larger  and better colored  Omnibus which are finally back in print..2/3 with 4(new) to follow, got mine today for under $100 bucks, what a deal for the best of the best.

Great buy. No matter how many times the Omnibus series books are reprinted they melt away in the endless demand for them. I was lucky to buy all three FF books in their first printings. It would be interesting to compare the different printings to see if there is any subtle differences between them in terms of binding, print quality, paper stock etc.
Who knows?