• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,042 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on X-Men 1 and it's investment quality? Obviously, collecting what you like comes first and I still really want to get a copy of this book as part of my collecting focus. But, we all know books like this are also an investment at some level or another, and I'm just curious what your perspectives are on X-Men #1's place in the market (short and long term)?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on X-Men 1 and it's investment quality? Obviously, collecting what you like comes first and I still really want to get a copy of this book as part of my collecting focus. But, we all know books like this are also an investment at some level or another, and I'm just curious what your perspectives are on X-Men #1's place in the market (short and long term)?

I would think it has a pretty decent future, especially in HG. For an example, since I bought my copy last July, I have had offers of over $10,000 more than what i paid. SA X-men in general can be had for "relative" bargins even in HG in comparison to FF or ASM. So, I think there is room for it to grow and close that gap. Of course, I am biased. :whistle:

Ok... but how about the low grades? I know for low grade ASM keys, you're pretty much banking your bucks. But do you think X-Men 1 has the same solid "earning level" (I really do hate talking about books like money, but...) as ASM 1, ToS 39, IH 1, FF 1, etc, etc?

Ok... but how about the low grades? I know for low grade ASM keys, you're pretty much banking your bucks. But do you think X-Men 1 has the same solid "earning level" (I really do hate talking about books like money, but...) as ASM 1, ToS 39, IH 1, FF 1, etc, etc?

Yes.

I think a solid low grade X-Men #1 will always be in demand, more so than TOS #39 I would think. Just try to find a structurally low grade copy with decent eye appeal and a clean cover, as low grade white-covered books tend to look like dog mess.

Low grade and white covered are near oxymorons! lol Usually, I'm happy with being close to OW and when I do find a W background, it's usually a low grade due to an interior defect of some significance.

By the way--why the new icon? Much less intimidating then the previous (love that actor) though this one is a little easier on the eyes ;)

By the way--why the new icon? Much less intimidating then the previous (love that actor) though this one is a little easier on the eyes

Don't know. I'm really into her, I guess. ;)

Originally Posted By: Mac Man

I would think it has a pretty decent future, especially in HG. For an example, since I bought my copy last July, I have had offers of over $10,000 more than what i paid. SA X-men in general can be had for "relative" bargins even in HG in comparison to FF or ASM. So, I think there is room for it to grow and close that gap. Of course, I am biased. whistle.gif

WOW, KC, that's some quick and huge ROI in a short time.... :o

Here's one for ya, Mac... :grin:

Part of the Sid's collection but actually purchased at a small candy store in Chatham, NJ.

I was earning money over the summer of 1963 working full-time on a Rug delivery truck. I was having no luck finding either this book or Avengers #1 (which i never did own), and then i found this one that day on our lunch break. I read it in the truck and am not sure how it survived both the trip back to the shop as well as back home??

X-men1.jpg

X-men1001.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mac Man

Here's one for ya, Mac... grin.gif

Part of the Sid's collection but actually purchased at a small candy store in Chatham, NJ.

I was earning money over the summer of 1963 working full-time on a Rug delivery truck. I was having no luck finding either this book or Avengers #1 (which i never did own), and then i found this one that day on our lunch break. I read it in the truck and am not sure how it survived both the trip back to the shop as well as back home??

X-men1.jpg

X-men1001.jpg

^^

I know when I bought mine it was not for an investment. It is someting I can hopefully pass on to my son years from now. It is a book I have wanted since I was young and started to read comics. I think the popularity of it makes it a good choice for an investment but will it ever see the prices of a ASM #1????? :blahblah:

It would be nice if it were to rise in value though.

Either way I think it is a book worth owning. :cloud9: and worth more to me than any other book out there. :baiting:

Edited by mudbogger2